Short throw shifter a big difference? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Short throw shifter a big difference? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mcgrewcasey Both I sprung for the Cobb since I found it on sale for a great price ...

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrewcasey View Post
    Both
    I sprung for the Cobb since I found it on sale for a great price and I really liked the adjustability. Crowd favorite on the bushings seems to be Kartboy, so that's what I went with. Install for the rear bushing was a pain, but it's worth it. Finish it off with a shift boot and new shift knob and it is a huge improvement over stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrewcasey
    Both
    Either lever is fine. Either company only does front/rear stay bushings, which leaves out the shift linkage and pivot bushings. Turn-in Concepts does a bundle with a Kartboy lever and all shifter bushings at a pretty good rate, so that would be my recommendation...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    The bushings are the majority of the upgrade. You can use both the factory STS along with an aftermarket lever, however. It would be silly not to upgrade the bushings, in my opinion.
    My car came with the STS from the factory (2012 WRX). Are you recommending the rear shifter bushing? I just want to check so I can take full advantage of the STS. It already is a huge improvement over my stock shifter on my last 2010 wrx. Thanks in advance for your response.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    My car came with the STS from the factory (2012 WRX). Are you recommending the rear shifter bushing? I just want to check so I can take full advantage of the STS. It already is a huge improvement over my stock shifter on my last 2010 wrx. Thanks in advance for your response.
    My car also came with the STS from the factory. I'm recommending you get the front, rear, linkage, and pivot bushings... along with an aftermarket lever.

The "factory STS" isn't a shorter lever at all... it's a different linkage & pivot point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I am not too worried about lever height, more so the throw and feel. I will take what you said into consideration. Like I said, the new factory sts is leaps and bounds better than the stock, and now you are telling me an aftermarket is leaps and bounds over the factory sts!

So research time. Prolly go Kartboy. Thanks again for your response.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    I am not too worried about lever height, more so the throw and feel. I will take what you said into consideration. Like I said, the new factory sts is leaps and bounds better than the stock, and now you are telling me an aftermarket is leaps and bounds over the factory sts!

So research time. Prolly go Kartboy. Thanks again for your response.
    Lever height reduction offers a much more dramatic method to shortening the shift length. I'd highly recommend them. Make sure you get the bushings as well (there are 4 types, front, rear, linkage, and pivot... get all of them). Give turninconcepts a ring - they make a nice package for you and have great support.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I test drove a WRX before I bought my STI and there is a pretty big difference between the 5 speed and 6 speed, but I'm not sure the actual throw is any shorter. You will definitely do a lot more shifting with the STI.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    I test drove a WRX before I bought my STI and there is a pretty big difference between the 5 speed and 6 speed, but I'm not sure the actual throw is any shorter. You will definitely do a lot more shifting with the STI.
    I think you mistook STS for STi .

Could be wrong, however.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Anyone have experience going from a short throw on a wrx to a regular shifter on a STI?
    This is what I was basing my comment on, but the posts did vacillate a lot between STS and STI. I had to go back and reread them to make sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123