about to buy a 2008 wrx need opinions
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

This is a discussion on about to buy a 2008 wrx need opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So ive got a 2008 WRX im looking at, it has 90,000 miles, however they are only asking ,000 for ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4

    about to buy a 2008 wrx need opinions

    So ive got a 2008 WRX im looking at, it has 90,000 miles, however they are only asking $14,000 for the car. So i guess my question is: are 2008's reliable? and should i worry about that kind of mileage? is it good that they put that many on the car in a short period of time?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User STiZzle2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    19
    Is the car stock? Doing a compression test would be a great place to start.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by STiZzle2010 View Post
    Is the car stock? Doing a compression test would be a great place to start.
    The only thing that isn't stock is the intake, not sure what brand it is.. thanks! Is the 08 a bad year for WRX?

  5. #4
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,971
    If the intake isn't stock, then there needs to be a tune as well. No tune, no deal.

    Otherwise, 90k is a lot of mileage for 4 years, but it's not absurdly so. What are your plans for the car? How long do you intend to keep it? Would you be buying it outright, or financing it (I would be hesitant about financing a car with close to 100k miles, that's just personal), do you have access to a service history?

    If it is advertised as stock and clearly has an aftermarket intake...keep looking.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  6. #5
    Registered User UEDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by daveion2002 View Post
    Is the 08 a bad year for WRX?
    The worst.
    No BS.
    Plus at 90k you're looking at major maintenance(timing belt for one)
    Last edited by UEDan; 12-04-2012 at 07:07 PM.

  7. #6
    Registered User DiRty Impreza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    210
    ^This
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

    06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    If the intake isn't stock, then there needs to be a tune as well. No tune, no deal.

    Otherwise, 90k is a lot of mileage for 4 years, but it's not absurdly so. What are your plans for the car? How long do you intend to keep it? Would you be buying it outright, or financing it (I would be hesitant about financing a car with close to 100k miles, that's just personal), do you have access to a service history?

    If it is advertised as stock and clearly has an aftermarket intake...keep looking.
    It wasn't advertised as stock. Yeah it is, mostly highway miles its a one owner and i have service history that looks really good. Why was this such a bad year? I'm coming from a 2001 BMW which was the biggest pain in the ass ever so I don't want to end up with another pain.

  9. #8
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,971
    It is considered a bad year because:
    1. The next year saw an increase from 224 hp to 265, so it is retroactively comparatively worse.
    2. Subaru softened up the suspension to try and make it more comfortable, I guess to attract more customers. Instead it alienated the performance buyer base.
    and 3. The styling is considered by many to be quite bland.

    Again, you need to find out if the car was tuned. If it has an aftermarket intake and was not tuned or tuned improperly...you don't want that car.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 12-05-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    It is considered a bad year because:
    1. The next year saw an increase from 224 hp to 265, so it is retroactively comparatively worse.
    2. Subaru softened up the suspension to try and make it more comfortable, I guess to attract more customers. Instead it alienated the performance buyer base.
    and 3. The styling is considered by many to be quite bland.

    Again, you need to find out if the car was tuned. If it has an aftermarket intake and was not tuned or tuned improperly...you don't want that car.
    Thats a substantial difference in HP what was the difference? Ohhh okay i thought there were major mechanical issues, like with my bmw for example the vanos going bad or it dumping all its collent haha. Thanks for the info Ill find out if it was tuned.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •