Soon owner of 2004 wrx in ATL GA!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Soon owner of 2004 wrx in ATL GA! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Little about me. My name is josh and I live In ATL ga. I'm 22 and have had the same ...

Soon owner of 2004 wrx in ATL GA!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	112275Little about me. My name is josh and I live In ATL ga. I'm 22 and have had the same vehicle since I was 16, a 1998 dodge Durango v8 4x4.. I found a 2004 silver impreza wrx at a local buy here pay here place as I have a crappy 500 credit score. It has 112,000 miles on it. And it's a 5 speed. I don't believe it has any mode except for I noticed it has an sti logo by the gear shift. Don't know if that matters. I should be able to purchase the car this week of I can come up with down payment. I wish it was white but paint jobs are expensive. I'm trying to found out how quick the stock wrx is in comparison to other cars stock. Say like a civic si or cobalt ss or Evo VIII. Sorry if those aren't in same league I don't know much but getting into the car scene now. It seems all wrx I see look a lot better then the one I'm purchasing. I think it cause they are lowering their cars. What are some upgrades to look into first ? I'd like it to be quick sound awesome and look amazing. And maybe what's rough estimate on some items. I have researched around but only info I find is on already modded wrx. And idk what parts I can get without having to get something else with it as I don't know too much about engines. I think lowering it with some white wheels and a good exhaust and bov would be awesome. Idk how fast the cars are yet tho to decide if I need upgrades there first or not.
    Last edited by Jboyd; 03-03-2013 at 06:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

See the link in my sig for a good place to start reading about modding these cars.

BOVs are generally frowned upon, unless you get a recirculating one. See here for more info on that.

Lowering: Be aware that once you lower past a certain point, you are actually probably hurting the performance of the car. Generally the advice you'll get here is that you should go with a good strut/spring combo with a bit of a drop unless you are making a track machine.

Finally, when you say exhaust, are you just looking for noise? If so, then look at catbacks. Anything more than that will require a tune as well.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Welcome to the forum Jboyd! Just wondering if you know any info about the car like any maintenance that has been done or what has been replaced. Around 105k you want to replace the timing belt, and since this car is at 112k it might be something you would want to look into, quite a costly fix for just buying a car.

As for Mods, I would say get a feel for the car first. Like you said your first car was an Dodge Durango, which is quite the opposite of a wrx. So learn the car, know its limits, know your limits and decide from there. Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply. Prob just want Exhaust for noise unless I can find one cheap enough that give a little performance boost. Idk how quick these cars are stock. I won't be taking it to track or anything just something fun to drive on the weekends. Only like bov cause of the sounds. I like the way a lot of wrx look but I think they are sitting lower then mine. Ill post a pic of the look I want to aim for.

Views:	42 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	112278

Quote Originally Posted by kord9 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Jboyd! Just wondering if you know any info about the car like any maintenance that has been done or what has been replaced. Around 105k you want to replace the timing belt, and since this car is at 112k it might be something you would want to look into, quite a costly fix for just buying a car.

As for Mods, I would say get a feel for the car first. Like you said your first car was an Dodge Durango, which is quite the opposite of a wrx. So learn the car, know its limits, know your limits and decide from there. Good luck!
    Thanks for your response. And I honestly don't know anything about the car. I assume that's something I should ask the guy at the car lot. Thanks for that cause idk what a timing belt even is haha. He only want $11,900 for the car as well. I have pics of the engine if that would help at all

Yeah no worries. Here is the maintenance schedule for the '04 wrx:

http://www.subaru.com/content/downlo...04SchedFed.pdf

As you can see at the 60k mark the spark plugs and fuel filter should have been replaced, which are certainly key. At 105k the drive belts and timing belt (aka camshaft belt) should have been replaced as well. You can print that out and use it as a guide to ask questions and find out what has or has not been replaced. And just because something was not replaced does not mean that the car is not running well, I did not replace my timing belt until 112k but at that point the car had a very rough time starting, so I knew it was time. But use your judgement or even bring someone you know that knows cars. Who knows maybe if there is something you can get the price dropped

Quote Originally Posted by kord9 View Post
    Yeah no worries. Here is the maintenance schedule for the '04 wrx:

http://www.subaru.com/content/downlo...04SchedFed.pdf

As you can see at the 60k mark the spark plugs and fuel filter should have been replaced, which are certainly key. At 105k the drive belts and timing belt (aka camshaft belt) should have been replaced as well. You can print that out and use it as a guide to ask questions and find out what has or has not been replaced. And just because something was not replaced does not mean that the car is not running well, I did not replace my timing belt until 112k but at that point the car had a very rough time starting, so I knew it was time. But use your judgement or even bring someone you know that knows cars. Who knows maybe if there is something you can get the price dropped
    Okay awesome thanks for that!! Happen to know what size wheel and tire I should look for as the stock ones look lame

Sorry man I am not sure off the top of my head. Have you been to the dealership yet to check out the car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum! One thing I think you might want to consider is you first want to make sure you are buying a reliable car. No use putting the cart before the horse if you know what I mean

Ask the dealer to provide as much service history as they can. If the timing belt was not replaced you can expect to pay near $1000 for that very soon after you buy it. Try and use that to your advantage.

If you do end up buying the car I would recommend to first make sure it is fully up to date with routine maintenance. I know this is all boring stuff and you're ready to start modding but, like I said that isn't the first step. You don't want to start throwing mod money at a car that isn't going to get you around.

To answer some of your questions: These cars are relatively quick in stock form. They are not EVO fast by any means but certainly faster than a stock Si. It is generally best to drive the car in stock form for quite some time so you can really figure out what you actually want to change.

The car you posted looks awesome! However, there is probably a good $10k-$15k of mods done to it. You can achieve a similar look for less but, putting cheap parts on these cars never ends well. For the stance you want you can look into coilovers or a good spring/strut combo. There is a ton of information here on both methods.

I hope this really long posts helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask, we are generally a nice bunch lol.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Welcome to the forum! One thing I think you might want to consider is you first want to make sure you are buying a reliable car. No use putting the cart before the horse if you know what I mean

Ask the dealer to provide as much service history as they can. If the timing belt was not replaced you can expect to pay near $1000 for that very soon after you buy it. Try and use that to your advantage.

If you do end up buying the car I would recommend to first make sure it is fully up to date with routine maintenance. I know this is all boring stuff and you're ready to start modding but, like I said that isn't the first step. You don't want to start throwing mod money at a car that isn't going to get you around.

To answer some of your questions: These cars are relatively quick in stock form. They are not EVO fast by any means but certainly faster than a stock Si. It is generally best to drive the car in stock form for quite some time so you can really figure out what you actually want to change.

The car you posted looks awesome! However, there is probably a good $10k-$15k of mods done to it. You can achieve a similar look for less but, putting cheap parts on these cars never ends well. For the stance you want you can look into coilovers or a good spring/strut combo. There is a ton of information here on both methods.

I hope this really long posts helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask, we are generally a nice bunch lol.

Thanks for all the tips. Just an update I got the car yesterday!!!! Runs great. Very fast. Here's some pictures.

Views:	25 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	112501

04 love

Get a compression test on that car as soon as you can. Never know if your motor is on it's way out, that's what happened to my 04. As the guys said, also check to ensure that the car got it's timing belt done, if not then you might be able to negotiate down in price.

Just an update. Car is running great did have to replace a sway bar link but that's it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.