Does the winter weather increase exhaust drone? Increase power?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does the winter weather increase exhaust drone? Increase power? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have the Invidia turbo back exhaust in an '08 hatch back. Loved the sound of the exhaust during the ...

Registered User CharlieBronson08's Avatar

I have the Invidia turbo back exhaust in an '08 hatch back. Loved the sound of the exhaust during the summer with windows down. Never noticed exhaust drone too much, or it just didn't bother me. When the weather got cooler in October, I enjoyed what seemed like additional power gains as my spirited pulls seemed a little bit more spirited. All was lovely. (cold air does increase power right?)

But, then I went on a road trip to Pittsburgh in November and hit temps of 40 degrees and even lower. The sound of the exhaust was no longer lovely as my ear drums were about to burst heading up into the mountains in PA. I chopped it up to high altitude and long distance driving at first. However, since December, I've had a ton of exhaust drone; its like a completely different exhaust sound--pitch and tone. I actually roll the windows down in the cold just to eliminate the subwoofer like boom in the cabin.

There must be something with cold-air, humidity, air density or something to explain this. Either that or I'm just trippin and getting progressively more annoyed with my exhaust, and I'm too old to be all race car-ish. Doesn't sound travel more efficiently in the cold? Maybe the air refracts when it hits the warm cabin from the cold outside, changing the note of the exhaust and causing it to have a flatter tone, more drone, and more cabin vibration.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    cold air = more power.. especially on a turbo charged car

cold air = windows up = drone

hang in there, only 2 more months til spring.

I haven't noticed more drone with the cold temps but noticed more drone if I have 2-3 people in the car.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    I haven't noticed more drone with the cold temps but noticed more drone if I have 2-3 people in the car.
    Especially if one of them is the mother in law

I Support ClubWRX
    For the power increase, does the winter blend of fuel make any difference?
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    For the power increase, does the winter blend of fuel make any difference?
    Winter blends to have higher ratios of oxygen rich compounds, which in theory should increase the octane rating over summer blend. Some peole argue that this brings the stoiciometric values down slightly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Edit - double post (sorry don't know why it keeps doing this)
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 01-22-2013 at 06:21 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    If memory serves, the resonant frequency of a vibrating body (or connected bodies) does change a bit with temperature. I've noticed this in many cars, regardless of windows being up or down, or the presence of my mother-in-law.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Winter blends do have higher ratios of oxygen rich compounds, which in theory should increase the octane rating over summer blend. Some peole argue that this brings the stoiciometric values down slightly.
    That's what I thought. Thanks.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Winter gives more power because the air is denser. Denser air means more oxygen in the combustion chamber and more powaaa!

I don't think Pittsburgh's elevation is that much higher that it would make a difference, but maybe.

In the cold I always noticed my car was louder at idle, especially during warm up, but not really noticeable once driving though.

You mentioned no drone during the summer with the windows down, I had the same thing with my Invidia catback on a hatch (2011). The windows up definitely changes the way it sounds and during the fall it did make it too loud to me. Long distance driving will also make it more annoying and I think there's a good point in there about how once you've had the exhaust a while the "coolness/racecar" effect wears off and it just becomes unpleasant. I have the stock exhaust on now and I don't think it is as bad as people think...

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Especially if one of them is the mother in law
    hahahaha this is pure win!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    If memory serves, the resonant frequency of a vibrating body (or connected bodies) does change a bit with temperature. I've noticed this in many cars, regardless of windows being up or down, or the presence of my mother-in-law.
    If the air is denser when cold wouldn't it be more difficult for sound waves to travel through, which would make it quieter? I'm sure the humidity plays a hand in this as well. I took an acoustics class, but I wasn't the best student and I don't think I have that book anymore

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    If the air is denser when cold wouldn't it be more difficult for sound waves to travel through, which would make it quieter? I'm sure the humidity plays a hand in this as well. I took an acoustics class, but I wasn't the best student and I don't think I have that book anymore
    I think it would be the opposite. Sound travels faster in denser fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I think it would be the opposite. Sound travels faster in denser fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast