Hey everyone! Future WRX owner!

This is a discussion on Hey everyone! Future WRX owner! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, name is Anthony and I came here to do lots of learning and getting info about the car ...

Hey everyone! Future WRX owner!

Hey everyone, name is Anthony and I came here to do lots of learning and getting info about the car I am looking to get later this year. A 2013/14 Subaru WRX nothing special added just bone dry from the factory. I came to that decision because everyone I have talked to so far said it wasnt worth getting the extra stuff just add it later. (boost gauge, short throw shifter, navigation, SPT exhaust etc.) Get some aftermarket parts and they will be better and worth your money. This is going to be my VERY FIRST brand new car also very first Manual transmission car, as well as very first sports car. I am very new to this so any info that I can get would be great! I test drove one the other day and man oh man, I was convinced already that I wanted it but after taking her for a drive and letting it loose (it was a used 2012 WRX sedan with 8k miles on it) I absolutely fell in love! I cant wait to finally have the opportunity to own one and finally be in a car that I proud to own! Like I said any info would be great from you guys that already have one! Not looking to really race with it or anything. Just enjoy the way she sounds drives the power its more of just a fun car for me to own and go on some drives with my friends that already own higher HP vehicles! Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! Do you have any specific questions?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome! Do you have any specific questions?
    Hi there! thank you! Yes and no really? what would be "Smart" first mods. Anything I should look for when buying a brand new WRX? Has there been any concerns with the new WRX's? Anything that can help a new guy just getting into this would be great! Like I said First sports car ever. First Manual transmission ever! First brand new car ever! So lol anything can help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by NewWRXguy View Post
    Hi there! thank you! Yes and no really? what would be "Smart" first mods. Anything I should look for when buying a brand new WRX? Has there been any concerns with the new WRX's? Anything that can help a new guy just getting into this would be great! Like I said First sports car ever. First Manual transmission ever! First brand new car ever! So lol anything can help!
    There's a link in my signature that is a good place to start reading about mods and how you should do them with these cars. I'm in the "drive it for a bit and decide where YOU think it could perform better for you" camp, then you can use info on the forum (like that sticky) to make sure you do the modifications you want in a safe manner.

The 3rd gens have been pretty good. I think there have been some people who had issues with the clutch throwout bearing, and there have definitely been lots of people who develop a boost leak in the hose between the throttle body and the intercooler. Both are well documented on the internet in regards to what the symptoms are, and how to fix them.

I've got a question for you, how much are you paying? The main thing (to me) to look out for with a brand new WRX is whether or not you're getting a decent deal!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    There's a link in my signature that is a good place to start reading about mods and how you should do them with these cars. I'm in the "drive it for a bit and decide where YOU think it could perform better for you" camp, then you can use info on the forum (like that sticky) to make sure you do the modifications you want in a safe manner.

The 3rd gens have been pretty good. I think there have been some people who had issues with the clutch throwout bearing, and there have definitely been lots of people who develop a boost leak in the hose between the throttle body and the intercooler. Both are well documented on the internet in regards to what the symptoms are, and how to fix them.

I've got a question for you, how much are you paying? The main thing (to me) to look out for with a brand new WRX is whether or not you're getting a decent deal!
    Well a Base model Subaru WRX out here in cali (from what I seen) go for $26,500 which is right around what I was looking to spend I was hoping more like $25,700 because I am planning on getting the car completely stock nothing added from the factory so I am hoping I can talk them down and get it for that!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

welcome.

i've only been at the WRX / Subie game since August. i've dropped some serious cash so here is my .02 cents.

boost gauge: skip the SPT and get an electronic boost gauge. I have the Defi boost and oil pressure gauges in a SMY gauge pod.

short throw shifter: i have the cobb short shifter with bushings... 1000% improvement over stock.

navigation: can't help you there.

SPT exhaust: i was going to buy the SPT in the spring, but i ended up getting the GReddy SP Elite for a good price. it will be my 2nd exhaust i've tried. the first was the Invidia Q300 and it was eFing loud. *try to go hear different ones in person before you buy. the SPT is nice and I like the rumble...
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal