Newbie to the Subie

This is a discussion on Newbie to the Subie within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! I just bought my first WRX. It's a 2009 WRX premium. I will have photos at some point. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Newbie to the Subie

Hey everyone!

I just bought my first WRX. It's a 2009 WRX premium. I will have photos at some point. Just a run of the mill Impreza. Silver. Has 51,360 kms. I just love it.

However, like most cars, there are flaws. How could Subaru not have equipped this car with HID lights? It blows my mind. I will have to spend a lot of hard earned cash just to upgrade those ugly yellowy halogen projectors. The fog lights will be changed to HID as well in the yellow color. It is a rally car, and needs to look like it. I have seen a few Imprezas upgraded properly, they look fantastic.

What is with the lame exhaust system? I was too excited in my two test drives to pay attention and now am looking at pricing for exhaust and what it involved...it's unaffordable. I hate that exhaust. Makes it hard to shift. Can't hear ANY noises. My stupid Acura TL had more noise then my WRX Rally car. I am a little perplexed. Oh well.

Overall...for the dough...WOW!!!! It's a radical car to drive and sit in. I have read alot of threads about tires and winter. I am new to Subaru too, but decided to buy some dedicated winter rims and tires.

Seems the way to go is change rim size to 16". I am not really convinced this is necessary for daily use even in a "snowbelt". I managed to find a guy with Subaru WRX 17" alloys from a 2007 model that he sold. They had 205/50-17 TOYO Observe G-02 Plus winter tires already mounted. They looked hardly used. Still see all the tire markings. Mounted on my car for $535. Now I have a dope set of winter rims and tires and my stock ones (which are nice IMHO) got a cleaning and stored in my shed. So far, have been hit by two snowstorms in my area, followed by hailstorms, freezing, melting, raining...all combined. Very good tire. Dry road is loud, feels a bit squishy. Decent stick in the rain...but not as good as my Dunlop 235's. However, for me, this tire shines on the Ice. Excellent stopping power. Tire feels like it bites into the ice. In the snow, just as great. With the AWD, getting through bad weather is effortless.

I am in love. However, I am going to stay stock...except for lights, but my lights arent covered by warranty...so they will get changed. Pricing it out to be nearly $1000. Geez. Any help or suggestions...alternatives...would be greatly appreciated. I MUST have HID. I am a light junkie. I even want to change all interior lights to LED white....and tail lamps and turn signals...should ALL be led. I could go on and on. I feel for a 2009 Rally car, its missing these features that should be stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on your first WRX and welcome to the Forum
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats. I've got a 2009 silver premium, also. Is yours a sedan or a hatch?
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Hey man its not a perfect car out of the box. But with a little enthusiasm it can be a great car. you can do a really nice exhaust for cheap compared to other vehicles. My best advice is to do your research thoroughly and make the best judgement based on what you plan on using the vehicle for.

As for wheels, craigslist is a good place to look for stock STI wheels for relatively cheap.
    Rambo ~ I scratched off my VIN plates. Weight savings.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Newbie to the Subie

Nice car. Just an FYI.. Most of the rally car comments ya hear are a bit on the sarcastic side

Subaru equips some of their cars with HIDs. The STi and I believe the wrx premiums both have them stock. They aren't easily retrofit however. Look to lightwerkz for some help in that department.

Exhaust isn't too hard to fix. A decent used catback or axle back can be had for pretty cheap actually. Changing out the down pipe will require a re tune just a warning.

17s will be okay for the snow. Winter traction debate aside, the smaller wheels will allow for cheaper tires and a quieter ride at least. I went down to 17s and haven't had a problem. If you are having issues driving in the winter with 17s, you either need to stay inside, or slow down and adjust your driving.. Neither of which will be remedied by going with a smaller wheel. Just get quality snow tires as you did
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on the car
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ