Hey from NC

This is a discussion on Hey from NC within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey WRX fanatics, New from NC but not a WRX owner YET! I recently added an 06 Subaru Baja Sport ...

Hey from NC

Hey WRX fanatics,
    New from NC but not a WRX owner YET! I recently added an 06 Subaru Baja Sport to my stable and I'm hooked! I looked hard for a super clean, low mileage Turbo model (OCD) but couldn't turn down this 1 female owner Sport in the condition it's in. Problem is now I want more go. The turbo has more hp and I love the utility of the "cruck" but I started looking at the Impreza wagons, really dig them. Found an 08 WRX STI, 64,700 miles, and from the little I now about the car it appears unmolested except a Magnaflow catback, test drove it, STOKED!!! It's not in the condition I would like and the research I've done it is over priced. (1 owner SC car Carfax says) No records of timing belt replace and needs tires now!...so considering a newer WRX premium to stay in my budget. Joined to pick y'all's brains and learn all I can. Thoughts and comments...preciate ya...Tony in NC

2010 Nissan Frontier CC SE 4X4
    2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
    2006 Subaru Baja Sport
    2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4
    1997 Toyota Celica ST LTD
    1995 Nissan KC Hardbody SE V6 4X4
    1990 Pontiac ASC Turbo Grand Prix
    1978 Datsun 280Z 5spd

I know, I GOT to sell some vehicles...
    Last edited by TLOC; 01-12-2013 at 06:53 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Where in NC are you at?

You're going to pay $$$ for an STI. I'd be surprised if you found an 08+ for less than 28,000.
    The Turboturtle Build Log
    Spec Ops Motorsports
    ETS GTX3576r -- GSC S2 -- 9:1 Compression Motor

So $28000 for an 08 STI is avg going price??? 1 owner, needing timing and tires? If that is accurate, they have no problem with me having the mechanic of my choice do a complete inspection. Besides a compression test anything problematic on this yr/model I should have them check? Thanks as always...T

Re: Hey from NC

Suspension is the softest sprung in '08, ergo worst handling characteristics.
    At that price I'd go with a new WRX, do you really need brembo brakes and a user controllable center diff? Yea, its hard to say no =/

Posted from a fone.

Thanks for the reply, the car is considerably less than $28000 but concerned of problems like you just mentioned. And NO I don't need the brakes, the user controllable center diff, or the car for that matter but hey, it's cool! For a daily driver I believe it's just too much. That's why I said in my first post that I was really considering a new or newer WRX...

Timing belt $$$

BTW, what's the typical/avg dealer cost of the timing belt service? The only guy I let work on my vehicles if I can't or don't want to, doesn't want to touch this thing...Thanks again...T

I Support ClubWRX
    Timing belt isn't on the service interval until 105K miles.

$28K is high for an 08 STI, especially considering they offered 0% / 60 months financing in order to move them off the lots. For a few Gs more, you can have a new base STI.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks...my bad, I thought I read somewhere that the service was 60k...thanks for the info...T