New guy wanting help and ideas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New guy wanting help and ideas within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello I am from IA. my gf just had a son and my civic coupe isnt big enough for us ...

Hello I am from IA. my gf just had a son and my civic coupe isnt big enough for us all anymore. so i have been doing some shopping around and am in a toss up right now between a WRX STI, WRX, EVO, and Charger. I need to know whats got the power room and good in the snow ,ect. Best all around for price, with ease of working on i guess i just dont want to pay out the ass on something that will break down alot. and need a family car so please let me know

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

I would feel more comfortable with Subaru reliability vs. your other choices. Look at the interior room. You will need winters with either Impreza listed.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I don't think you can go wrong with the WRX, I have a 2013 WRX and have no problems with 2 car seats (lots of headroom to load the kids in). Plenty of power, tons of cargo space (5 door hatchback only) 0-60 faster than the STI and really when are you going hit top speed with children in the car? Great in the snow as long as you have the right tires on. Leave the stock summer tires on and you're in trouble in snow.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would feel more comfortable with Subaru reliability vs. your other choices. Look at the interior room. You will need winters with either Impreza listed.
    thanks that helps me weigh my options a little more
    yea the impreza was the main thing because of way it handles in the winter and then the evo was up there for the same reason but i dont really know the difference between the awd systems does anyone else know any facts (my wife is a dsm fan so i need hard proof against the EVO)

Symmetrical AWD. It really does make a difference in how power and torque is relayed.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnewbe2 View Post
    Hello I am from IA. my gf just had a son and my civic coupe isnt big enough for us all anymore. so i have been doing some shopping around and am in a toss up right now between a WRX STI, WRX, EVO, and Charger. I need to know whats got the power room and good in the snow ,ect. Best all around for price, with ease of working on i guess i just dont want to pay out the ass on something that will break down alot. and need a family car so please let me know
    Welcome and congrats on the son!
    I came from an 03 Eclipse, so I know how you're feeling.
    If you get a lot of snow, the Subaru or Evo is the best choice. I drove a Charger RS rental for about a week and that is a pretty big car, and rear wheel drive. Not the best choice for a snowy world, though it does has ABS and traction control. I didn't drive it in adverse weather so I can't attest to how it handles it.
    I almost bought a WRX, but had the chance to get an STi for a just bit more money.
    The WRX and STi are pretty close in performance, exactly the same size, and have similar options. The biggest noticeable difference is the WRX has a 5 speed, and the STi is a 6 speed. I like both of them.
    I didn't drive the Evo, because there were no used ones in the area, plus I was really looking for a hatch or wagon.
    I went with the STi because it was one of the few family friendly hatches that you can get with a manual transmission and I also liked the more nimble feel the STi has over the Charger.
    The Subie hatch has more carrying capacity then both the Evo and Charger.
    The Charger had a pretty nice interior and decent performance with the 6, but just feels BIG.
    I think mileage between all of them is pretty comparable and I've heard mixed reviews on the reliability on both the Evo and Subaru.
    Overall, I am happy with my STi, pretty good passenger space (it will seat 5) and great performance.
    I was even able to fit a 6' Christmas tree in it, with my kid in the back seat, and close the hatch.

The new Evos are good cars. But Subaru reliability is better. Test drive each and find out what you like best. If you'd prefer safety, I'd definitely go with an AWD option over the RWD Charger. Also, Subarus do have some of the best crash test ratings around. I can't speak for the Evo or the Charger on that, but google could probably tell you.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

ok charger is out then i figured that but my wife wanted it because it looked big and with so much weight she says you dont need awd. because one of her friends had one or something stupid. I have always been set on a sti, well since my sister totaled my evo 8 5 years ago. only problem with test driving them is no one around here will let anyone test drive their car. the dealerships dont keep wrx or sti in stock so i cant test drive them. i put 25k on the table and said i just needed to drive it once to decide if i wanted it. so what does the dealer do puts me in a legacy and says have fun i told him to take a hike. but i think with the way this car hunt is going it will be hard to find one does anyone know a sight that sells just wrx and sti i would like to price some
    and what year range should i get if i go with used

I seem to recall seeing a video a while back comparing different awd systems from different manufacturers in a simulated icy condition, and Subaru's was able to perform better than the others in that particular test.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I used Autotrader to find mine. It will give you an idea of what they are going for in your area. The used ones do seem to sell pretty quickly. I went for '08 or newer, but that was mainly because I knew I was going to have to finance part of it.
    Last edited by STI*NG; 12-17-2012 at 11:12 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Think this will be one-and-done? If not the WRX could become problematic size-wise. It is more than just the # of seats to worry about, consider the stuff you carry too. I know many people work within the limits of a small car and I did it too early on. If you're thinking of multiple kids, think Legacy.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

I Support ClubWRX
    (my wife is a dsm fan so i need hard proof against the EVO)
    Sorry, I cannot help. I've owned a DSM. If your wife needs hard proof against the Evo based on the DSM, I don't know quite what to say. Has your experience with a DSM been satisfactory?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I really loved my Eclipse and no problems with it in the 6 years I owned it. If I hadn't have wrecked it, I wouldn't be posting here, even though it was definitely getting too small for my family.I really hope my STi holds up as well.
    I know that with only one kid, the 5 door will be more than sufficient for us. My wife initially wanted to trade her Civic in for a Forrester, but likes the size of the Imprezza much better.

ok charger is out then i figured that but my wife wanted it because it looked big and with so much weight she says you dont need awd. because one of her friends had one or something stupid.
    Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all. A car just as heavy can get out of control even easier, and be harder to slow/stop in icy conditions. Autotrader and cars.com help a lot. Head to a dealer and order one...you can usually get a good price doing that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Sorry, I cannot help. I've owned a DSM. If your wife needs hard proof against the Evo based on the DSM, I don't know quite what to say. Has your experience with a DSM been satisfactory?
    I think the proof is in what you still see on the road. You see very few Evos, and especially Eclipses on the road compared to WRXs and STIs these days.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I think the proof is in what you still see on the road. You see very few Evos, and especially Eclipses on the road compared to WRXs and STIs these days.
    Where I'm at in Columbus there are tons of Eclipses (at least Gen3 Eclipses anyway). The older AWD turbos are pretty much extinct. Around my area, there are even fewer Evo's, WRX's or STi's of any generation, but I think that's more to rarity, rather than being blown up. I've always been a fan of these cars, so I definitely notice them, but there's just not that many.
    That's one of the things I like about mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast