New WRX owner and to site.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New WRX owner and to site. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and just bought a 2006 Impresa WRX. I had a friend look over ...

New WRX owner and to site.

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and just bought a 2006 Impresa WRX. I had a friend look over everything as I know nothing about this car. He told me it's a stage 2 car with lots of after market stuff. I just have a few questions. The main one is when I'm gunning it say in 4th gear when I hit about 4500rpm all of a sudden the car stops going and I have to shift to 5th. When it kicks me out of 4th my check engine light comes on solid, cruise control comes on flashing. So I went to auto zone to get a code read out and it gave me a P0244 - waste gate selinod a... So I just had the guy clear the code as the car seemed to still drive fine. I was wondering why it did that and if I need a new waste gate? or did I possibly do damage? I've done this 3 times now in the last 2 weeks learning to drive and shift gears before this happens.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	111480

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

The code you're getting is because you're overboosting. Colder weather makes this a bit more common. Tweaking of the tune should fix that.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

and to fix the tune can I do? or just take it to a shop? and Yeh its been freezing here in CO

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome. how is it tuned now? did it come with a handheld tuner (accessport?)

also, i know you said it has a lot of modifications. i can see it has exterior things (front bumper, side skirts [the TR model didnt come with any], lowering springs, etc) but does it have any other engine work aside from a full exhaust & the tune?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

not a clue how it's tuned right now. I'm going to toss this out there but I don't even know what a access port is.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    an accessport is a handheld tuning device that you can buy. it comes with preloaded maps that you can flash to your ECU. there are different maps for different modifications.

i'm not familiar with the denver area but you might want to find a local shop that specializes in subarus and make sure everything is set up properly. these cars are extremely finicky so you really want to make sure everything has been modified correctly and you can get the most life out of your car.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

oh okay. ya I don't have that. I'll definitely get it to a shop to get it checked out and tuned. but as far as the check engine light, if I get it tuned will that stop happening? and thanks ;-)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xblitz151
    oh okay. ya I don't have that. I'll definitely get it to a shop to get it checked out and tuned. but as far as the check engine light, if I get it tuned will that stop happening? and thanks ;-)
    I believe The Boost Creep is somewhere in the Denver MA. A few dyno pulls with a WBO2 to make sure everything is in check should run you ~$75-125; absolutely worth it if you buy an already modified/tuned vehicle. Harvey would be able to take a look at the logs and tell you if there was something "off" and if you needed to get the car retuned.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I believe The Boost Creep is somewhere in the Denver MA. A few dyno pulls with a WBO2 to make sure everything is in check should run you ~$75-125; absolutely worth it if you buy an already modified/tuned vehicle. Harvey would be able to take a look at the logs and tell you if there was something "off" and if you needed to get the car retuned.
    Funny you mentioned him. I just talked to him yesterday. Plan to take it to his shop once my tax return comes in. although hes more pricy then that! thanks guys for the support!!

**Quote from his email**
    A map for a Subaru is $465. For this price you get a few different boost levels on a Cobb Accessport based tune as well as a valet map. I also include basic diagnosis and repair of anything I can fix easily. I can also do an open source tune if no accesport is used. I also offer a discount of $100with accessport purchase. I take a non-refundable one hour ($175) deposit to set up an appointment. If you give me one week (7 days) notice, I am happy to move your tune to the soonest possible date, and bump another project up. The deposit will go towards your tuning bill.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.