When will subaru stop taking orders for 2013 WRX's? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on When will subaru stop taking orders for 2013 WRX's? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Congrats, Mega160...I chose white because it hides the paint chips/scratches well. I almost decided on PBP, but my last car ...

Congrats, Mega160...I chose white because it hides the paint chips/scratches well. I almost decided on PBP, but my last car was blue, and it looked terrible once the paint started to chip from daily driving it. I plan on putting some opti-coat on it as soon as I bring my new baby home to help protect it.

TimboAA, I live in Harford County, Maryland. Nice place to live, and lots of twisty back roads to test her out on. I had to jump on the new car as im expecting to propose to my girlfriend on her birthday at the end of february...

March would really be the perfect time-frame for me, but I wouldnt be too disappointed if it showed up in january/february.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't do it! Don't propose! Just kidding! I purchased my Miata while dating my wife about 4 years ago. She was PISSED! (Not practical, too small, etc., etc.,) We had fun with it though. Now that we just got married in June, she is thinking about kids...and well...it was time for something a little bigger.

I proposed to my wife a couple of days before her birthday (not intentional). People did ask if it was on purpose though. Just make sure you don't ever get divorced...because she will remember you every year. Or perhaps you planned it that way! jk. Good luck and have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by TimboAA View Post
    If you trade in your car, you still get to use your car until your car arrives. I put over 1000 miles on my car from the time the negotiation started until I received my car and I let them know that if it takes them a long time it will have quite a bit more miles on it. I also told them if they take any longer they were going to end up getting my bald snow tires and wheels.

Since you appear new to buying a new car, this is usually how it works:

1. Go to dealer
    2. Test drive cars interested
    3. Work numbers on the price of the car... either play the monthly payment game or the total cost game. This car I played the total cost and the previous two I played the monthly payment game. Use the online calculators and assume you won't get the best rate.
    4. Get the trade-in value of your car (check Edmund's True Market Value and Kelly's Blue Book). Knock off anywhere between a few hundred to a couple thousand depending on your market for what the dealer will actually give you for your trade. The trade-in value of your car is determined at this time even if you aren't picking your car up for about 6 weeks.
    5. Haggle, walk away, do whatever. They can negotiate on all ends of the deal...such as giving you more for your trade, throwing in options, etc. Check out Hassle-free car-buying experience from a nationwide network of certified dealers. - TrueCar to see what the "fair market value" is on your car you are buying to make yourself feel better about the deal you will be offered.
    6. When they say to you, "What can I get you to do this today?" And assuming the deal is okay on your end, tell them you will only do it if you can test drive some outrageous sports car on the lot. For me it was the STI.
    7. Give them a deposit ($100-500 or so)
    8. Wait and drive you car. Do burn outs, speed, don't do any maintenance to your car.
    9. Pick up your car and drive off into the sunset.

This is all decent advice, EXCEPT.
    NEVER, EVER, "play the monthly payment game"
    I was a salesman for years. Closing someone on payment was the best thing ever, made the sale nice and easy...and profitable....for me.
    That's why they always ask you. "We'll, how much can you afford." Or "what do you want your payment to be?" Never answer these questions. Just tell them how much you want to pay for the car. They'll probably ask you many many times, just give them the OTD price every time and they will get the hint eventually.
    Always, negotiate OTD price. Then figure your payment based off that number + interest. Payment too high? Negotiate a lower price or put more down.

The monthly payment game works if you know what you are doing (ie. you know where your numbers should be)...I've watched them try to take advantage of people. I agree the out the door price is the way to go, however, some people just don't think that way.... perfect example, my father-in-law who is given a monthly car allowance from his employer.

When it doesn't work:
    When a salesman ends up making the duration of the loan something ridiculous like 84 months. I have watched that happen before too...that was ridiculous. I found that this method alone is just uncomfortable. Especially when they punch in numbers on a calculator and then show you, "This is what your monthly payment could be." I almost want to laugh at how corny that is. The VW dealer did that to me.

I agree with not telling them how much you can afford...because miraculously everything comes in just above what you can afford. Or...you end up with less car for what you can afford.

As a buyer you should always know what you are comfortable paying and what you want for the duration of a loan if financing.

First car I purchased:
    Started with monthly payment... then the deal fell through (couldn't locate the car) and then I just called dealerships since I needed a car saying, "I will pay $xx,xxx for the car if you have it." At which point we did everything over the phone.

Second car:
    Monthly payment game, but I set the number of months and amount not to go over. (seemed to worked...the dealer Mercedes-Benz was not used to working this way and just did final sale price of the car before fees/taxes, but took forever to haggle...hours...)

The Subaru:
    Final price of the car after my trade - didn't care for this method as much, but was where I wanted it to be. Wife was disappointed I didn't do the monthly payment game. My response to her was I was disappointed that I had to get rid of my convertible.

The best way to fight the monthly payment game is to secure financing up front...that way you can calculate the interest and payments at the vehicle price you want to pay.

On a side note- the dealer quoted me 9,500.00 for my trade, which is maybe $150-200 below pricing guide for the condition of the vehicle and mileage- which I was pleased with. Of course, they said that the value could change based on mileage and any change in condition.

Do you think they would try and hose me on the trade-in once my new WRX comes in? When you think about it, the OTD price is already set, and I have already secured financing up-front. Really, this is the only feasible area where they could squeeze me.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I dont think that the value of a vehicle can drop by several thousand dollars in a matter of maybe 2 months.

They shouldn't try to hose you on the value of your trade if the only thing you do to it is drive it. If they do, walk away. The only reason they would typically change the value on your trade would be if something major happened like the bumper falling off or the engine blew up....or say you add an outrageous amount of miles within that time. But by all means, drive your car. I was up front with them saying there could be another 1000 to 2000 miles or so in the time it took them to get the car.

You could run the trade-in value of your car with a few thousand extra miles if you're worried, but it shouldn't change the value too much.
    -Tim
    2013 Dark Gray Metallic WRX Station Wagon

Good to know, thanks TimboAA- this dealer is probably the largest in the state, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until it comes time to take delivery and sign the papers.

I only plan on daily-driving to work as normal. Might not put any more than 2500 extra miles on her before it's all said-and-done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12