Finally got my FIRST WRX, help and advice would be appreciated!!!

This is a discussion on Finally got my FIRST WRX, help and advice would be appreciated!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well now that i have my WRX i would like to start upgrading the engine, but where to start?? The ...

Finally got my FIRST WRX, help and advice would be appreciated!!!

Well now that i have my WRX i would like to start upgrading the engine, but where to start??

The platform i am starting with is a bone stock 2007 WRX sedan, about 82k on the odometer

I am new to modding cars and would like some input, advice, warnings and such...

Thanks,
    Clay

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    With higher mileage you'll want to first of course start by making sure all of your maintenance is up to date

The best bang for your buck will be a turbo back exhaust and a tune. There is a thread on first modifications that's stickied at the top of the forum. I'd link it but I'm on my phone. Sorry!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Start off with a Cobb AccessPort, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, and a pro-tune from a good tuner. That'll put you at stage 2. After that it's fuel pump, injectors, headers and an up pipe to finish off a Stage 2+ car.

Trans. on the WRX doesn't like too much power, though I'm not sure where that begins to be an issue.

Keep an eye out for oil loss and check your oil level every time you get gas. It's normal to lose a little but you want to make sure you're not going through too much. You can get an oil catch can or air/oil separator to help keep it out of the combustion chamber.

My suggestion is get a full turbo back, get it tuned, and see how you like it. Search around the forums and take in as much information as you can and decide what you want to do from there. Learn from other peoples success...and failure...and talk with a shop that does a lot of work on Subarus about what you want to do with the car. Ultimately, a good shop with a good tuner will be able to give you the best information.

i got the oil and everything changed after i bought it, using royal purple synthetic as the guy who changed it suggested, he owns an early 2000 sti and has it pretty well modded

i was thinking of going the "tactrix" route as im pretty good with computers since the accessport is pretty pricey

not sure of any good shops in the pittsburgh area though, was looking online last night, but no luck as of yet

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestes85 View Post
    After that it's fuel pump, injectors, headers and an up pipe to finish off a Stage 2+ car.
    I've never really heard of anyone doing those sets of mods after stage 2. Most people always keep the OEM header with basic set ups. The uppipe is already Catless and an aftermarket unit wouldn't really be necessary unless you are going EWG or making huge power. Injectors and fuel pump also won't really do much for a stage 2 car. That would only be necessary if you're upgrading the turbo

But yes. Start with stage 2. You can use a tatrix cable if you're comfortable with it. The jump in power should hold you over for a few months :P

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

yeah, i feel like i would be good with a tactrix as they are cheaper than accessports and would not want to splurge on a protune, nor do i know any places that tune subies in my area.....

another thing i was wondering, i had already purchased an intake prematurely before researching enough and was wondering how harmful it could be or if it would be safe to put on or not?
    Last edited by 07WRXCLAY; 01-03-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    The best bang for your buck will be a turbo back exhaust and a tune. There is a thread on first modifications that's stickied at the top of the forum. I'd link it but I'm on my phone. Sorry!
    See my sig
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    I've never really heard of anyone doing those sets of mods after stage 2. Most people always keep the OEM header with basic set ups. The uppipe is already Catless and an aftermarket unit wouldn't really be necessary unless you are going EWG or making huge power. Injectors and fuel pump also won't really do much for a stage 2 car.
    Completely depends. Injectors and fuel pump will keep your IDC down. I personally won't allow my tuner to go over 85% IDC. You lean out under boost and you're looking at a blown motor. Headers, specifically EL Headers, give you a nice bump in power as well. A stage 2+ car with the proper upgrades can make 350-360 whp. it all depends on the tuner and how healthy the power train is though. An up pipe will help out with spool as well. If you go with an EWG up pipe you'll hold boost better through the power band.

Quote Originally Posted by 07WRXCLAY View Post
    yeah, i feel like i would be good with a tactrix as they are cheaper than accessports and would not want to splurge on a protune, nor do i know any places that tune subies in my area.....

another thing i was wondering, i had already purchased an intake prematurely before researching enough and was wondering how harmful it could be or if it would be safe to put on or not?
    I'd suggest tuning for anything that involves air or fuel on the vehicle. I've heard that some intakes have no negative effect on airflow but, personally, I wouldn't be willing to chance it. What kind of intake is it?
    The Turboturtle Build Log
    Spec Ops Motorsports
    ETS GTX3576r -- GSC S2 -- 9:1 Compression Motor

K&N Typhoon SRI, im waiting to hear back from the company if i can return it and maybe get a CBE instead

Quote Originally Posted by Orestes85 View Post
    Completely depends. Injectors and fuel pump will keep your IDC down. I personally won't allow my tuner to go over 85% IDC. You lean out under boost and you're looking at a blown motor. Headers, specifically EL Headers, give you a nice bump in power as well. A stage 2+ car with the proper upgrades can make 350-360 whp. it all depends on the tuner and how healthy the power train is though. An up pipe will help out with spool as well. If you go with an EWG up pipe you'll hold boost better through the power band.
    You won't hit that on the stock turbo.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I actually didn't take into consideration the OEM turbo on the WRX. I'm not sure what the OEM turbo is capable of for a 2007. That said, more fuel = more boost = more power. Long as the tuner knows what he's doing and the TMIC can handle it (which is something else that you might want to upgrade if you go for more power)
    The Turboturtle Build Log
    Spec Ops Motorsports
    ETS GTX3576r -- GSC S2 -- 9:1 Compression Motor