Debating if I should get an WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Debating if I should get an WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, I am new to this forum. I was recently at the Philadelphia Auto Show, and got to see ...

Debating if I should get an WRX

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I was recently at the Philadelphia Auto Show, and got to see the WRX there- wow I definitely want one now. I currently drive a 2006 Acura RSX Base Auto with 67k miles- clean interior, but the exterior could use some work. I got keyed on my entire driver side quarter panel. So, I'm not sure how much I would get if I traded it in to get the WRX.

However, looking at a few posts below and looking at the different trims. I was interested in getting the WRX Premium (would like to have the sunroof and fog lights) in WR Blue and possible added on the cargo tray, and looking at the posts on the forums already the short shifter. Do you guys reccommend the GPS nav that they have?

How much did you guys pay for your WRX? and what is a fair price to haggle with the dealers for the WRX I want?

Thanks alot guys.

EDIT:
    As much as I would like the STI, it is way out of my price range. But just for a poll how many of you went for the STI/ the regular WRX.
    Last edited by xkadajx; 01-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'm newer here also. I've asked the guys and gals on here for advice on what to get wrx or sti. it depends on what you want to do with the car. wrx is capable of producing great powa and can handle quite well with minor mods (with my research ). i've concluded that i will place an order at the end of the month for a swp sti.

well i can just give you some opinions from experience, i was a salesman for a few years, basically with the paint damage to your rsx you'll likely get rough trade or maybe $1000 below. really depends on the dealer in your area. go to kbb or nada and look up trade in value and whatever the lowest is that's probably what you'll get for it give or take ~$1000. usually a car like that they wont even bother repainting and reselling. they will send it right to auction as is, which basically means their not going to give you a lot for it because they basically dont want it. seeing as they cant easily resell it for more profit.

on to your other concerns

the premium is cool, you get heated seats, dunno where you live but that might matter to you, worthless foglights(they really are bad) and a sunroof. if thats worth an extra $2500 to you then go for it. but if it was me looking at the premium, id jump the extra $1000 and get the limited, the HID's alone are worth that. plus you get leather seats.

but now your up to a 30k wrx lol. only a few grand away from an sti, which is why i went for the base wrx personally.

your price will vary by area/availability/options/willingness for your dealer to negotiate etc. but my pre fee/tax price on my base wrx was about 25k with a homelink mirror and sti short shifter so add $2500 to that for the premium package. then of course your local taxes and dealer fees to get to your OTD price

if your rsx is paid off id recommend selling it locally on craigslist or ebay. you will probably get more for it than the dealer will offer you and less hassle trying to figure all the numbers out at the dealer.

just an fyi. dealers LOVE trade ins, esp if you still owe money on it. and for one reason above all else. it opens the door up for them to really mess with the numbers and confuse the hell out of you with trade in value vs amount owed vs tax credit vs price of the vehilce vs a differnet amount owed vs this and that. you get the idea. they love getting you confused and worked up over the numbers that you'll agree to one without really knowing how you got there.

basically as an ex salesman, im just saying go in there with a level head, a reasonable number in mind, and dont be afraid to walk out and drive your rsx home. if the deal can be done they will call you back in 48 hours. if you dont hear from them in a week, then it was probably something they truely couldnt do.

on the note of your STI comment. dont feel bad for not affording/wanting the sti. assuming its your DD, for 35-40k you'd be better off in an audi or bmw anyways. unless its a track car, save your money and stick with the regular wrx

again these are just my opinions take them with a grain of salt
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 01-22-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Personally I used truecar.com to start, and went through that to Cherry Hill Subaru. The price for my base 2012 was 24,500 plus tax and title.

I too wouldn't have wanted to try and afford the STI, and since I never track the car in any way I am happy with the WRX as a quite capable fun daily driver. Is it as much of a beast as an STI? No, but for my purposes it is a great fit.

I wasn't worried about the nav unit for a couple reasons. I have a smart phone that can do the Nav function, plus Subaru stereos are not known to be all that good. People who are interested in that aspect of cars inevitably go aftermarket.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks for the input guys.

Endless: Thanks alot for your input. Definitely alot of good tips. I might actually just suck up the 1000 deductible for my insurance and get the key scratch fixed under vandalism. It'll probably have a better chance selling via craigslist then.

Calvinball: Nice! I was getting quotes through Cherry Hill Subaru. It's good to know I can negotiate 24,500 for a base model. BTW, how does this compare to your Type S?
    Last edited by xkadajx; 01-22-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xkadajx View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.

Endless: Thanks alot for your input. Definitely alot of good tips. I might actually just suck up the 1000 deductible for my insurance and get the key scratch fixed under vandalism. It'll probably have a better chance selling via craigslist then.

Calvinball: Nice! I was getting quotes through Cherry Hill Subaru. It's good to know I can negotiate 24,500 for a base model. BTW, how does this compare to your Type S?
    Might want to search around the local section. There's a guy from a dealer up in Rahway (I think) that supposedly gets great deals for members of the forum. I wish I had known when I just bought my car a month ago.

Now, I walked in with a printout from truecar to get that price. I imagine walking in without one may be a bit tougher. I also was fine with waiting for an ordered car, although technically the truecar price would apply if they had a car on the lot that day that I wanted.

I like it a lot more than my Type S. Don't get me wrong, I had that car for many years and enjoyed it, but having to rev to 6000 to really get the car moving got pretty old. The wrx is definitely quicker, and can go around corners better too, although not as smoothly.
    - Will

Ramsey Subaru is great too...if you need another quote ask for Clayton, he got me a great price on my 2011 and I know he helped out a few other people from this forum too. Easiest dealership experience I've ever had there by far. Good luck, you will love the WRX!

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Just a thought - most dealerships in NJ will deal with you through email as well. I sent out a batch of emails detailing what I wanted, the number I expected to pay (with links to my sources), and waited. Within 36 hrs I had multiple responses, most right in the target price range. I ended up getting the best deal at the dealer in Flemington and once the initial quote was set I then introduced a trade-in vehicle to the equation (avoiding the games that they will play with trade-ins). Worked well. I paid 25,100 for the base plus STS, dimming mirror and armrest extender.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Lots of great advice. I live in MN and when I was shopping mine I went to three different dealerships and got pretty much the same response when I asked about price negotiation. None, due to the backorder and demand for these cars. I ended up getting a base WRB hatchback as that was the only one available in the state and luckily came with the short throw shifter as the only installed option. After driving a friends of the same year, the STS is totally worth the upgrade. I could afford an STI but after doing research after research all the experts agreed that there are very few reasons to upgrade to the STI as they made the WRX so capable after 2011. If you plan to track day or take it off road regularly the STI makes sense. Otherwise I love my WRX as my daily driver

Exactly. Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be using it as a DD so the STI is impractical for me. I was also debating if I should wait it out and get the new redesign for the WRX but in the end I know it'll have a higher price tag on it, and it'll take a few years to work out the bugs/kinks. Getting the 2013 just makes more sense right now.

Exactly. Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be using it as a DD so the STI is impractical for me. I was also debating if I should wait it out and get the new redesign for the WRX but in the end I know it'll have a higher price tag on it, and it'll take a few years to work out the bugs/kinks. Getting the 2013 just makes more sense right now.
    If I were in your position, which I sort of was a year ago, deciding to go with the current model or wait for the redesign...I too would/did go with the current model. My reasons: Despite what people say on the internets, no one is really sure what changes are going to be made. I also have an inherent, and admittedly possibly unreasonable, distrust of the first year of a model redesign. Finally, if the new model comes out and is everything I've ever hoped for and more...I can just trade in my mostly new car without adding a huge amount of time to my loan.
    - Will

Hey guys, thought I would update everyone. I was able to pick up a 13 WRX Hatch in SWP. I'm still breaking it in but man do I love the car already.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130126_173829.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	111433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130126_173838.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	111434

Re: Debating if I should get an WRX

Nice!!! Get rid of those awful stock swaybars and replace the endlinks for motion control and steering feedback

Very nice...making me wish my SWP hatch would hurry up and get built already!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast