Vexed about car purchase
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Vexed about car purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Good evening enthusiasts! I currently own a 2011 WRX limited sedan and I love the car. There are two dealerships ...

Vexed about car purchase

Good evening enthusiasts! I currently own a 2011 WRX limited sedan and I love the car. There are two dealerships here that have STIs and I am trying to decide if I should scoop one up. One STI is a base black hatch with 6K miles for $36K. The other is a silver limited sedan for $37K! The dealer with the black car is offering me $24k for my car while the other dealer is offering $22.5-23k. Is it worth the upgrade? Any advice from someone who has had both? Thanks!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    whats the mileage on the silver sti? both of the sti's seem to be pretty pricey. ive seem brand new ones go for 35k with 0 miles. if you plan on tracking the car an sti might not be a bad buy but if its just a DD i would stick with the wrx
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Vexed about car purchase

The silver sti is under Edmunds.com True market value. I have no idea what the 2012 sti should be. The silver car is brand new off the truck and it is a 2013. I have always wanted a STI, but I couldn't afford it back in 2011. My car is pretty loaded as well now. I have it listed for $28500 on Craigslist and the local website.

Vexed about car purchase

I want to benefit from the tax diff instead of getting charged twice.

Well, what about the STI draws you in?

Financially, you'll probably take a hit, which isn't smart, especially since the WRX and STI are relatively close to each other in some performance aspects. However for that extra $10k, you're getting better handling, a much better transmission, much better brakes, and a bit more power...as well as other things. If you feel that's enough to drop an extra large chunk of change. Otherwise, I'd not do it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Vexed about car purchase

Luckily, my car is not upside down. The thing that draws me in is the test drive on the STI when I purchased my car. It felt so sweet. I am a little hesitant to start messing with components of the WRX to gain power when it is still under warranty. I have always wanted a STI, but I don't need one. Yes,yes, I have a problem

Nothing wrong with that...it's why I'm in my second STI...for granted I have an 05 which I got after owning an 07 (which I never should have gotten rid of)...I just had to go back. I could have found a cheaper WRX or so...but I wanted an STI.

If you can financially do it...and its what you want, then ok, go for it. Just know your insurance will most likely go up...and you'll have some higher payments.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

36k is the price of a brand new sti hatch.....just saying

Vexed about car purchase

I've had both. My 11 wrx was stg 2 on e85 and I like driving my 13 sti hatch just as much. Wrx was faster though. You can order a base sti hatch for $36k. Just saying. But if I were you I'd do it up. Negotiate better though and I wouldn't do the limited personally. I hated the leather seats.

Vexed about car purchase

And stock for stock, my wrx did feel faster than my sti off the showroom.

Vexed about car purchase

Currently, I have him down to $34K with Subaru certified pre-owned worked into the deal. That ups the power train warranty to 7 yr/ 100K miles. He said for a few hundred more I could make it bumper to bumper for 100K. I really think I can live without the leather seats and moon roof in my limited WRX.

Vexed about car purchase

The crazy thing is my insurance will go down by $6 with the STI. Crazy world we live in...

Vexed about car purchase

Do it up! You won't regret it and 6k miles isn't crap. It's a new car

If the insurance is less and you don't mind paying more for disposables and gas...you should do it if you can afford it comfortably. I was on the edge of getting one, but there weren't even many WRXs around at the time (Tsunami shortage) so STIs were even harder to find. I went with the WRX because I want to modify the car and tinker with it and I wasn't going to be able to afford the STI + Mods. If you leave the STI stock it is still a great car though.

People often comment on the "feel" of the STI when they test drive it. I'm not saying a modded WRX is as good as one, but I can't help but wonder how a WRX with a downpipe+tune, good shocks/springs, swaybars, tires, brake fluid/pads, and short shifter will "feel" compared to a stock STI. If you're in it for the performance and racing that's one thing, but if you just want "feels better" I think this could be compensated for on the WRX.

As far as the price goes it'd be nice to see them come down a bit on the used one, but then again it's only got 6k miles. For 1k extra to go from base to limited and no miles, I'd say it's worth it. The base models are lighter, but I'm not sure about the hatch vs sedan weight difference, if you don't want to race it won't really matter to you I guess. 24k trade in for your car is pretty good, but that still makes it a 12k jump to get into the STI right? How many miles do you have if you don't mind me asking?

Vexed about car purchase

My mileage is just under 14K now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast