New with lots to learn - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on New with lots to learn within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EndlessSea or you could follow Cobb's directions. get a catted downpipe, have no stinky smell, save a ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea
    or you could follow Cobb's directions. get a catted downpipe, have no stinky smell, save a little bit of the planet, and have the same amount of whp as if you went catless. seriously you arent gaining a single horsepower at stage 2 power levels going catless.
    The difference in emissions between catted and catless is pretty negligible. You may not necessarily gain much peak power going catless vs catted, but you will gain some spool/response. The location of the cat will have an effect on how drastic that change is.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171
    I never had issues with my catless but make sure to do some datalogs to see if you're getting boost creep (boosting higher than it should), because the Cobb maps are made for a catted downpipe.
    Overboost != boost creep

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171
    Tone difference between downpipes, hmm...surely between types that have a cast bellmouth and those that are just mandrel-bent steel tubing there will be a difference in the turbo sound yo can hear, but I don't think it would change the tone of the catback to a noticeable degree between brands.
    There won't be any real noticeable difference in sound of cast vs steel bellmouth housings. The bigger difference will be catted vs catless, where the catless version will be raspier.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am open for suggestions on all accounts, I was unaware cobb ap is designed for a catted dp I want what is best for the vehicle that will also give the best longevity. I may just get the cobb ap and run stage one for a while i'm not sure honestly haha I hear so many ways of going about modding I just want to do it right the first time.

"Right" is always relative, but Stage 1 Cobb is probably the simplest, most worry-free power mod that you will actually notice a seat of the pants difference from.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    pretty much everything in a nutshell. good job! lol

welcome to the club, OP
    what she said, i need to copy and paste that thing for myself lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrewcasey
    I am open for suggestions on all accounts, I was unaware cobb ap is designed for a catted dp I want what is best for the vehicle that will also give the best longevity. I may just get the cobb ap and run stage one for a while i'm not sure honestly haha I hear so many ways of going about modding I just want to do it right the first time.
    Their map notes give you, the end-user, all the information you need to know about what is required to run a particular map, and what you should expect from it.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Their map notes give you, the end-user, all the information you need to know about what is required to run a particular map, and what you should expect from it.
    Perfect, I think ill start with a tuner and go from there, if there a pre existing tune on the ecu how do I go about changing that? And what are the benifets to a kartboy short throw shifter or like products?

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrewcasey View Post
    Perfect, I think ill start with a tuner and go from there, if there a pre existing tune on the ecu how do I go about changing that? And what are the benifets to a kartboy short throw shifter or like products?
    A short throw shifter adds 20hp. Stickers add 30.

A short throw is all about personal preference. It will shorten the shift distance as well as the height of the shift lever, with a slight increase in shift effort given a shorter lever. Some say it makes your shifts quicker. I just like it for looks and feel. The bushings take some of the play out of the shifter and make shifts feel more firm and positive, but with a newer car you might not notice much of a difference since your stock ones aren't worn out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post

HAHAH well since its only 20hp its not worth it
    Ill continue to do my research

I Support ClubWRX
    Perfect, I think ill start with a tuner and go from there, if there a pre existing tune on the ecu how do I go about changing that?
    The most common approach is to reflash the ECU. The two most common methods are Cobb AP and OpenECU. I outlined the differences a little while back:
    Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

And what are the benifets to a kartboy short throw shifter or like products?
    I'm of the belief that replacing the bushings is more important than replacing the shift lever, itself. There are four bushing sets to replace in the shifter assembly. Turn-in Concepts has both a bushing and bushing+shifter package:
    06-08 5MT Holy Shift Kit (Wide)
    TiC 08 Impreza Super Shifter Set

FWIW...I have the full Kartboy/TiC setup on my car. There hasn't been a person who's rowed through the gears on my car that hasn't wanted whatever remaining bushings I had that they didn't.

UNYSOC

You guys have been a wealth of information thank you zax Im sure more questions will come

I ordered the Cobb ap and will play with it tell I get my taxes back and will decide at that point if ill be going stage 2 or not. I want to first see how I like the OTS maps

New with lots to learn

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post

A short throw is all about personal preference. It will shorten the shift distance as well as the height of the shift lever, with a slight increase in shift effort given a shorter lever. Some say it makes your shifts quicker. I just like it for looks and feel. The bushings take some of the play out of the shifter and make shifts feel more firm and positive, but with a newer car you might not notice much of a difference since your stock ones aren't worn out yet.
    I'm upset... Someone told me stickers added 50 Hp!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

congrats!

Whats the best way to change the head unit, I have the basic hu in my 2011 wrx and was thinking about going with touch screen and nav. Is it possible to find a sock Subaru nav system and install so all steering wheel and usb connections are functional? Or is it possible to get a kenwood or like product touch screen that can support the steering wheel controls and usb connections?

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    I'm upset... Someone told me stickers added 50 Hp!
    I think it depends on how many stickers and what you put on. If you add a VTEC sticker it's @ 100 whp!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast