Forum Stalker/Potential New WRX Owner TBD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Forum Stalker/Potential New WRX Owner TBD within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I'm currently checking out WRXs in the area 2011-2013 and cannot believe the reasonable prices for a new ...

Forum Stalker/Potential New WRX Owner TBD

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently checking out WRXs in the area 2011-2013 and cannot believe the reasonable prices for a new models. I currently have a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and love the way it drives, but I am moving out west later this year and will need AWD. I have owned two Subarus in the past (both SVX models 92 & 93), and loved the boxer engine. I really would like an STi, but I don't think it will be practical from a cost perspective for payment and insurance.

I just saw a 2013 WRB WRX sedan today and loved the look. Hatchback might be the way to go for utility, but it will be a last minute decision. Definitely want a sunroof, something my MS3 does not offer. If I can find the right STi (low miles around $30k), I might bite the bullet on the insurance increase (for me $37 more per month).

I hope this site is as informative as Mazdaspeedforums.org. I really learned a lot from those guys.

Does anyone have a firm date for the 2014 release? I don't want to buy new and miss out on a revamped model (or a steal of deal on a '13).

My purchase will probably happen by the end of April at the latest, so until then I will stalk the forums for information.

- Thomas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

usually manufacturers wont release that date until they get close to the quarter they will be releasing it in, just my 2 cents.

also a couple of 2013 used STI's in my area however they are sedans. GL hope you get a subie

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Re: Forum Stalker/Potential New WRX Owner TBD

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm in the Tampa area but looking all over the state. Used STi is probably the only way I will afford one. Sedan is looking better every time I see one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club. Check out Mastro Subaru in Tampa.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Welcome to the club. Check out Mastro Subaru in Tampa.
    Going there today. They have a bunch.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Welcome! You are lucky to be looking for these cars in Florida, they aren't so easy to come by the more you get into the snow belt.

Unfortunately, at this point, no one can really tell you anything about the redesign. Subaru keeps things pretty tight to the chest with stuff like this, so any "information" out there on the interwebs about what the new model will look like, what engine it will have, when it will be released, etc is all rumor and conjecture. I don't know how many times I've seen the same "spy" pictures of test mules posted up here by someone new claiming "this is the new wrx!!!" Meanwhile, half the time it is the same test mule that years ago everyone was saying "this is the BRZ!!!", or it is the hacksaw job mule they just seem to be testing drivetrain/suspension with.

If you don't want to wait and see then possibly have to buy a used car, you could always get a '13 now and if the redesign is everything you ever dreamed off, trade it in without having lost too much money to interest payments.

Good luck with your decision!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Test drove a new WRX sedan today. I have to say...I was not impressed by the 5 speed or the turbo lag. Definitely would need a tune and short shifter or maybe I'll just dish out more for an STi.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I no expert, but from what I've been reading speed wise stock they will probably feel about the same. The big difference will be the sti kills it in the turns

Maybe the one I drove just needed to be broken in. It only had 10 miles on it. Still want to drive an STi for comparison. I keep reading that 6th gear is short and could one of the reasons for lower mpg.

Sent from Cloud 9

Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin80 View Post
    Maybe the one I drove just needed to be broken in. It only had 10 miles on it.

Sent from Cloud 9
    Now, I of course was following factory break-in procedure so not exactly testing the engine out, but I do remember feeling like the engine took a little time to wake up even driving it conservatively for the break-in, definitely more than 10 miles.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe the one I drove just needed to be broken in. It only had 10 miles on it. Still want to drive an STi for comparison. I keep reading that 6th gear is short and could one of the reasons for lower mpg.

Sent from Cloud 9
    You are also coming from a fairly fast car as well. My car felt lightning fast compared to my old 2.5i...even during break in. Your car has more torque than a WRX does.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 02-12-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You are also coming from a fairly fast car as well. My car felt lightning fast compared to my old 2.5i...even during break in. Your car has more torque than a WRX does.
    Good point. My car is modded too, so I'm over 280hp and 300lb torque at the wheels. The 5 speed just turned me off, but maybe with a short shifter kit on it might not be so bad. I'm not giving up on the WRX just yet.

Sent from Cloud 9

I Support ClubWRX
    Good point. My car is modded too, so I'm over 280hp and 300lb torque at the wheels. The 5 speed just turned me off, but maybe with a short shifter kit on it might not be so bad. I'm not giving up on the WRX just yet.

Sent from Cloud 9
    I can see where you are coming from. One of the key differences in the STi is obvously the transmission, which is far superior to the WRX. Is it worth the price difference for the STi? That is a highly debatable topic, and boils down to what you want in the car. I think if you are looking for a fast AWD vehicle that is reasonably priced...You are looking in the right place. Plus, a few mods on the WRX (STS, shifter bushings, swaybars, downpipe, stage 2 tune), and you will forget you ever drove your mazda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast