Had to take off my muffler

This is a discussion on Had to take off my muffler within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I need to know if by having no muffler will it cause a issuse with back pressure? Can it damage ...

Had to take off my muffler

I need to know if by having no muffler will it cause a issuse with back pressure? Can it damage my valves?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Turbo cars dont require much back pressure, Ive removed my mufflers also and I noticed a little more top end gain from lack of restriction. Thats why alot of people go with catless downpipes. Less Restriction=better flow, beter flow=more power.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX_Unleashed View Post
    I need to know if by having no muffler will it cause a issuse with back pressure? Can it damage my valves?
    Why did you have to take off your muffler?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by anpato View Post
    Turbo cars dont require much back pressure, Ive removed my mufflers also and I noticed a little more top end gain from lack of restriction. Thats why alot of people go with catless downpipes. Less Restriction=better flow, beter flow=more power.
    Ummmm... you just said the restriction is in the downpipe, and you are correct. Anything you THOUGHT you gained by removing your muffler was in your head.

Also, the amount of back-pressure in your exhaust may be the only thing that stands between your boost control system maintaining proper boost and attempting to cram 26 PSI into your cylinders.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Ummmm... you just said the restriction is in the downpipe, and you are correct. Anything you THOUGHT you gained by removing your muffler was in your head.

Also, the amount of back-pressure in your exhaust may be the only thing that stands between your boost control system maintaining proper boost and attempting to cram 26 PSI into your cylinders.
    Possibly haha or maybe it was just the exhaust screaming at WOT
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I pulled it off at work, my N1 was supposed to be delivered to my house, but delivery is delayed do to weather.