How high to you let the tach get before you shift from first to second?

This is a discussion on How high to you let the tach get before you shift from first to second? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm a new WRX owner (2013 CBS WRX sedan). I'm still adjusting to the car, and I want to treat ...

How high to you let the tach get before you shift from first to second?

I'm a new WRX owner (2013 CBS WRX sedan). I'm still adjusting to the car, and I want to treat her right. During "normal" acceleration, how high to you let the tach go before you shift from first to second? Does this change when you are trying to improve your gas mileage? How about when you go all out? I've been playing around with it, but I'm still not sure where the sweet spot is. I had it all worked out with my old 5 speed Tiburon, but this is a very different beast. All the later gears feel very intuitive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarostar View Post
    I'm a new WRX owner (2013 CBS WRX sedan). I'm still adjusting to the car, and I want to treat her right. During "normal" acceleration, how high to you let the tach go before you shift from first to second?
    As soon as possible, so as low revs as possible.

Does this change when you are trying to improve your gas mileage?
    No, because I'm always trying to improve my gas mileage. Subaru did not try hard enough, so I have to do my best to make up for their error.

How about when you go all out?
    Then, keep the needle always between the rpm of max torque on the low side and the rpm of max HP on the high side, never letting it go lower or higher. Different set of circumstances entirely.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    My goals when driving the car are a big mix:

1)Driving enjoyment
    2)mpgs
    3)Driving smoothly

That said, where I shift is largely dependent upon circumstances. If there's a slow car right in front of me, there's no point in taching much past 2500rpms...but if I have a clear road and no reason to be slow, I typically shift between 3000 and 4000 rpms. That works well with the tall 1st gear that Subaru deigned to give the '02 WRX, so that I can stay in a decent powerband. It's worth noting that I have a larger-than-stock turbocharger. I shifted a little earlier when the car had the stock snail.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I usually shift around 2500rpms when driving normal and 6000 when having fun. The stock turbo runs out of steam on the top end so no need to really run it out any higher.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi