New to Scooby gang...please help lol

This is a discussion on New to Scooby gang...please help lol within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2003 wrx with 165000 and apparently it's running rich and I need a tune.... not sure if this is a ...

New to Scooby gang...please help lol

2003 wrx with 165000 and apparently it's running rich and I need a tune.... not sure if this is a basic tune . sparkplugs, filters, etc. so if someone could tell me what should be done at this mileage it would be very helpful. car runs good gas mileage is 22 :/ please list maintenance I should do. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is a tuneup a tune, in the car modification world, is a complete remapping of your cars ECU. There are several ways to go about doing this, the most popular being the AccessPort from CobbTuning.

Why do you say "apparently it's running rich"? What modifications are done to the vehicle?

If no modifications are present, you won't need a tune, and probably just need a good tuneup and maintenance check up. Sparkplugs, fuel filter, air filter, all fluids (oil, transmission and rear diff fluid, a radiator flush, etc...) are all things I would be doing right away. Do you have any maintenance records for that car? There may be a lot of other things that should be checked as well if you don't.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

replaced timing belt at around 105k? 22mpg? thats about what i get with mixed highway and city driving...doesnt seem bad to me.

some people say it's running rich they say they can smell gas but there is no gas leak as there is no spots under my car ever... as for modifications it has a intake, turbo back exhaust, bov, intercooler, and large radiator. I think that's all. the access port sounds nice but so expensive!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the link in my signature for info on the modifications and maintenance.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 03wrxBGOD View Post
    some people say it's running rich they say they can smell gas but there is no gas leak as there is no spots under my car ever... as for modifications it has a intake, turbo back exhaust, bov, intercooler, and large radiator. I think that's all. the access port sounds nice but so expensive!!
    with those mods you need a tune. follow SD_GR's links for info.

As others already said, if you have all that done it definitely needs to be tuned as such, probably already has been, as a car that modified without a tune wouldn't run very reliably for too long. If you know it's running rich, it could be a boost leak. I would check all your connections and reseat the intercooler. The only way to really tell is to run some diagnostics. An Accessport makes this real easy. If you can find a used one for sale, get it.

Sounds to me like a catless downpipe if you can smell it. Doesn't mean you're running rich though.

I'd ditch the BOV ASAP for a stock BPV as that isn't helping at all.

But you would benefit from a tune so you can adequately enjoy your mods to their fullest. You luck out with having a bugeye. They can actually run mods untuned, but won't benefit from having them on their.

Post up some pics of your mods so we can see exactly what you're working with.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

It's possible that you might just have an exhaust leak if the car seems to be running fine.

Thanks for all the answers I uploaded some pics to my profile of all visible upgrades. so much help everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sounds to me like a catless downpipe if you can smell it. Doesn't mean you're running rich though.

I'd ditch the BOV ASAP for a stock BPV as that isn't helping at all.

But you would benefit from a tune so you can adequately enjoy your mods to their fullest. You luck out with having a bugeye. They can actually run mods untuned, but won't benefit from having them on their.

Post up some pics of your mods so we can see exactly what you're working with.
    Yeah, definitely ditch the BOV and put a factory recirc/BPV back on.

Catless is going to smell different too. As a matter of fact, I'm running an Invidia catless DP and I had someone say it smelled like it was running rich one time. The smell doesn't bother me though. IMO, the only real downside of it is black exhaust tips, which I've found are easily cleaned with a polishing attachment on my drill, a microfiber bonnet and some metal polish.

Can you post a pick or two of your downpipe as well?

its probably a catless downpipe, which is why it smells like gas. its not gas in the sense of a leak. but what your smelling is all the noxious fumes that your non catted exhaust is no longer converting to the less smelly stuff lol