New to club WRX and a New WRX owner. 2011 wrx!

This is a discussion on New to club WRX and a New WRX owner. 2011 wrx! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey my names cody and im a new member to the forums and a new wrx owner. i know how ...

New to club WRX and a New WRX owner. 2011 wrx!

hey my names cody and im a new member to the forums and a new wrx owner. i know how to drive the **** outa the car, but don't know about all the technical stuff about it. i want to mod it, but not all crazy. exhaust, cai, BOV. simple stuff like that but don't want to spend an arm and a leg doing it, but i still want the quality and performance. im up for any suggestions and recommendations. im not rich so i can blow a bunch of money on the high dollar **** and am not opposed to used parts if in good condition. any kind of input would be appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2082.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	111201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	111202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7713.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	111203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8533.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	111204

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: New to club WRX and a New WRX owner. 2011 wrx!

Welcome.

Now, start reading about modding these cars. A bov can mess these cars up bad. Also, just about every mod you do, will need a tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, there is a lot of info to help with modding the car. i would watch out with a BOV, its unneeded and can cause problems
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Welcome! Though more knowledgeable and experienced members could chime in with regards to the specific reasoning, I would also suggest staying away from BOVs.

Hey welcome! I'm new hear too. Good color you chose right there (yes, I am getting the same lol).

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum. A set of winter tires if you don't have them already would be good first investment.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome! Ask questions if you're unsure of something because a lot of people here are very knowledgeable and don't forget to use the search option. There's lots of great info in here already.
    Bryan | Stink-Eye Mob #265

07 Impreza Outback Sport, 5spd
    Sad I don't have this anymore:
    2012 WRX Premium, Plasma Blue Pearl hatch, Stage 1+
    check out my build thread

Thanks for the input. I'm not exactly sure what a blow off valve does, like a lot of people, I just like the sound it makes. But if they are not good for the car I'll just stay away from them. But how do they mess them up? What's the purpose of them if they are not good? And I live in Texas, so snow tires are not needed because we don't get snow very often. I'm not looking to do a bunch of gnarly mods to my ride, just some basics like cold air and exhaust. I wanna keep it simple but try to pull at least 300 horses out of it which isn't to much to ask for from a stock 265hp. I've heard that a stage 1 is a good and pretty safe upgrade but I know that will cost some cash money. I still want to keep it so it's pretty much maintenance free assure from oil changes. Any more advice or tips is appreciated!

I Support ClubWRX
    From the factory our cars have a BPV (by pass valve) its redirects the extra air back into the system which the computer sees. with a blow off valve it vents to atmosphere which then the computer doesnt see the air it thinks it should and causes the car to run rich between shifts. If you want extra sound then i would suggest a cobb sf intake, you can hear the turbo and the by pass valve much better
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Noted. I've heard a lot of good things about Cobb. I will most likely go with them for a lot of mods. I've seen that have the sf intake, but also the sf intake with air box. Is an air box needed? My buddy said it just helps to keep the filter clean and if I don't have it I'll just need to clean the filter more often. I don't mine cleaning it more often if the extra 140$ isn't needed. And also I saw the Cobb bpv, is that a blow off valve? Or just a better version of the stock bpv I already have? Sorry for all the questions but I want to learn as much as possible before I start putting money into this. Also, recommend a tune after intake install?

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the air box and i like it, it helps keep water out if you hit a big puddle and helps keep it cleaner. i think its a good buy. the cobb BPV is supposed to be a stronger version a stock one. personally i would just hold off on any of those for now, the stock one can hold a lot. im tuned to 20 psi and my tuner says the stock one should be fine for me at this point
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

welcome! nice wrb. any idea what % your tint is? That's exactly what im looking to do...not too dark