getting new wrx soon have questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on getting new wrx soon have questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i have been doing a lot of research because after i get out of the breaking period i plan ...

getting new wrx soon have questions

so i have been doing a lot of research because after i get out of the breaking period i plan on going to stage 2. the car will be either a 12 or 13 wrx basic as they come maybe just a few little things but nothing big. so my main question is how reliable will the car be with a ap map of stage 2+. i read in the past that a stock clutch is best for the 5mt because they have the most slip and put the least amount of shock on the drivetrain. is there any truth to this and how much power could the stock clutch take. are the 5mts in the new wrxs as bad as the rest like everyone says and what should be done to handle a nice amount of power and my goal is to run low 12s or less what would i be looking at to achieve this thanks for all answer in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Stage tune (Cobb, Pro, Ap) testimonies

Also, have you bought the car yet? If not and your main goal is drag racing you are not looking at the ideal candidate.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 01-17-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Well with the stage 2 you are going to be pushing alot more power so as on any car more power on stock parts means less reliability! My opinion is its not that the stock tranny is horribly unreliable the main culprit is how people launch these cars! To get the Fastest time alot of drag racers drop the clutch and go! What kills is these cars are AWD and have a ton of grip so all that power goes straight to the drive train and puts tons of stress on it! I a RWD car when there is too much power the rear tires spin which relieves the stress. But drag racing in general is hard on all vehicles no matter what they are. Best option with adding more power is to ease off the clutch and go and not dump it! I think if you do that you will be fine! As for parts to make it stronger maybe someone can help you better im coming off of owning American muscle cars and this is my first Turbo Import. These cars are alot different to build then im use too!

Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Well with the stage 2 you are going to be pushing alot more power so as on any car more power on stock parts means less reliability! My opinion is its not that the stock tranny is horribly unreliable the main culprit is how people launch these cars! To get the Fastest time alot of drag racers drop the clutch and go! What kills is these cars are AWD and have a ton of grip so all that power goes straight to the drive train and puts tons of stress on it! I a RWD car when there is too much power the rear tires spin which relieves the stress. But drag racing in general is hard on all vehicles no matter what they are. Best option with adding more power is to ease off the clutch and go and not dump it! I think if you do that you will be fine! As for parts to make it stronger maybe someone can help you better im coming off of owning American muscle cars and this is my first Turbo Import. These cars are alot different to build then im use too!
    don't worry I'm the same way i just got rid of my 95 z28 car was so fun put down 427.8 rwhp and 440.6 tq car was my love but kept breaking things and i drove these before i know how to slip the clutch out just not trying to have a car i paid 30k for and 5k into it drive it a few thousand miles and boom and its just a massive paper weight

Quote Originally Posted by rickyd13 View Post
    don't worry I'm the same way i just got rid of my 95 z28 car was so fun put down 427.8 rwhp and 440.6 tq car was my love but kept breaking things and i drove these before i know how to slip the clutch out just not trying to have a car i paid 30k for and 5k into it drive it a few thousand miles and boom and its just a massive paper weight
    Ya i hear ya! I got my new WRX last week and love it! But ive come over from a long line of Muscle cars to many to list..LOL I mainly got the WRX because all the RWD torque mosters that i owned where not practical at all for the winter! So im in the same boat as you as far as figuring out what is and isnt really safe for these cars as far as performance! But from everything i read and know from people i know that owned these before me is its Launching the car to hard that kills them and not so much the extra Power! + alot of young guys get these cars and beat the crap out of them and do MOD's to them without doing any research like installing CAI's with no tunes and stuff and that kills the reliability of them as well.. These cars are way different then Mustangs or challengers with those car you can install a CAI and the stock computer adjust to the change in the AF ratio. With the WRX's it has to be adjusted manually..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Ya i hear ya! I got my new WRX last week and love it! But ive come over from a long line of Muscle cars to many to list..LOL I mainly got the WRX because all the RWD torque mosters that i owned where not practical at all for the winter! So im in the same boat as you as far as figuring out what is and isnt really safe for these cars as far as performance! But from everything i read and know from people i know that owned these before me is its Launching the car to hard that kills them and not so much the extra Power! + alot of young guys get these cars and beat the crap out of them and do MOD's to them without doing any research like installing CAI's with no tunes and stuff and that kills the reliability of them as well.. These cars are way different then Mustangs or challengers with those car you can install a CAI and the stock computer adjust to the change in the AF ratio. With the WRX's it has to be adjusted manually..
    The ECU in our engines will adjust for any change in AFR from a CAI. You won't get any power out of it alone, but you won't really run into any issue without a tune. It is really once you start doing modifications in addition to the CAI that you would need to adjust anything for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    The ECU in our engines will adjust for any change in AFR from a CAI. You won't get any power out of it alone, but you won't really run into any issue without a tune. It is really once you start doing modifications in addition to the CAI that you would need to adjust anything for it.
    UMM?? Are you sure? Everything ive researched says different.. Even pro Tuners stated these cars need a Tune with a CAI MOD.. If not they run super lean..

I Support ClubWRX
    My understanding is that it gives your engine the "ability" to take in more air, but it won't actually take in more air unless you do other modifications (i.e. turbo back exhaust). Given the location it is probably not taking in air that is significantly cooler than the stock intake does (same place). The big risk is taking water or other materials into your engine if it has a inferior filter (if you position it lower down in the wheel well).

My cold air intake... Is it worth $270? No. Does it do its job better than the subaru intake? Highly unlikely (). Does the red tube look badass? Heck yes. Does is sound cooler? Oh heck yes.

"My cold air intake... Is it worth $270? No. Does it do its job better than the subaru intake? Highly unlikely (). Does the red tube look badass? Heck yes. Does is sound cooler? Oh heck yes."

PERFECT...I've been thinking exactly the same thing about mine since installed a couple weeks ago..

FALSE!

There is so little room in the factory ecu tuning (that is ALREADY lean) that even a drop in filter can screw with it. If you're going to alter the intake or down pipe you need to tune for it. Run without it you like.. its your wallet and your car.

To the OP; If going with an AP the base maps cobb provides are very safe but very much on the conservative side when it comes to power output.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    FALSE!

There is so little room in the factory ecu tuning (that is ALREADY lean) that even a drop in filter can screw with it. If you're going to alter the intake or down pipe you need to tune for it. Run without it you like.. its your wallet and your car.

To the OP; If going with an AP the base maps cobb provides are very safe but very much on the conservative side when it comes to power output.
    Exactly!!! You need a Tune to adjust the AF ratio! Cant just throw on a CAI on these cars! These are NOT Mustangs where talking about! As Stated these cars run lean from the factory! I was debating on buying a Performance drop in filter and even found in all my days of research that they will even make the car run too lean! So i will stick with Stock for now until at least my warranty runs out and i save up enough money to buy all the right parts to do it the right way.. These cars are awsome enough stock to hold me over till then and besides there are plenty of non performance MOD's i can do till then like window tint, Axleback exhaust for sound,Front lip, carbon fiber hood, wheels, Stereo upgrade and many more! Also instead of performance MODS look into things that will make the car lighter! That will also make it faster and not have to worry about reliability!

To the op; drive the car first, you may like the stock speed as some people do. When/if you go stage 2 using the Cobb AP or even stage 1 for the matter, be sure to strictly follow the map notes. Meaning, Cobb has tunes for only the Cobb SF intake, AEM cai, and stock airbox I believe. Use only one of the 3.

Reliability shouldn't be much of an issue, as long as you don't go pushing the car EXTEREMELY hard; running with low fluids, things like that. You will generally be ok. However, with added parts that weren't made from the factory, you're taking the car out of its "reliability", but for the stage 2's power, I think the it's worth it.
    A car is only as good as its driver

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi
    The problem is the ECU uses the MAFv to determine how much air is entering the motor. With different sized housings, airflow patterns, and MAF placement found in the CAI, it will alter the scaling in the ECU. So while the ECU is going by the MAF scaling value of a particular MAFv, it's assuming XX g/s of air is going into the motor and dumps the appropriate amount of fuel to match, when in turn it's YY g/s of air, screwing with the AFR. While during closed-loop fueling, there is feedback from the front O2 sensor, in which a correction will be made and a learned correction will be applied, this is still not ideal (assuming the scaling isn't too far off; each intake is different in how bad it alters scaling). However, during open-loop fueling, when there is no feedback given, and the engine is under higher load, and the motor is tuned to run quite a bit richer, an intake can cause the car to be too lean, knock, and eventually grenade the motor.

Unless you know how / have means to alter the MAF scaling, I would not run an intake on the car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The problem is the ECU uses the MAFv to determine how much air is entering the motor. With different sized housings, airflow patterns, and MAF placement found in the CAI, it will alter the scaling in the ECU. So while the ECU is going by the MAF scaling value of a particular MAFv, it's assuming XX g/s of air is going into the motor and dumps the appropriate amount of fuel to match, when in turn it's YY g/s of air, screwing with the AFR. While during closed-loop fueling, there is feedback from the front O2 sensor, in which a correction will be made and a learned correction will be applied, this is still not ideal (assuming the scaling isn't too far off; each intake is different in how bad it alters scaling). However, during open-loop fueling, when there is no feedback given, and the engine is under higher load, and the motor is tuned to run quite a bit richer, an intake can cause the car to be too lean, knock, and eventually grenade the motor.

Unless you know how / have means to alter the MAF scaling, I would not run an intake on the car.
    Yep. Didn't mean to open up this can or worms...The one I have is designed to have the MAF in the same spot and same size plumbing so they say it will run fine. My take on that is that it is designed to work as the stock one is. One might ask me why it is on there if it doesn't improve performance...Well I will respond by saying that my carbon fiber trunk trim cover doesn't improve my performance either, but it still makes me happy when I see it. That being said, IF my intake was causing me problems, wouldn't I have some kind of sign before the engine when caplunk?

Yep. Didn't mean to open up this can or worms...The one I have is designed to have the MAF in the same spot and same size plumbing so they say it will run fine. My take on that is that it is designed to work as the stock one is. One might ask me why it is on there if it doesn't improve performance...Well I will respond by saying that my carbon fiber trunk trim cover doesn't improve my performance either, but it still makes me happy when I see it. That being said, IF my intake was causing me problems, wouldn't I have some kind of sign before the engine when caplunk?
    Listen i know what you are saying and believe me a CAI would make me happy also especially to hear the turbo better i think that would be cool... But unless you have a way to read the AF mixture on your car with it installed i would be very careful..You didnt open any can of worms people are just trying to help. you either listen to the advise or you dont its your car and your choice just like my direction is my choice. Problem with engines running lean is most of the time there is no sign until it is to late! Like i said only way of knowing is to take it to a pro tuner or get a hold of something that can read the AIR to FUEL ratio on your car. What CAI do you have??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast