New with lots to learn - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on New with lots to learn within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving to work today half way through my trip I noticed a strange whine that comes from the ...

I was driving to work today half way through my trip I noticed a strange whine that comes from the front, and is only happening while accelerating at higher RPM's any ideas what this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrewcasey View Post
    I was driving to work today half way through my trip I noticed a strange whine that comes from the front, and is only happening while accelerating at higher RPM's any ideas what this could be?
    Could be any number of things. If you were in first or second gear, it might have been the transmission whining. You have straighter cut gears for durability, and they make more noise. Have you done anything to it, or is it still stock? I can hear my turbo whine with my downpipe.

I too went with Eric. The tune is amazing. Although I get a strange whistle sound if I accelerate hard below 3k rpm. Everyone and their mother said it was the IC to TB hose, so I changed it and still the same thing. Eric said it is either waste gate flutter or the turbo getting close to the surge line, either way its normal and don't trip. LOL. Apparently these turbo's spool very quickly, almost too quickly to go 3/4 to WOT below 3k rpm in 3rd or higher. Although I get it the sound in 2nd sometimes too.

bbrock171 have you experienced this at all? With TP or Cobb tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    Well I've only run a handful of tunes on only two cars, so that's a small test set, but my butt dyno tells me Eric's tunes are BA. My STI is etuned by him, and it literally forces me to smile when I'm going WOT. With the Cobb map, I was like "Fun, but meh..." On my WRX both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 were noticeably more aggressive than Cobb.

Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    I too went with Eric. The tune is amazing. Although I get a strange whistle sound if I accelerate hard below 3k rpm. Everyone and their mother said it was the IC to TB hose, so I changed it and still the same thing. Eric said it is either waste gate flutter or the turbo getting close to the surge line, either way its normal and don't trip. LOL. Apparently these turbo's spool very quickly, almost too quickly to go 3/4 to WOT below 3k rpm in 3rd or higher. Although I get it the sound in 2nd sometimes too.

bbrock171 have you experienced this at all? With TP or Cobb tunes?
    The funny thing is, this is the first time i've heard it. Its defiantly new and not from anything i've done.

Boost Leak? - YouTube

This is the exact noise I am talking about.

Mine only does it in first and second gear and it seems more like the noise you hear when you put a vehicle in reverse and go to fast. I am not in excessive RPM's just either.

Your's is the normal sound of your gears, kind of like a whine.

I hope thats all it is. Ill be keeping an eye on it and seeing if it gets any worse. Thank you for your input!

2011 WRX Nameless Performance axle back muffler replacement - YouTube

Listen for the "whine" I am talking about in this video. I know its hard over the sound of how awesome the exhaust is, but you can hear what I am talking about and its totally normal. I had 2 same model WRX's and they sounded like this.

I hope thats all it is. Ill be keeping an eye on it and seeing if it gets any worse. Thank you for your input!

Thank you hisdigness

Has anyone used the factory radio and added an amp and sub to it? Id like to know how it turned out and what the sound quality was.

Thank you hisdigness

Has anyone used the factory radio and added an amp and sub to it? Id like to know how it turned out and what the sound quality was.
    Get a JL cleansweep and it'll turn out fine

I Support ClubWRX

Re: New with lots to learn

I have the factory HU. Used a,JBL MS8, amp & sub. Sounds better than any aftermarket HU.

I considered the JL cleansweep, but the JBL MS8 gives you a lot more options for sound customization for a little more.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I got ahold of crutchfield and they said to get this guy here..

Scosche LOC80 2-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

Thank you hisdigness

Yeah, I had an Alpine Type R 10" in my homemade MDF ported and stuffed box with 1000w Kenwood amp. It was an amazing setup for the amount of power you get for the size. Plenty for that car, but it rattled EVERYTHING. I couldn't get rid of all the rattles no matter what I did.

Sure thing!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast