New to the Club, Bugeye all day..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the Club, Bugeye all day.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I have been a member of this forum for some time now and have yet to introduce my self. ...

New to the Club, Bugeye all day..

So I have been a member of this forum for some time now and have yet to introduce my self. The primary reason being that I didn't have anything to write, when I joined back when I did I was on the verge of buy a WRX but that fell through and that was pretty the end of that venture. Recently though, things have change. i posted this over @ another Impreza forum and thought i would post it here too considering i consider my self to be one of the family now. Enjoy.

Hey there guys and gals,

I am the new kid on the Block. My father and I recently acquired a 2002 Impreza WRX, with a 5 speed manual with the Check engine light on. He and I both love the car and have loved them always. I my self have been into the Impreza since first watching it in rally races back in 1998. one of my all time favorite Imprezas will remain the 2000 Impreza STI RA. We purchased the car used with 140,000 miles (mint huh?). The car does have a stock top mount intercooler, a "different" turbo what ever that means, an HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Aftermarket black wheels, what we believe to be a turbo back exhaust (catted), aftermarket up pipe, and a "6 puck bronze clutch", stock spoiler, factory installed accessory Boost gauge.

The WRX had what I measured out to be a 3" drop (front ride height of 12.75" and rear of 12.55"), measuring from top of fender to center of wheel center cap. Versus "stock" ride height specifications. The car handled horribly, bounced all of the time. Very dangerous, we were told that the previous owner lowered the car the cheapest way possible. He cut the springs (wtf) so we ordered a cheap set of 1.5" DNA brand drop springs ($75) from eBay, (I know with a proper set of springs and shocks the car can and will drive even better but we were low on cash and needed an immediate fix) and installed them our selves. Bingo, drastically better handling instantaneously.

Next we scanned the codes that the check engine light put out, 1 code came up. P0031 (front O2 sensor) alright so we'll handle that soon enough we thought. Next the Upper rad hose sprung a leak. Bought a new hose, some coolant and voila fixed. we continue driving the car for a few hundred more miles, but the car would not run well at all, when you got on the boost the car seemed to "over boost" and putt very harshly. So we decided to change the spark plugs and see if that helped. After the old plugs were removed we found them to be crappy AC Delco's, We replaced them with NGK Iridium IX plugs, test drove it and once again Voila we were driving a completely new car. Though it still seems to hit a "fuel cut" when WOT at the upper RPM's of the 4th and 5th gears.

Next we jacked the car up again to change the oil because it was darker than Tar. Chucked the crappy fram filter and replaced it with an OEM subaru filter. New model OEM Magnetic Drain plug and Walmart 5 Quart jug (4.8 qts of which we used) of Mobile 1 5w30 Full synthetic motor oil and she had new blood running through her veins. While we were were changing filters we decided to change the fuel filter as well with an OEM unit :-)

So at this point we are very tired of seeing that damn yellow check engine light constantly on, so we bite the bullet and purchase the O2 sensor from amazon. A Bosch unit on sale for about $97 dollars (great deal huh?), get it in the mail a lot of PB blaster and some time later we were done. Checked the codes again before we cleared them and now we have 3 codes up (wtf?). P0031 (front O2 sensor), P0546 (EGT Sensor), and P0244 (Turbocharger wastegate solenoid A range/ performance) <~~ huh? To remedy the EGT code we did the 2.2ohm resister mod and solved that problem, I cleared all of the codes and the relentless check engine light was finally out. Hooray...

Just took the WRX to Glanzman Subaru today to handle a couple of recalls and was told about this site from the parts guy. So i joined and here we are, proud new members. Thanks for taking the time out to read this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome; excellent story, congrats on the car and the wrenching. Pics?
    2010 WRB WRX wagon

Welcome! Sounds like a pretty involved situation, so I am not going to give input based on my limited knowledge.

I really wanted to post though, since you seem to be in my area! Glanzmann is my local dealership, and I am very local to them.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm betting dollars to donuts that car isn't tuned for any of those mods and is running leaner than a gangta. I think you'll see the CEL again, and that's likely part of why the car is sputtering at WOT.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Alright guys, these photos were taken the day after we bought it. (She's a dirty girl)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4653.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	110277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	110278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4656.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	110279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4657.jpg 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	110280
    (Notice the aggressive drop)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4659.jpg 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	110281
    Last edited by Autostar116; 12-11-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: editing the license place number out..

Thanks for the response, yes it is certainly an involved situation. Any and all information now and in the future would be appreciated though. It is quite unfortunate that the vehicle has been raped before she came to our hands but in due time we expect her to be at her best. Nice to meet you bud, I live in Philly, I take it you're in jenkintown?

I am betting that you are correct sir, and agree that before long the CEL will be back on. We contacted IAG Performance down in Maryland and were told about the "Protuning" that we really want to do, just have to save up a few bucks first. Not to mention that we want to upgrade the car and get it tuned all in one shot. Planned mods at the moment are not unlike others; VF39 turbo, STI pink injectors, STI TMIC, Walbro fuel pump, COBB Accessport..

Welcome! Glanzman has a great rep in our area.

I'm willing to bet you don't have a tune on that car and should look into getting that sorted out immediately. Getting a Tactrix Open Port 2.0 cable and a laptop to do some logging could really help. Once you get it tuned, you'll have a whole new beast that will certainly perform up to par much more reliably.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Autostar116 View Post
    I am betting that you are correct sir, and agree that before long the CEL will be back on. We contacted IAG Performance down in Maryland and were told about the "Protuning" that we really want to do, just have to save up a few bucks first. Not to mention that we want to upgrade the car and get it tuned all in one shot. Planned mods at the moment are not unlike others; VF39 turbo, STI pink injectors, STI TMIC, Walbro fuel pump, COBB Accessport..
    Don't worry about the Accessport if you plan on getting protuned all in one shot...save yourself some monies
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Welcome! Glanzman has a great rep in our area.

I'm willing to bet you don't have a tune on that car and should look into getting that sorted out immediately. Getting a Tactrix Open Port 2.0 cable and a laptop to do some logging could really help. Once you get it tuned, you'll have a whole new beast that will certainly perform up to par much more reliably.
    In my very limited knowledge of the subie world I have Not* heard of this ^ i'll look into it. Thank you and it is great to learn that there are more and more Scooby enthusiasts in my area. All around me there are only Honda/Acura guys. (I have an 05 RSX too but Scooby for life) do you know of any Subaru meets in these parts?
    Last edited by Autostar116; 12-11-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: meant to say that I had NOT heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Don't worry about the Accessport if you plan on getting protuned all in one shot...save yourself some monies
    Lets say for instance that we did the Protune first, would there be a benefit to getting the accessport after? or vice versa?

I Support ClubWRX
    Lets say for instance that we did the Protune first, would there be a benefit to getting the accessport after? or vice versa?
    It doesn't work like that. The AP or the Tactrix OP are flashing methods. If you are using a Cobb certified tuning shop, you'll need an AP to be able to flash new maps. If you're going through an OpenSource tuner, then the Tactrix is all you need. OpenSource is less expensive, and argueably opens up greater potential as far as tuning and logging flexibility, but the AP is a compact, user-friendly package, and offers centralized customer support through Cobb.

For my part, I bought an AP when I first got into Subarus, but have since sold it, and am now headed down the opensource path. There are pros and cons to either one.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

^Nailed it. No need to say exactly the same thing

In my very limited knowledge of the subie world i have heard of this ^ i'll look into it. Thank you and it is great to learn that there are more and more Scooby enthusiasts in my area. All around me there are only Honda/Acura guys. (I have an 05 RSX too but Scooby for life) do you know of any Subaru meets in these parts?
    I too came from a RSX-S. And yes, I'm in the Jenkintown area.

There's some regular meats that go on. A long standing one is the Victory Brewing fun run/lunch. Usually happens at least a couple times a year, though the last time some people were breaking the rules so...who knows. A few of us recently got together for a cheesesteak meat, which I somehow got put in charge of. I imagine that will happen again. Keep an eye on the tri-state area subforum.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    It doesn't work like that. The AP or the Tactrix OP are flashing methods. If you are using a Cobb certified tuning shop, you'll need an AP to be able to flash new maps. If you're going through an OpenSource tuner, then the Tactrix is all you need. OpenSource is less expensive, and argueably opens up greater potential as far as tuning and logging flexibility, but the AP is a compact, user-friendly package, and offers centralized customer support through Cobb.

For my part, I bought an AP when I first got into Subarus, but have since sold it, and am now headed down the opensource path. There are pros and cons to either one.
    Alright, so I did a little research on the IAG Performance site;IAG Performance AccessPORT Pro Tuning Services for Maryland, PA, DE, VA Subaru WRX, STI, Forester XT, Legacy GT, Spec B, Turbo. Protuning, Access Tuner, AP tuning, COBB Tuning, MD, Baltimore, Owings Mills, Towson, Glen Burnie, Cockeysville, Columbia, and it seems to me that they are a Cobb Accessport protuning shop. I don't know what that means exactly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.