Going from Ford (rally car) to a Subaru WRX

This is a discussion on Going from Ford (rally car) to a Subaru WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So a little background about myself. Racing has always been in my family which is why I started out in ...

So a little background about myself. Racing has always been in my family which is why I started out in go karts to autocross to rallycross w/ scca to track events to European rallycross to stage rally and much more. I've spent my savings on building a Ford Fiesta rally car and have raced in a few Rally America events but now I want to buy a decent daily and eventually build it for stage rally. I currently own the Fiesta and a Focus SVT, however I'm selling my race car and looking to buy a WRX. I have been doing some research and visited a few dealers today to be able to drive and sit in one, however no dealers have them. Every dealer I visited today wanted me to order through them, however wont offer any good deals and don't even have a car to show. They only offered MSRP due to "the demand". I've been in contact with clayton from ramsey so it looks like that's the best way to go right now. I've read a lot of good reviews about him and the dealership so far. Now being a Ford person, I've also been interested in the Focus ST but looking at the bigger picture down the road if I decide to convert the car into a rally car, I'd rather go with the Subaru.

Btw, any rally fans on here? If you've gone to STPR or Rallycross events at NJMP, you've probably seen me before.

Also, any Philly, PA people on here?
    Last edited by jcr557; 01-02-2013 at 10:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

I'm a rally fan but have never attended those events. It's s shame you can't drive a car before buying. I think you will enjoy it though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Big rally fan here. I've been to STPR the last three years. Do you have any pics of your car at the event? I'm sure I'd recognize it.

There are plenty of people on here from the Philly area too. I'm sure they'll chime in eventually.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Welcome! Clayton has proven to be a good guy to work with, lots of people on the forum have gone through him.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Here's a few:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	547082_410562902320989_1534855549_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	110772

Name:	428381_410563178987628_1090282502_n.jpg 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	110773

Name:	560057_406512006059412_1307890778_n.jpg 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	110774

There's a lot more here.
    https://www.facebook.com/JohnConchaR

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Going from Ford (rally car) to a Subaru WRX

Welcome to the forum.

Based on your needs have you looked into the STI over the WRX?

You may also know Andy(Weasel). He is one of the Admins on this forum.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Cool (former) car! Never been a huge fan of ford, but only drove the grandma version of a focus. That being said, I think they've really turned their company around and I give great respect for that.

Hopefully we can welcome you soon. I didn't drive mine until the day it arrived, and made the dealer write in contract that I had an opt-out pending approval of a test-drive.

I loved it. Easiest choice ever.

But I come from 4x4 SUVs, and wanted something more economical while retaining all-wheel drive and getting more performance. So this car was the perfect switch for my needs...
    Last edited by drkhead; 01-03-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: screwed up name of car

Cool shots of the car there. I have to say, I'm impressed with the capability of the fiesta. Some of them were pretty darn fast out there.

Have you run any of the other Rally America events? I've heard that STPR is one of, if not the most challenging event on the schedule. I'm curious to hear your take on it.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

As far as Rally America, only STPR and the US Rallycross series at NJMP in Millville. This year we plan to go to STPR and NEFR in the Focus SVT. I don't have another stage rally to compare it to here in the US, however I can say day 1 is very technical and day 2 is a lot more fun. If you google my name "John Concha" you will find a few videos and articles.

I Support ClubWRX
    I see you are friends with Jordan aka twistephrame . He is a member here too.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.