Short throw shifter a big difference?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Short throw shifter a big difference? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I currently own a 2011 WRX with a short throw shifter. Will I notice a difference if I go to ...

I currently own a 2011 WRX with a short throw shifter. Will I notice a difference if I go to a STI without one? Is it drastic?
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't get what you mean...are you getting rid of your WRX for an STI?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

It is my understanding that the factory STS is not much different from original. Aftermarket is real different...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Short throw shifter a big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    It is my understanding that the factory STS is not much different from original. Aftermarket is real different...
    Agreed. Factory one is minimal. It does help though. You can use it along with an aftermarket one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yeah the factory STS only shortens throws by about 10% through changing the linkage.

The STI 6spd will already be a bit shorter of throws compared to the WRX 5spd...so it's hard to say what the OP wants to compare here.

Regardless...an aftermarket option such as Cobb or Kartboy would be better for significantly shortening throws.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Ok, that is good to know! Thanks for your help. I am working a possible deal to trade my 2011 wrx for a 2012 STI.

my original window sticker from my car says i have a STS but i planned on getting an aftermarket one anyway. but let us know how it goes

Tell you what: my wifes fozzy has regular shift lever, it's like night and day between it and my WRX...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    i love me some kartboy STS action
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

The dealership wants $600 for parts and labor to install it. I am guessing I should just wait on it and possibly do it later of it is not a big difference. Anyone have experience going from a short throw on a wrx to a regular shifter on a STI?

Quote Originally Posted by shamankjm View Post
    i love me some kartboy STS action
    Is this much better than the factory?

Yeah eff that. I would NOT pay that money.

Get the car, order a Karboy shifter (and bushings) for $175 total, and take the hour and a half to install everything yourself with some beers. It will be better shifting, shorter throws than the OEM option, and you'll have a sense of accomplishment with doing it yourself!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    The dealership wants $600 for parts and labor to install it. I am guessing I should just wait on it and possibly do it later of it is not a big difference. Anyone have experience going from a short throw on a wrx to a regular shifter on a STI?
    Not worth the cost at all in my opinion. I only have both because the option was thrown in for nearly free.

I'd get the kartboy and bushings regardless of the situation or model.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Blah blah blah something about penguins CowboyD Eng6ine's Avatar

Can someone give me a quick run down on what having a short throw shifter does? Like the benefits of having one?

Blah blah blah something about penguins blah blah blah
    Crazy is running towards what people are running from.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyD Eng6ine View Post
    Can someone give me a quick run down on what having a short throw shifter does? Like the benefits of having one?

Blah blah blah something about penguins blah blah blah
    Just what it sounds like. It is normally a shorter lever in place of your current shifter lever. They are intended to reduce shifter "throw" distance, and normally also reduce the shifter height overall.
    2011 STi Build Log

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.