Help with up pipe installation.

This is a discussion on Help with up pipe installation. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i am looking at replacing my up pipe in my 2004 wrx. Will i need a lift to get ...

Question Help with up pipe installation.

So i am looking at replacing my up pipe in my 2004 wrx. Will i need a lift to get to all the bolts on the low end? Will i be ok to put in a 3 inch up pipe? dose subaru's like certain brands? Any answers will help! Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need a lift, ramps or jack stands will do fine.

You will NOT be okay with a three inch uppipe, that is just massive and would absolutely kill your spool. I don't even know where you would get a 3" uppipe unless you had it custom made, which would be a horrible idea. No one makes uppipes even close to that size for a good reason.

ok i was just lookin around on ebay and i didnt see any sizing so i just thought thats what size it was. and im still running all stock so if i change my uppipe it wont change anything will it?

It will improve how your car spools, and should increase power over all. Uppipe is not something that will need to be tuned for though.. if that's what you're asking.

Grimmspeed makes a good uppipe for what it's worth. I would not be looking for any car parts on eBay (unless it's directly from a well known reputable company's eBay store).

Ok what is the website name i could find some good parts on? and thank you for your help!

I Support ClubWRX

Help with up pipe installation.

Contact site sponsors.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by n3wWRXown3r View Post
    Ok what is the website name i could find some good parts on? and thank you for your help!

It really depends on the specific part you're looking for. Usually after determining the exact part I'm looking for I will do a google shopping search along with looking at half a dozen sites I use on a regular basis to determine the lowest price it's being listed for. Then I will take that price and contact different vendors from this site and others to see if they can beat the lowest price I have found. I typically end up paying around 10% less than the lowest listed price, along with free shipping by going with smaller vendors. Sometimes I can only get a price match, but it's still better going with the guys that help out the community (site sponsors) than giving my money to a large chain.

Well thank you guys with all the new info!!! This is my first time playing with a Subaru so its all new to me. But thank you so very much!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130119_104548_652.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	111187i just did mine today with the help of the 'club forums and a lift. if you have access to a lift your golden. every thing to change the up pipe in multiple ways is here( i used the 'remove downpipe and lift engine' one myself) made the job a lot easier standing under the car. grab a can of pb plaster....if you can soak the snot out of it the night before(without driving) the bolts come out lots easier...and there's a bunch. i chose Grimmspeed's up pipe and gaskets myself and glad i did.

dont cut any wires untill your SURE you know what your cutting. i almost ruined a 300$ O2 sensor.
    mechanic's gloves. the sheet metal shields are made with recyled razor blades i think.
    read, search, read more, search again. when in doubt, ask. then double check lol.

edit....+1 to mainframe, hes awesome and right. got my parts from Oakos Automotive and my gaskets directly from grimmspeed.
    Last edited by tirerob; 01-19-2013 at 11:12 PM.

^^^^ why would you ever need to cut wires on an uppipe installation? That statement just blew my mind.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

I'm assuming he meant the dreaded EGT sensor on the uppipe that doesn't allow the heatshield to come off while attached?

If I remember correctly (it's been a while), I simply unplugged the EGT sensor harness.. then stuck a resistor in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130119_123812_283.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	111200Actually it was the lower o2 sensor when trying to remove the manifold heat shield. I had a bad angle of view and didn't see the sensor went through the side...tug tug..what's still holding me in?..tug snap. Ooh. Oh *potty mouth*. Luckily I only cut two wires but I sniped all of them , soldered them together heatshrinked and covered with some leftover heat shield tape. Saved my sensor...but I missed getting a resistor in last night. Sokay....car pulls like crazy now.
    Last edited by tirerob; 01-20-2013 at 09:41 AM.