new member and potential future wrx owner

This is a discussion on new member and potential future wrx owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi i am sal, and obviously new to the forum. to this point i don't own a wrx/sti, but i ...

hi i am sal, and obviously new to the forum.

to this point i don't own a wrx/sti, but i was looking into one as my potential new car. some background on me as far as my noobiness (new word) i have been members of countless forums (my biggest example is cherokee forum) so i know what the search button is. next i am 19 and i have only driven trucks/suv's up till this point, and i am looking for a car due to driving 70+ miles a day for school. i need something a little better then my lifted xj with swampers on fuel (12-15 mpg). i have never owned a car(much less an import), and i want something awd, standard, reliable, and relativley quick so i figured a wrx would be the way to go. i know it is a big jump from a jeep to a wrx, but i am ready to give something else a try.

way off topic heres a little show of my work to this point
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-10_12-48-27_268.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	111150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-09_17-55-08_190.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	111151

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Welcome! There is a member on here who owns Jeeps "Ruh Roh" is his username. I believe he even created a Jeep thread so search for that.

Are you going new or used for your WRX? Either way good luck with your search and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

thanks for the welcome, and i was looking for an 04 to 05 about all i can afford on a college kids budget the part i am scared about is the price of parts from what i am used to.

im reading everything i can on this site i have been reading for days on here, and just decided to join to ask some questions

I Support ClubWRX

04-05 or "Blobeyes" are awesome! Parts really aren't that expensive for our cars. The aftermarket scene is pretty well established so you can usually score pretty good deals.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

that is good to hear, i know parts probably wont be around jeep price full 3 inch lift upgraded shocks and full leaf packs cost me 600 shipped. but i keep reading the reliability is right up there with jeep i6's just better on gas.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    My first vehicle was a Chevy Blazer ZR2 with full lift kit and 35" MT tires...Had fun with it, but around 80K miles it started to crap the bed. Switched over the an impreza 2.5i as I couldn't afford a WRX yet (mostly because of the insurance for a young single guy), and then saved up and bought my current STi a few years after I got a "real" job. I will probably buy subarus for the rest of my life!

Good luck with you decision!

I Support ClubWRX
    Edit - double post...

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, good luck on the search. sweet jeep btw
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    Welcome, good luck on the search. sweet jeep btw
    thanks i have worked on it since i bought the list of stuff i did is crazy and sadly i have someone looking at buying it tom i will be driving my stock 97 cherokee rwd untill i can get a car.

and i couldnt find any threads on it, are there any known problems for the 04 or 05 wrx's?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsal39 View Post
    thanks i have worked on it since i bought the list of stuff i did is crazy and sadly i have someone looking at buying it tom i will be driving my stock 97 cherokee rwd untill i can get a car.

and i couldnt find any threads on it, are there any known problems for the 04 or 05 wrx's?
    i have a 2011 so im not very good with the older ones the only thing i know is the trannys in the older ones can be fragile and that people change out the up pipes on the cars to eliminate the cat that is in them
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by bigsal39 View Post
    Not really any major problems with them as far as recalls or blown engines no. All 02-05 cars came with catted up-pipes and sometimes the cat material would get sucked into the turbo and ruin it. This is easily fixed by replacing the up-pipe.

One thing to consider when you're looking is, you want to find a car that is as close to stock as possible. Even better if it is a car that has never been modded. A lot if people do really dumb things to their cars (blow off valves, turbo timers, not tuning for the mods) and then try to sell them.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR