Just started modding my 08 wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just started modding my 08 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just put on my invidia CBE. My downpipe should be here Tom. Think I just going to go with an ...

Just put on my invidia CBE. My downpipe should be here Tom. Think I just going to go with an open source tune till I get the money for an access port

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Why waste money on an accessport?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Just so you know I'm really new to all this, but from what I read on here people seemed like that was the way to go. Would you just suggest a tactrix

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Just started modding my 08 wrx

Welcome

If you already have a tune with OpenECU, buying an AP wouldn't do you much good.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I haven't got the tune yet I just know a guy that can do it for me cause he has a tactrix cable. He told me after I put my downpipe on Tom that I will need a tune to prevent over boosting

I Support ClubWRX
    The great Accessport vs. OpenSource debate...

Here are my thoughts on each, and your decision should be based on your experience, modification goals, and location.

Cobb AccessPort
    This is the vastly easier tool to use. Anybody can pick it up and go. Their "off the shelf" maps are generally fine as long as you strictly adhere to the map requirements (lots of new people miss that bit). Downsides are cost, and the fact that you are using a "one size fits all" map. This means is a fairly conservative tune, performance-wise, and your specific car may or may not respond well to the map. That said, Cobb's support is excellent. You are paying the price premium for Cobb's support, IP, and expertise. I would recommend the AP for absolute beginners with no previous tuning experience. Also, if you plan to get a pro dyno tune at a shop, ask them what ecosystem they use. Obviously, if you live next to Cobb Tuning, and plan on getting dyno tuned, you ought to get an Accessport. If you live in Alaska, for example, not so much...

OpenSource
    OpenSource, a catch-all term which usually includes the EcuFlash and RomRaider software, coupled with the Tactrix OpenPort cable, is far less expensive. Total out of pocket cost is around $180 for the hardware, the software is free. It is MUCH less user friendly for the n00b, as the community is a dedicated group of enthusiasts who do this in their spare time for free, not a business like Cobb. I imagine it would be very intimidating for a beginner (it was for me, and I'm a professional engineer). You have the very real potential to seriously damage the engine if you don't know what you're doing.

That said, for those up to the challenge, and willing to do plenty of research, datalogs, and lots of reading, OpenSource is an extremely powerful tuning method, and is backed by a very knowledgeable group on here who are more than willing to help (not do everything, but help).

Personally, I started with a Cobb AP as n00b, but have since sold that and gone opensource. It's been a challenging experience, but I've learned a LOT about how our cars run, and the whole OpenSource experience has been very rewarding for me. Read the tuning threads here to get a much more in depth overview of what I'm talking about and see what system is right for you:

Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

WTF Tuning Threads

Good luck, and welcome to the club!
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-01-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thanks for the very informative response I will read up on the open source tune. I would like to get into learning to actually tune my car my self through opensource tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bgodfrey8 View Post
    Thanks for the very informative response I will read up on the open source tune. I would like to get into learning to actually tune my car my self through opensource tuning
    That's great! Yeah, check out all of the threads I posted then. Those have been my gateway to learning, and were written by very knowledgeable experts on here.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX

Purchase a tactrix cable and have fun

Get you a 09+ wrx turbo

Yeah my wife got me an 08 for a deployment present go figure she didn't the 08 was a fail

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    That's great! Yeah, check out all of the threads I posted then. Those have been my gateway to learning, and were written by very knowledgeable experts on here.
    I wouldn't use the term "experts" to describe the cretins who wrote those threads...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

All 3 are ass bags..

Kidding..

Soy wife just bought me a cobb access port, and just put my downpipe on today. Can't wait for Tom. Was gonna go with the tactrix cable but I guess she wanted to have an access port.

I Support ClubWRX
    im happy with my accessport, its pricey but easy to install, use and log. plus my tuner makes custom maps for it so i can still use it easily.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast