The first 1000 miles
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The first 1000 miles within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Are the longest 1,000 miles ever. Every time the turbo starts to spool I hit 4000 RPM and 'have' to ...

The first 1000 miles

Are the longest 1,000 miles ever. Every time the turbo starts to spool I hit 4000 RPM and 'have' to let off the gas. What a tease! I should hit 1000 miles around Christmas....Merry Christmas!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: The first 1000 miles

It is tough, but you should know that you are 'allowed' to rev above 4000 rpm. Sustained revving above 4000 rpm is what is frowned upon according the the manual.

Just be smart and smooth.

As the miles worked up towards 1000, I'd pull more revs and more boost progressively.

I'd keep the load low and run it up to 4500 and ease back off of it. I kept the boost down under 5lbs for the vast majority.

Just drive easy and smooth. Be progressive, and don't horse on it. Should be just fine.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Quote Originally Posted by TimboAA View Post
    Are the longest 1,000 miles ever. Every time the turbo starts to spool I hit 4000 RPM and 'have' to let off the gas. What a tease! I should hit 1000 miles around Christmas....Merry Christmas!
    but you know you love the foreplay

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    but you know you love the foreplay
    Oh baby!

Quote Originally Posted by raceoholic330 View Post
    It is tough, but you should know that you are 'allowed' to rev above 4000 rpm. Sustained revving above 4000 rpm is what is frowned upon according the the manual.
    "Do not race the engine. And do not allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency." - The Manual.

Just to clarify and add in the direct quote. Personally I don't interpret this statement the same way that you seem to.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 12-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I turned the 1000 mark today. It took me two weeks.

Once broken in (currently sitting at 590 miles with spirited runs to 4000-4500 RPM in 3rd, 4th, and 5th)....what is the highest RPM you guys have hit?

Ever take it close to red line stock?

That being said...what is the lowest RPM you run in any gear...suspect do not go lower than 2500?

Final question...please correct me if I'm wrong...our 2013 WRX needs a minimum of 91 octane...not 93? (which is what I have fed my WRX since day one)...if so, what national brand of gas sells 91?
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Final question...please correct me if I'm wrong...our 2013 WRX needs a minimum of 91 octane...not 93? (which is what I have fed my WRX since day one)...if so, what national brand of gas sells 91?
    Use whatever Premium gas is available. In our case it is 93oct. You will not find 91oct here. You can get 92oct at Sunoco stations though.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

91 octane. I haven't been able to find a gas station that sells 93 here in Montana. I go lower than 2500 quite often. I don't think its a problem unless your bogging down the engine.

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Likely due to your elevation in Montana. Higher elevation sees sales of lower octane ratings due to improved combustibility of fuel at elevation / etc.

Here in the Springs our low mid high octance is a step lower that what I could buy back at sea level in the south.

The Manual:
    http://i.imgur.com/AxLsc.jpg

Currently sitting at almost 750 miles or so. I haven't gone past 4,300 RPMs yet.
    I'm in Massachusetts and I can find 93 almost everywhere. There are a few stations that like to sell premium out here as 91 Octane. It's usually those stations that have that too good to be true price for premium.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.