Semi-Newb with an 08
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Semi-Newb with an 08 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All, Im a club jumper from NASIOC and thought I would introduce myself. I'm currently stationed up here in ...

Semi-Newb with an 08

Hello All,
    Im a club jumper from NASIOC and thought I would introduce myself.

I'm currently stationed up here in Anchorage, AK untill the end of this year. I've had my 08 since 2010. I haven't done much to it since I got it and have been in a sort of upgrade stasis.

2008 DGM Premium Hatch---
    -Foglights
    -Seat Warmers
    -Dimming mirror with home link
    -All weather Mats
    -Extended Armrest
    -All around tint w/o front windshield
    -Debadged Sport mesh grille
    -Black and Red Rally Armor UR mudflaps
    -Partially (and Professionally) smoked tails
    -Led Bulb replacement
    -Red LED floor and cubby lights installed

**-Cobb Accessport - with Stage 1 91 Flash

I won't lie. I am an 08 owner with kind of a stigma. I had a choice between a OBP 09 WRX Sedan with ciggarette smell and bumper damage, or my 08 Hatch. Also I am a family man and wanted the space of a hatch. The hatch called to me. Even though I test drove both and felt more power in the 09 I chose the 08 (And don't regret it). Plus the 08 was unmodded and owned by 1 adult, it's hard to find a virginal. I'm not forking the money down for OEM parts to match a stock 09+, so I'm slowly working my way up to getting the stuff I want and properly tuned. It'd have been nice to start off with 45 more HP but what's done is done. And yes, I could easily and economically upgrade to a newer model (I only owe 10k on my 08), but I'm sentimental, and the fact that the 08 is the bastard step child of the family makes it all that more beloved to me, I even kept my signature Chrome trunk peice (I think it looks good in contrast to the tails, terrible otherwise).

I am an airforce mechanic with moderate mechanical skill. No tuning experience, and have barely used my accessport for much more than a glorified boost gauge. I haven't spent any time logging or looking. Also alaska only carries 90 Octane, so I've been running Chevron 90. Oil has been Shell Rotella.

I give this information because I am in need of a mentor. The AKIC is very close, but I think I'm the only one with an 08. Advice is normally given in the form of "get a MY12" or I'm given conflicting theology from across the board and for different models. I'm not buying a new car because I believe a car is what you build, not what you buy in cars like these. And I would see my 08 built and grow with me as my DD. My Short term goals are:
    -Catted Invidia N1 DP or Cobb Catted DP (Since I already have an AP for it)
    -Invidia Unequal length headers
    -Uppipe and Mid
    -Kartboy STS w/ Momo Gotham Knob (Gorgeous)
    -Misc Suspension upgrades, End links, bushings, springs etc. (For safe sporty lowering, not gangsta ass drag dropping)

So thats my life story folks. Any veterans with 08 and upgrade stories to share please bring my attention to them and your vehicle. Thanks for reading guys if you made it this far. Feel free to tell me if I'm blowing my car up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harris.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	111463
    Last edited by EnderX2; 01-29-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Picture add

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site

Because you don't have the best gas, I would strongly urge you to do some datalogging to make sure everything is running safe.

As for the headers, I'm really not a fan of UEL headers; I'd prefer a good set of EL headers (Invidia makes a good set for ~$850).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Welcome to the site

As for the headers, I'm really not a fan of UEL headers; I'd prefer a good set of EL headers (Invidia makes a good set for ~$850).

I'd heard we lose our rumble with equal length...fact or fiction?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EnderX2
    I'd heard we lose our rumble with equal length...fact or fiction?
    Fact. The rumble is the sound of inefficiency, though. Instead of sounding like a Subaru, your car will sound more like a Porsche. Better sound, more power; worthwhile trade, IMO.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Interesting, and noted. I'll definately do some research on this. I'd likely go with the DP next anyway if I didn't do something else cosmetic. I definately like the idea of more power.
    Last edited by EnderX2; 01-29-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Typo

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to the forum
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.