New to WRX and Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

This is a discussion on New to WRX and Forum within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Good Day All, Got this about a week ago and have been looking at the forums to get some ideas ...

  1. #1
    Registered User killerchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6

    New to WRX and Forum

    Good Day All, Got this about a week ago and have been looking at the forums to get some ideas and info. Looks like a great bunch of people here that have a lot of experience and knowledge. So my first question......want to change the rotors and calipers and would like to get some ideas about the process and prices. Could probably do it myself but it would be outside in the cold (not fun). I am in S.W. Virginia about 2 hours out of D.C. That brings me to my second question...any reputable shops in this area? Dealership for this? Thanks and I look forward to learning more from you guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500.jpg  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,785
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

    Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for changing the rotors and calipers on your brand new car?

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  4. #3
    Registered User killerchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Welcome!

    Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for changing the rotors and calipers on your brand new car?
    Rotors are a little rusted and calipers are stock silver painted? I figured if I am going to drive it fast I might need to stop it fast! My last 2 daily drivers where 4 wheel drive dodge trucks. So this is my MLC car(44 this year). I want it to look as good as it drives!

  5. #4
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,785
    I Support ClubWRX
    Being able to stop is definitely important lol. And yes the stock calipers on that body style are silver. I also assumed it was brand new (oops) how many miles are on it?

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  6. #5
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,454
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by killerchef View Post
    Rotors are a little rusted and calipers are stock silver painted? I figured if I am going to drive it fast I might need to stop it fast! My last 2 daily drivers where 4 wheel drive dodge trucks. So this is my MLC car(44 this year). I want it to look as good as it drives!
    You don't need to change your rotors and calipers. Rotors will ALWAYS rust, but the rust scrubs off when the caliper makes contact with the pad (this is normal on any car). However, you would do well to consider the following braking modifications:
    1.) Stainless Steal Brake lines
    2.) A quality set of pads
    3.) Quality Brake fluid (Motul RBF or ATE Superblue is recommended)
    4.) Quality performance tyres (that's right, this is THE most important part of braking)
    Last edited by zax; 02-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  7. #6
    Hell on Wheels Rodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    237
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Nice to see another MLC purchase. I purchased mine last April @ fifty + years of age
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

  8. #7
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,980
    Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  9. #8
    Registered User killerchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Being able to stop is definitely important lol. And yes the stock calipers on that body style are silver. I also assumed it was brand new (oops) how many miles are on it?
    Just over 16,000.

  10. #9
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,904
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You don't need to change your rotors and calipers. Rotors will ALWAYS rust, but the rust scrubs off when the caliper makes contact with the pad (this is normal on any car). However, you would do well to consider the following braking modifications:
    1.) Stainless Steal Brake lines
    2.) A quality set of pads
    3.) Quality Brake fluid (Motul RBF or ATE Superblue is recommended)
    4.) Quality performance tyres (that's right, this is THE most important part of braking)
    I agree...I think you would be surprised how much this recommendation improves braking. It will be much cheaper than new calipers/rotors as well. If you don't like the silver you could always slap some other colored paint on the calipers too.

  11. #10
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,863
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •