Rear Ended Advise Needed
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Rear Ended Advise Needed within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was rear ended in my 3 month old 2013 WRX tonight. Luckily I was rolling forward slightly and ...

Rear Ended Advise Needed

So I was rear ended in my 3 month old 2013 WRX tonight. Luckily I was rolling forward slightly and the other driver hit me lightly enough to not cause too much damage. All the scratches and scuffs buffed out pretty well but I noticed a small area of spider webbing. It looks worse in the picture with the flash catching it, but my question is well this get worse over time. You can not catch anything with your finger nail and there appears to be no cracking. I want to avoid a repaint for money reasons and for the sake of my metallic paint possibly not matching. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	111320

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's plastic, so you don't have to worry about it rusting. It may start to flake off at some point depending on what is holding it together still, so if you can live with the slight defect, no worries.

When it starts to flake off, and it will, then you can decide whether or not to have it painted. You can always try to source a used bumper from somebody, but I doubt that'll be easy to do. It is new enough you can probably just buy a new painted unit from Subaru, if you're worried about paint matching.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sorry to hear that! So lame. It will eventually break off and peal. You will need a repaint for sure. Make sure they use Subaru paint to get the exact match. Since your car is so new it should not look like way newer paint that then rest of the car (tends to slightly fade over time).

Also why not go through the insurance of the guy or girl who hit you. AFAIK all rear ends are the fault of the rear ender. Good luck either way.

Thanks. Im not sure that it will flake off as the clear coat is not damaged. You can run your finger nail over it and it does not catch anything. The problem seems to be with the base coat under it. Michigan is a no fault state so I am not sure that I can go after his insurance even though it was his fault.

A rear-end collision is always the fault of the person who hit you...although im not sure how this works in Michigan. If you got the other driver's insurance info I would definitely take a shot and file a claim with their ins. co.

If it were my brand new car, I would want to get it fixed right on their dime if it was at all possible.

What you could also do, as a short term fix, is get some touch-up clear coat and put some on to prevent the paint from chipping off. Just make sure to lightly sand the defect so the paint adheres to the surface.

EDIT: I didnt realize that the problem was with the base-coat underneath. As long as the clear-coat remains intact you shouldnt have a problem for a while.
    Last edited by Jlax2485; 01-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.

So I put the claim in the system and if I act upon the claim I am responsible for my deductible but can be reimbursed for it by my insurance company since I was not at fault. I brought the car by the body shop this morning and they seemed to believe that it will not spread or cause future issues other than maybe being a visible defect. Without a light on the car I can't see it so I guess I will need to get the car in the sun whenever I can to see if this is something I would want repainted. Such a bummer and a hassle with a new car.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.