First time Subaru owner! Intro and Questions! Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First time Subaru owner! Intro and Questions! Thanks! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Everyone, I just bought a 2006 WRX Limited Edition (Automatic) this past Saturday! It has 57,000 miles on it ...

Exclamation First time Subaru owner! Intro and Questions! Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

I just bought a 2006 WRX Limited Edition (Automatic) this past Saturday! It has 57,000 miles on it and I got a super good deal, will post up pics later!

Questions:
    Unfortunately, my check engine light came on yesterday along with a flashing cruise control...I know this may be an O2 Sensor issue....I really hope it's nothing too bad..the previous owner was using unleaded fuel and regular oil...I believe this may be a possible reason? What kind of gas and oil does everyone recommend? Supreme (middle one), or Premium (highest one)?

Also, what are everyone's recommendation on 'necessary' initial investment motor parts for performance that won't make me entirely broke?
    Any other recommendations are welcomed! Even the simplest driving and handling tips would be great, I am new to the game and want to become an expert at it and make my car last a very long time!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by guillenajr View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I just bought a 2006 WRX Limited Edition (Automatic) this past Saturday! It has 57,000 miles on it and I got a super good deal, will post up pics later!

Questions:
    Unfortunately, my check engine light came on yesterday along with a flashing cruise control...I know this may be an O2 Sensor issue....I really hope it's nothing too bad..the previous owner was using unleaded fuel and regular oil...I believe this may be a possible reason? What kind of gas and oil does everyone recommend? Supreme (middle one), or Premium (highest one)?

Also, what are everyone's recommendation on 'necessary' initial investment motor parts for performance that won't make me entirely broke?
    Any other recommendations are welcomed! Even the simplest driving and handling tips would be great, I am new to the game and want to become an expert at it and make my car last a very long time!

Thanks
    I would start by getting the check engine light looked into. Use the premium gas, and follow the owner's manual for the engine oil. I would tell you what I use for oil (5w30), but I am not sure if the 2006 uses a different spec than the 2011.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 02-11-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I would start by getting the check engine light looked into. Use the premium gas, and follow the owner's manual for the engine oil. I would tell you what I use for oil, but I am not sure if the 2006 uses a different spec than the 2011.
    Thanks for the reply. About how much does it cost on getting the check engine light looked up?

I Support ClubWRX
    They are going to whack you with an engine diagnostic charge most likely (if you bring it to a dealer)...I am not positive, but you are probably look at $100 bucks at the least...Thing that sucks about that too is you pay the engine diagnostic charge regardless of if they find the issue. Did you buy the car from a dealer or third party?

An Auto Zone or similar auto store usually reads the CEL code for free. For gas you should be using the highest grade up to 91 or 93 depending on what is available in your area. Normally you should use a synthetic oil blend of 5w-30 or 10w-30. Oil brand is up to you.

You should do a tune-up on your car first to make sure it is running properly. Then you can consider upgrading or adding in performance parts. Typically an aftermarket tune (i.e. the Cobb Accessport) would be a great start. Not really sure if you already have some parts in the car so list them if you do.

They are going to whack you with an engine diagnostic charge most likely (if you bring it to a dealer)...I am not positive, but you are probably look at $100 bucks at the least...Thing that sucks about that too is you pay the engine diagnostic charge regardless of if they find the issue. Did you buy the car from a dealer or third party?
    Yes bought it from third party.

Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX View Post
    You should do a tune-up on your car first to make sure it is running properly. Then you can consider upgrading or adding in performance parts. Typically an aftermarket tune (i.e. the Cobb Accessport) would be a great start. Not really sure if you already have some parts in the car so list them if you do.
    Where do you get the Cobb Accessport? Not familiar with what that is. Thanks for the recommendations. For the most part the car is stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by guillenajr View Post
    Yes bought it from third party.
    ok yeah in that case i would try and get it diagnosed for free so you at least know what the CEL code is. Once you know that post up on here and someone has probably seen it before. It will be helpful to list out you modifications (that you can see), and post a few pictures of the engine bay. This is what an accessport is --->AccessPORT. A lot of people use them for off the shelf tuning if they don't want to have their car professionally tuned (best route though).

BTW...Welcome!

Get the code read and any problems fixed before you start worrying about mods. Speaking of which, is the car completely stock?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, i would recommend the highest octane, like 93
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

ok yeah in that case i would try and get it diagnosed for free so you at least know what the CEL code is. Once you know that post up on here and someone has probably seen it before. It will be helpful to list out you modifications (that you can see), and post a few pictures of the engine bay. This is what an accessport is --->AccessPORT. A lot of people use them for off the shelf tuning if they don't want to have their car professionally tuned (best route though).

BTW...Welcome!
    Okay, I will try and get it diagnosed asap and post CEL code. I will also try and see what mods it has with pictures. I will also check out the accessport. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Get the code read and any problems fixed before you start worrying about mods. Speaking of which, is the car completely stock?
    I'm almost certain it's completely stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    Welcome, i would recommend the highest octane, like 93
    Thank you! Looking forward to spending more money on gas ha

pics or it didnt happen...... engine bay as well please!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast