Another New '13 WRX Owner - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Another New '13 WRX Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On another note, didn't notice until after I ordered but the WHiteline diff inserts are listed as: Whiteline 08+ SUbaru ...

On another note, didn't notice until after I ordered but the WHiteline diff inserts are listed as:

Whiteline 08+ SUbaru WRX Hatch / 08-09 Subaru STI Rear Diff Mount Inserts
    Part NUmber: wIKDT903

Are these really just for the hatch? Are the rear diff inserts different?

Also, can't seem to find my 14mm socket. Fail. I really need to invest in a full set.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So I went ahead and ended up ordering the Kartboy short shifter yesterday. I had been planning on going with the Cobb adjustable SS, but decided against spending the extra cash for something I probably didn't need.

Speaking of spending cash on stuff I probably don't need...I also ordered a pair of shorty antennas for me and my girl, as well as a couple Greddy magnetic oil drain plugs for our cars.

Still waiting on another pair of H9 bulbs to show so I can up the brightness of her lights.

Took the opportunity to snap a pic of our Subies last weekend while they were both semi-clean:

Kartboy shifter, Cusco shorty antennas, and Greddy magnetic oil drain plugs arrived from RallySportDirect.com today.

Popped the shorty antenna on my car already and will do the same for my girl's Impreza when she gets home from work.

I think I might end up installing the Kartboy SS by itself for now, even though I have the front and rear shifter bushings to install too.

I'd kind of like to get a feel for the SS by itself before I do the bushings. I know I'll end up doubling up on some work, but I might order the pivot bushings and linkage bushings anyway. Besides all that I don't have a proper floor jack or stands to allow me to get under my car, not to mention it's still pretty damn cold around here.

Still need to do the pitch stop mount but I've been busy lately.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pics of the antennas? Also what does the drain plug do, does it just collect metal shavings in the pan?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Re: Another New '13 WRX Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    Pics of the antennas? Also what does the drain plug do, does it just collect metal shavings in the pan?
    Bobby, a magnetic drain plug will grab every bit of anything metal in the oil pan. I have one on the grand prix and last time I dropped the pan, there was nothing besides oil residue on the pan itself. The plug had some metallic sludge but it always would.

It is a good investment.

I only have before and after pics of the antenna that I got for the Impreza. This one was the Cusco "black" shorty antenna from RSD.

Stock Antenna:

Cusco "black" shorty:

Shorty Installed:

This antenna came with an "adapter kit" to make it fit the Subie. I almost thought I was going to have to send it back until I noticed the small threaded inserts and the black plastic ring. You can see them in the pic on RSD's site, but I almost didn't see them in the tiny little box.

The other antenna I ordered for my car was the Cusco "carbon fiber look" antenna. I didn't buy it for the fake carbon fiber, but because it looked like a different shape than the "black" version. Turns out I was right, and it's actually rather different and didn't require the "adapter" ring etc to make it work. I think it is more suited to the WRX, though I would have preferred flat black (they might make this and I just didn't see it).

I'll try and get some pics of it later.

As for the other part, yes the magnetic drain plugs are supposed to pull any small metal shavings/fragments out of the oil (or transmission, or rear diff). Not really something you want floating around in your fluids!

I Support ClubWRX
    how much are the drain plugs? i saw you were talking about the h9 bulbs, did you swap those in yours? the antennas look nice
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

how much are the drain plugs? i saw you were talking about the h9 bulbs, did you swap those in yours? the antennas look nice
    I picked up the Greddy MagDrain plugs, they were $18 at RSD: Greddy Magdrain Magnetic Oil Drain Plug M20 x 1.5 Subaru at RallySportDirect.com

There may be others out there, but I'm fairly certain most are around $20. The only magnetic rear diff plugs I've seen so far are made by Dimple, and are $35. I'm still looking for a magnetic transmission drain plug, but I haven't seen one. Maybe I'm just ignorant and it's the same size as one of the other plugs, or maybe the OEM plug is already magnetic? Not sure.

Yeah I just picked up the standard H9 Phillips bulbs I saw on Amazon for about $7 each. Last I checked they were even less. The mod to make them fit is real easy with a pair of small thin wire clippers and a small hobby file. Took me about 2 mins for each bulb. Light output is significantly better. You retain the factory beam cutoff unlike the cheap HID kits. I may consider doing a retrofit down the line, but I'm more than satisfied with the light output now.

Here's a dimly lit garage pic of the Cusco "carbon fiber look" antenna on my WRX. I'll try and take better pics sometime when it's light out.

Doing some more digging into the transmission plug and the specs appear to be: M26x1.5x16

Dimple makes one but for whatever reason RSD no longer has them in stock, and it says they may not get them in stock again.

This site appears to have them listed down near the bottom of the page: DIMPLE® OIL PLUGS ANNOUNCES CUSTOM MAGNETIC PLUGS FOR SUBARU

Slightly better pic of the Cusco "carbon fiber look" shorty antenna on the WRX:

Got my Anarchy Motive shift knob on Thursday afternoon and already loving it.

Also knocked the last couple hundred miles off my 1000 mile break in this weekend with a trip from Cleveland to Buffalo. Did my best to vary speed and RPMs for the trip there. Went over 1000 shortly into the trip home!

Been awhile since I updated...

Installed my Kartboy SS and TiC pivot bushings back at Easter. Was a pretty straightforward install, I went back in a second tme and added some more lube and made sure not to over tighten the bolt that connects to the shift lever. Still feels a bit tight and I think it definitely needs the shifter bushings installed now, I notice the squishiness much more now. Hopefully I'll get some ramps and/or a jack and stands around the time the weather gets consistently nice.

Still have my winter tires on, but now that it's getting warmer the summers will be getting mounted up after these puppies come back from the powder coater:

Also just completed a mini project I've been wanting to do for a while:

I know that shot's a bit of a teaser but my car is too dirty to be photographed right now. It's been rainy and will be for at least a few more days, so I just washed up the trunk area where the badges resided.

Despite the dirty car, I'm loving the clean new look.

Coming up for my girl's 2.5i...will be debadging and color-matching the chrome trunk trim with her OEM silver.

Dirty, but debadged and looking cleaner:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast