First Subaru - 2000 Bugeye WRX... and some questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First Subaru - 2000 Bugeye WRX... and some questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I just picked up my first Subaru yesterday. It's a 2000 bugeye WRX sedan in Sedona Red Pearl, ...

Hey guys,

I just picked up my first Subaru yesterday. It's a 2000 bugeye WRX sedan in Sedona Red Pearl, with auto/tiptronic transmission. It's in immaculate condition and was one of the few unmodded/unthrashed examples I could find in my price range here in New Zealand.

I drove it about 400km on the open road yesterday, and it was awesome!

I do have one question though - response to acceleration down low seems to be really sluggish/slow to react. This is pretty important to me as the car will predominantly be used for daily driving, in traffic and stuff (thus why I got the auto, and mostly just cos I've always driven autos).

How can I improve this? Will a reflash of the ECU and a retune help? Could it be due to the way the ECU has "learned" the previous driver's habits? I've also read that maybe a high stall torque converter could help... whatever that means, haha.

Keeping in mind the context in which I'll be driving the car - mostly in the city, driven reasonably for the most part but with the occasional need for aggressive overtaking etc, which is why acceleration down low seems so lacking. I don't race or anything like that, and don't intend to modify the engine in any extreme way - I bought the WRX because it's a beautiful performance car with enough power to lug all my heavy guitar/music gear around in, while still being awesome.

All advice gratefully accepted and appreciated - please go easy on any stupid questions I may have. I'm really not a car person, truth be told!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome! post some pics please. as you sayu its sluggish with accel, what rpms do u notice it "kick in"? maybe your just experiencing turbo lag and just not used to it yet. check engine light on?

I Support ClubWRX

If no vacuum leaks exist and the car is maintained correctly dismiss it as normal I suppose. The ECU can adjust curves to habits to an extent. A reflash can help provided the petrol in your area is reliably good.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    welcome! post some pics please. as you sayu its sluggish with accel, what rpms do u notice it "kick in"? maybe your just experiencing turbo lag and just not used to it yet. check engine light on?
    Thanks! I haven't got proper pics of it yet, but after New Year I'll be driving it back down to where I live, and I intend to stop and take some cool wilderness/rural shots of it.

I feel like no real power kicks in until above 2500-3000rpm. I can hear the engine rumble but nothing physically really "happens" until that point. Is that turbo lag? This is my first turbo car.

Check engine light isn't on either.

Yes sir that is turbo lag. Completely normal.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Ahhh. Doh. I suspected as much, but didn't have any prior experience to confirm!

So I guess some small mods may be in order once I save up.

What do you chaps recommend as a first mod to make it a bit more nimble for daily driving? Would an Ecutek tune help, or should I concentrate on saving for things like high stall torque converter or up/downpipes?

Do you know if the uppipe has a catalytic converter in it?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Not sure - I'm assuming it does as the previous owner didn't do any mods except for a loud ass muffler.

I am not sure if your car has a cat in the uppipe. I know the early USDM cars do but I believe these are the only models with a cat in the uppipe. Ask around locally and see if your car came with a cat in the uppipe
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I'd say change your transmission fluid and make sure maintenance is up to date. One way to immediately notice an overall difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Emphasis View Post
    I'd say change your transmission fluid and make sure maintenance is up to date. One way to immediately notice an overall difference.
    it shifted like a new car for about 3 hours worth of driving then went back to how it was

Quote Originally Posted by Emphasis View Post
    The automatic isn't supposed to need a tranny fluid change from what I've read, though it has been done. I wouldn't suspect that to be any sort of a problem causer though.

You won't see full spool til after 2500rpms anyway...it's a tiny little 2.0L engine...turbo needs that time to spool up. You can certainly tune to improve it. Research Stage 2 and that will increase your performance nicely.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's a new age car, a turbo, and not an STi model it should have an up pipe cat regardless of home market. However, this is an empirical question: Have a look and let us know for future members searching for the info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.