Hi! New 2013 WRX owner

This is a discussion on Hi! New 2013 WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys! I just bought a 2013 WRX and i don't know how to drive stick. I planned on learning ...

Hi! New 2013 WRX owner

Hi guys!

I just bought a 2013 WRX and i don't know how to drive stick. I planned on learning with this car, but driving in traffic has been nerve wracking. At least i'm not killing it getting into first anymore... well at least it only happens once a day when i'm rushing. If anyone could drop some tips or some support, please do. I'm loving this car otherwise.

Thanks,
    Brent

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Go to an empty parking lot and learn to get the car moving without hitting the gas. That will teach you the "catch point", and will make starting a lot easier. The only "difficult" part of driving a M/T is getting moving. From there, it's pretty simple; just practice.
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi Brent. Welcome!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Go to an empty parking lot and learn to get the car moving without hitting the gas. That will teach you the "catch point", and will make starting a lot easier. The only "difficult" part of driving a M/T is getting moving. From there, it's pretty simple; just practice.
    This is great advice. Get the car in gear without touching the gas, then you can learn how to slowly introduce the gas pedal to let the clutch out a bit faster.

Thanks guys. I'll take it to a parking lot and try to start it with no gas. Do i just let off of the clutch once i get moving or push it back in and start over?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentRageous
    Thanks guys. I'll take it to a parking lot and try to start it with no gas. Do i just let off of the clutch once i get moving or push it back in and start over?
    You slowly release the clutch. At the "catch point", it'll start to creep forward. Push the clutch back out when it does. Do this over and over to ingrain into muscle memory where that is. Because you have the hill-holder assistance system, my other recommendation of holding the car stationary on an incline doesn't work anymore. My driveway is a pretty steep incline, and I paired both the "no gas" and "stationary" trick to learn the catch point.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

From a stop, with the clutch depressed, push the shifter into 1st. Using only the clutch pedal (no gas), very slowly release the clutch. The car will begin to roll, and the engine revs should drop very slightly. Once you have released the clutch fully, you'll be rolling at a few miles per hour. Accelerate to 15-20 MPH and practice shifting to second. Do this a couple of times then begin practicing letting the clutch out a bit quicker and balancing the dip in engine speed with the gas pedal.

Can't go over 4k rpm until 1200 miles... Shifting into second is rough, unless i give it no gas until i have the clutch at the catch point.

hey Brent hows it goin man.Congrats on the new car!! I bought a 2013 WRX 5door in satin white pearl. Your gonna love the car soo much especially when you learn how to really drive it. I been driving stick my whole life and my dad taught me by telling me to get comfy with the catch point first so you know where it is and when you can expect it to grab. Another good tip if you dont want o be "THAT GUY" that stauls at a light or stop sign is to give alittle more gas than you reallt need and feather the clutch. You will control your acceleration with your clutch to get our of first then you shouldnt really be worried about stauling in secong gear. Gas will suck as your learning but at least you wont staul! lol Nice thing for you is that the 2013 model have a assit built in so that the car wont roll back when you put the clutch down and into first gear. IT will stay in place for a bout 4 seconds until you either let off the clutch enough to grab or give enough gas to go. it's pretty cool and I have never driven another car with that feature, not that I need it but for someone learning thats GREAT! feel free to hit me up if you got any questions. We're all here for ya buddy. PEACE drive safe.

@ERatic Thanks man! I didn't stall today for the first time, thanks to clutch feathering. This is day 5. Can't wait to check out the hill assist. I really don't know how to do it other than clutch feathering. not yet.