Just bought my first WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just bought my first WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Congrats...

Congrats

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and congrats on the purchase.

I modify all of my cars extensively, but I've never had any issues with warranty repairs. The first and most important thing is to establish a great relationship with the service manager(s) at the dealership and the service guys in general. This starts with a good personal relationship so ask them about their kids, hobbies, etc.

Technically, as some people have sort of stated, the dealer has to prove the modification caused the problem, but in reality, if they did deny something, it would be up to you to prove it did NOT cause the problem. This is where the relationship with your service manager is so important. At the end of the day, they want to do warranty repairs because they get paid for them. At the same time, all of their warranty work is reviewed by a regional manager and other people, so the work needs to be justifiable.

One simple thing that you're already thinking about is to do mods that are easily removed. A tune is the simplest of these, but an air intake, exhaust, sway bars, and some other things don't take more than 20-30 minutes to swap out. And you don't need to remove EVERY mod EVERY time you take the car in for warranty work. Just remove things that are part of whatever part/system you're requesting warranty work on. With regards to modifying your suspension, that's one thing where you're highly unlikely to have any warranty issues, so I don't know why you're so hesitant to change it. The suspension is a pretty basic mechanical system with very little that can go wrong (warranty-wise), so it should be the one thing you modify that you should NOT be concerned about.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Welcome! Id go for some mudflaps, window tint, front lip, short shifter-shifter busings, thicker sways-new end links, new suspension, performance summer tires.. You can always add new rotors, but better brake pads will help a good amount, SS lines, new fluid. You can get a intake just make sure that you get the car tuned for it (cant just slap parts on), BOV's are fine just frowned upon by most WRX enthusiasts since at this level theyre no help besides a noise maker. Turboback exhaust and a tune.. if your just looking for something to make your car handle alittle better, feel alittle quicker and look better go with some of these things. Just some common mods.
    Last edited by Ruh Roh; 01-02-2013 at 06:39 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Your brother own a Honda or a VW by chance?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Your brother own a Honda or a VW by chance?
    Yeah that sounds about right. Pure bolt one and the BOV and racing chip suggestions seems like VW or Honda/Acura.

I had/have the same mindset as you when it came to modding. I'm very hesitant because of warranty. My build thread in the Builds Section shows the things I've done that aren't heavy mods yet. I have intentions of going stage 1 & 2 in the coming months. A cat back exhaust is a fun mod as it gives a great sound and more aggressive sounding than stock.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Lots of good advice in here and I hope you follow it! The people here know what they are doing so please listen.

Definitely read, read, and keep reading. There are a lot of parts out there for these cars and not all of them are worth your time/money.

I think the most important thing for modding a car is to figure out what YOU feel is lacking. To do this you need to DRIVE. Get out there, get to some windy back roads, do some autocross, track days, whatever floats your boat. If something about the car isn't up to your standards or you think it could be improved, research it, ask questions, then buy something if you can. After that, drive some more to get that satisfaction that what you've bought has made the car better. Keep driving until you find something else and repeat.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats and welcome
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK515 View Post
    Hey everyone, new member here and proud owner of a brand new 2013 Subaru WRX. Already in love with it but one of the main reasons I got a WRX is the large aftermarket performance options... I did get the stock model due to prices, but looking to change that up a bit!!

Looking for ideas on what are the first things to add on to it, some idea's that me and my brother came up with are Air intakes, Performance chips, Blow off Valve (they sound awesome IMO).... Looking to see what the WRX community thinks would be the first things to do.. If you have some idea's for me I would appreciate brand names / links etc.

Thanks and glad to join the WRX club!!
    Andy
    Based on where you are from my first "mod" would be winter tires

Congrats on the new purchase!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hi, I'm new here myself

Yes thanks a bunch everyone, there is a vast amount of knowledge in this group of people and I appreciate to have learned some (and I'm sure MUCH more to come) of it, looks like the first thing i have to do is read and research..

And it was an Audi TT lol
    -Andy-

2013 Subaru Impreza WRX (Stock)

Yes first mod should be winter tires especially if its your daily

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlystang View Post
    Welcome!

My '13 is still stock but I know alot of guys go with endlinks/swaybars or ECU flash as a first mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXchet View Post
    ^ this ^

and research, lots of it. i'm still learning and my mods are a Cobb SF Intake + Box, Cobb Downpipe... i got pro tuned because i was having boost problems with the OTS stage 2 maps.
    BOO! No COBB. OpenSource tune!
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    BOV's are fine just frowned upon by most WRX enthusiasts since at this level theyre no help besides a noise maker.
    No they're frowned upon because the stock ECU can't handle them and they can cause your engine to blow up.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Re: Just bought my first WRX

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    No they're frowned upon because the stock ECU can't handle them and they can cause your engine to blow up.
    Lol was this a little exaggerated?

From what I've read, when vented to the atmosphere, the ecu commands the fueling to richen up for a moment... That would not cause an engine to blow up in most all cases. Just probably hiccup during a shift when getting back into the throttle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.