Greetings from South Africa

This is a discussion on Greetings from South Africa within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, So a quick intro, I've always found myself to have a passion for cars and motorcycles, so after ...

Greetings from South Africa

Hi all,

So a quick intro, I've always found myself to have a passion for cars and motorcycles, so after owning a few cars, I ended up getting a 2000 Nissan Sentra 200STI (Basically the B13 chassis - elsewhere looks like the Pulsar N14), had some work done to it, SR20VE enigne swap, SR16 cams, 63mm zorst, custom header, etc - Car pushed around 166kW (+/-224hp), rev limit @ 8200rpm (All motor/ NA).

So I started a new job and got a company car, so my Sentra was just collecting dust and I was afraid that with it standing so much, and me then climbing in and driving it hard, it was only a matter of time before something broke, so I rather decided to sell my pride and joy - saving me on insurance, etc per month for a car that I don't use.

Alas, I longed for something more exciting and ended up buying a 2006 Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle with some racetech slip on exhausts and I must say I really love owning a bike as well.

Long story short, I'm in the process of looking for a new job, and I'll have to get a car again, and I'm looking for something that is more comfortable, a bit newer and makes decent power from the factory (a highly modified car as a daily driver has it's pro's and cons, imho), so I've been looking at getting a WRX.

I was thinking something in the line of either a 2003-2006 (2.0T or 2.5T respectively), but I don't know much about the cars and common issues, etc, so I thought I'd ask the pros - I'm sure ate this stage some of you guys must think: "Why not ask the local Subaru owners?!" - I would do this if the SOCSA (Subaru Owners Club of SAfrica) forum was working, but alas it isn't at the moment, so I've come here as it looks like this is a nice forum and some decent cars on here.

I'll check for some FAQs, but will also be making a thread for some info from you guys that own Subies to get some info on common faults and things to look at when purchasing a used WRX (sadly, I can't afford a new WRX as South Africa's car market is completely f***ed - prices sky high).

Anyhow, some pics of my old faithful pride and joy Nissan:

Old stock wheels and before I fitted the 63mm zorst and custom header:

And some of my "crotch-rocket" lol:

Thanks for looking and cheers!
    Last edited by warhead; 12-28-2012 at 05:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow... 46 views and not a single comment or welcome?!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Greetings from South Africa

Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Hello there!

Hahahaha... my self pity/moaning actually worked?! No wonder woman do it all the time. Just kidding ladies.

Thanks for the welcome, will be doing some more reading on your lovely forums for some more info and then make a decision.

Just for now, have any of you guys bought 2nd hand WRXs? Is there some sort of rule of thumb when buying 2nd hand or should I rather wait until I can buy new?

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I prefer to buy new in general and I personally would be very careful about buying a used wrx or sit (or other muscle torque performance car) as many times people abuse them. Not always of course, but just be very careful. Do they have carfax in So Africa?

Welcome!

There are a couple stickies lying around regarding buying used wrx's/sti's:

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome!

There are a couple stickies lying around regarding buying used wrx's/sti's:

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    +1 on the used car buying thread. Helped me pick out my car!
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Welcome!

So wait...is that a dished and staggered rear setup on a FWD car???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Welcome!

So wait...is that a dished and staggered rear setup on a FWD car???
    Haha... thanks. And... Yes... I know it's not really the way to go, but I love the look of staggered sets, know it's more for RWD. But hey, what's done is done, don't own that car anymore.