2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 2nd Gear Issue

This is a discussion on 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 2nd Gear Issue within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am new to the site so bare with me if this has been asked before... I own a small ...

I am new to the site so bare with me if this has been asked before...

I own a small car dealership in Miami, FL and I usually try and buy any Impreza I find at auction to find it a good home and to be honest drive it around a bit and then make a little coin. I am not trying to promote my dealership in anyway on this post so if you do want info just send me a message.

I just purchased this 2002 WRX that the 2nd Gear feels like it's just not there. No grinding no noise at all....when you think its in and let go of the clutch it just revs. All other gears work perfect. My initial thought was 2nd gear is just blown, but someone this weekend told me that it just might be the shift linkage. What do you guys think?

I am currently just trying to sell it as is since it has a bit of money invested in the engine, suspension and exhaust, but just wanted to get some of your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    i would think it may be the clutch, thats what i would check first. maybe others will have some to say
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX

If it were the linkage I'd suspect similarly oriented gears to be similarly affected. If 1 and 5 engage OK but 2 won't, I'd check the visible part of the shifter itself first then talk to a gearbox shop.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.