Maybe a soon to be '13 Subaru WRX owner

This is a discussion on Maybe a soon to be '13 Subaru WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I'm chad and I'm new to WRX forums but I've been considering a new car for a while. ...

Question Maybe a soon to be '13 Subaru WRX owner

Hey guys I'm chad and I'm new to WRX forums but I've been considering a new car for a while. I want a car that will last and I've heard subies are decent in reliability. I want something fast but not something that will live at the gas station is the WRX a real gas guzzler? I also really like the fact that its AWD but I'm not sure if the WRX or STI would be better, I like the STI better because its faster but I've heard the ride isn't as comfortable. The WRX is nice because it has a little better gas mileage, a more comfortable ride, but only 5 speed trans. I want a car that would last me a while, I don't want to have to think about cars for a while. Obviously since this is a WRX forum the answers are going to be biased but what would be better to slightly mod a WRX or just get an STI.
    Thanks!

With great power comes great trips to the gas station.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Test drive everything! If the STI is in your price range and you're worried about comfortable ride, gas mileage and some speed I think you have better options out there. A4 comes to mind.

I'm not worried about a comfortable ride, sometimes its kinda fun for it to be reckless but I will probably be driving it on a regular basis, since I don't want to drive my girlfriends prius o_o but I don't really like the A4 because I like the idea of a hatch the Focus ST comes to mind but no AWD and not as fast and the Mazda speed3 would if it wasn't for that awful front end. Also gas mileage doesn't worry me a lot as long as its worth the amount of money I put in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadP777 View Post
    I'm not worried about a comfortable ride, sometimes its kinda fun for it to be reckless but I will probably be driving it on a regular basis, since I don't want to drive my girlfriends prius o_o but I don't really like the A4 because I like the idea of a hatch the Focus ST comes to mind but no AWD and not as fast and the Mazda speed3 would if it wasn't for that awful front end. Also gas mileage doesn't worry me a lot as long as its worth the amount of money I put in it.
    I came from a 2010 gti to a 2011 wrx. Gas mileage has been something to adjust to 20mpg was a bit of a shock but it amounts to a tank of gas a week. I haven't had a chance to do a full highway trip yet but with mixed driving at 75 highest I've seen is 23. I don't mind it because I really enjoy the car. Keep in mind the added insurance cost. I dont think the ride is bad I think its a bit smoother than my gti. If you are worried about the gas I wouldn't recommend the wrx

You might want to look elsewhere for reliability. With all the ringland failures reported lately i have been looking to get rid of my STI. I called and talked with SOA about the ringland issue and they are doing nothing to cure it. way to go Subaru they do acknowledge the problem though. Maybe look at the Mitsubishi EVO
    Second place just means you were first too lose!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
    You might want to look elsewhere for reliability. With all the ringland failures reported lately i have been looking to get rid of my STI. I called and talked with SOA about the ringland issue and they are doing nothing to cure it. way to go Subaru they do acknowledge the problem though. Maybe look at the Mitsubishi EVO
    What is the ringland?

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
    SOA confirmed a ring land problem? In what models?

What model year is your car?

Have you had problems? Is the car stock?

Thanks.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    SOA confirmed a ring land problem? In what models?

What model year is your car?

Have you had problems? Is the car stock?

Thanks.
    I just did a search it said '08 and up

I Support ClubWRX

I just did a search it said '08 and up
    SOA confirmed?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    SOA confirmed?
    yep

I recently just got a 2013 WRX and I absolutely love it. I got a premium sedan. I don't think gas mileage is the best, but hey! its a fun car! I came from an Acura TL which is rated the same amount of gas usage, but I find that my TL was more gas efficient. The meter on my car reads about 22-23mpg.

I Support ClubWRX

yep
    OK then I'd not buy.

yep
    Link please?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Here is a good read.

08+ Multiple Piston Failures (long read) - NASIOC

I have a 2011 sti it has not failed yet that i know of. It is stock no mods it eats about a quart and a half of oil every 3k. for 44k it is junk i would not recommend it to an enemy.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2349839

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKpt9hT5Mk
    Last edited by sportsman; 02-02-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Second place just means you were first too lose!