Spare yourselves, go open source, NOT COBB AP.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Spare yourselves, go open source, NOT COBB AP. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; COBB AP is all a huge hoax. open source is much better of an option. The stupid software froze my ...

Spare yourselves, go open source, NOT COBB AP.

COBB AP is all a huge hoax. open source is much better of an option. The stupid software froze my accessport, and now what was "going to be free" and have "overnight shipping" just costed me $30 to ship that stupid thing to texas, and it will take 4 days... I'm extremely dissatisfied with COBB and probably will never buy another one of their products, which is a shame because this is only my first car and I plan on being in the subaru/modding hobby for a while to come. I now have a brand new downpipe sitting in my room which I can't install... this is killing me!

Oh, so, they should have a new AP shipped back here by next Friday, so, anyone wanna buy an accessport?

EDIT:

I may be a little over-board here. But bear with me, I'm angry!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So you're one guy out of thousands of customers including me who've not had any issues at all.

which is a shame because this is only my first car
    Not only one guy, but one INEXPERIENCED guy to boot. Your frustration is legitimate, your claim that the product is a hoax is not. Be careful what you say and where you say it. Slander is not hard to commit and very hard to get out of. Especially on the internet where nothing is ever truly deleted.

Another thing, who supports you if your open source flash fails midway through or if your laptop freezes at same point? NO ONE. Cobb at least has a support system that you get INCLUDED in the price of the AP.
    Who is going to update the software on your laptop? Who is going to fix said laptop if it ****s on you and you want or need to re-tune? ... no included support for that, comes out of your pocket.

Another point, how much did your laptop cost you? I'm betting it was considerably more than an AP.

/rant.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    You're being pretty petty, kid. Many companies require the customer to provide shipping on warranty issues, when you can't deliver it in person.

Shawn brought up a good point; OpenECU assumes zero responsibility for the product (it's "use at your own risk").
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

@mango: Points valid. It is dead simple to use, I would totally go with Cobb if everything from them weren't so overpriced... but that is the price of R&D.

Just gonna add some info for potential OS users.

If your flash fails half way. DONT turn off your car. Restart the flash.
    I rarely update little opensource software, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure EcuFlash has released updates since my install.
    Laptop... you can use a cheap netbook =P

Then again, I work in IT and should get back to work. OpenSource is my mistress.

I know guys, thats why I put the edit there. I was angry and was saying things I didn't think through. I'm lucky they are fixing it and im not up ****s creek without a paddle

Re: Spare yourselves, go open source, NOT COBB AP.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    @mango: Points valid. It is dead simple to use, I would totally go with Cobb if everything from them weren't so overpriced... but that is the price of R&D.

Just gonna add some info for potential OS users.

If your flash fails half way. DONT turn off your car. Restart the flash.
    I rarely update little opensource software, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure EcuFlash has released updates since my install.
    Laptop... you can use a cheap netbook =P

Then again, I work in IT and should get back to work. OpenSource is my mistress.
    Good advice. It happened to me last week. I didn't panic and I restarted the flash. Boy, was I happy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    The world can't end. I still haven't finished drinking my beer.

I work IT as well.. and I dont get paid to troubleshoot my own stuff, so why should I?

Call it laziness or whatever but I'd rather have an interface that just works. I flashed my car well over 40 times and never once had an issue. Granted, yes they ARE overpriced but as Matthew added, there's R+D costs, ATR tuning software provided, customer support provided.. a forum to go on and ask questions/get answers.. last I checked, open ECU doesn't have any of that. Maybe a forum, but its run by users not by the people that wrote the program.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I work IT as well.. and I dont get paid to troubleshoot my own stuff, so why should I?

Call it laziness or whatever but I'd rather have an interface that just works. I flashed my car well over 40 times and never once had an issue. Granted, yes they ARE overpriced but as Matthew added, there's R+D costs, ATR tuning software provided, customer support provided.. a forum to go on and ask questions/get answers.. last I checked, open ECU doesn't have any of that. Maybe a forum, but its run by users not by the people that wrote the program.
    You have mellowed
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I know guys, thats why I put the edit there. I was angry and was saying things I didn't think through. I'm lucky they are fixing it and im not up ****s creek without a paddle
    Which is why I mentioned that your frustration is legitimate. Because it completely is, there's no way around that. You used a product that was supposed to work and didn't for whatever reason.. point I'm making is that THEY are working with you to fix it. Had this been open ecu and it bricked half way through.. you WOULD be up creek without paddle.. and without car until you bought a new ECU.

As mentioned, I work in IT.. I get to field and engineer new systems on a regular basis. There's something about open source software that is always a slight danger. If it bricks.. its on you to troubleshoot and fix. In the environments I work in, I might not always be able to get access to troubleshoot and fix. It HAS to work.. Software/hardware mfr's that have proper support and documentation are a godsend in a scenario when **** hits the fan.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    Granted, yes they ARE overpriced but as Matthew added, there's R+D costs, ATR tuning software provided, customer support provided.. a forum to go on and ask questions/get answers..
    Wasn't me in this thread.

With Cobb, you get R&D (reverse engineering of ECU logic), a proprietary reflash device, customer support, IP (their base maps), and software that allows the end-user to modify maps (which they used to charge an additional fee for).

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    Maybe a forum, but its run by users not by the people that wrote the program.
    Romraider forums were run by Bill before he went over to Cobb.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-14-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yea, I now can agree that I'm beyond thankful that they are helping fix the accessport. Thanks for not bashing on me, after all I'm still a younger guy who's modding his first ever car, as soon as my parts come im so anxious to immediately put them on, but like most hobbies, with experience comes patience.

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    So you're one guy out of thousands of customers including me who've not had any issues at all.

Not only one guy, but one INEXPERIENCED guy to boot. Your frustration is legitimate, your claim that the product is a hoax is not. Be careful what you say and where you say it. Slander is not hard to commit and very hard to get out of. Especially on the internet where nothing is ever truly deleted.

Another thing, who supports you if your open source flash fails midway through or if your laptop freezes at same point? NO ONE. Cobb at least has a support system that you get INCLUDED in the price of the AP.
    Who is going to update the software on your laptop? Who is going to fix said laptop if it ****s on you and you want or need to re-tune? ... no included support for that, comes out of your pocket.

Another point, how much did your laptop cost you? I'm betting it was considerably more than an AP.

/rant.
    hahaha you called him a boot
    you mlitary?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I have never used the AP, but I am very happy with open source and it's pretty easy (even for a beginner). I have friends that have had no problem with Cobb, and it is an easier solution being plug & play. If it weren't for a lot of research (on this forum) I would have probably spent the money on a Cobb AP, but I had a laptop already and OS just seemed to make sense. Either way, you can't go wrong IMO. Good luck, hopefully the next one works well for you.
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

In the interest of fairness to a great company with a great product who's fully supporting you with your issues, you really should just have the admins delete this thread.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by jling0311 View Post
    hahaha you called him a boot
    you mlitary?
    I read through Mango's post twice til I saw what you meant haha.

to boot - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Just want to clear that up because I don't want people thinking Shawn had made some kind of personal attack
    Last edited by Calvinball; 12-16-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.