about to buy a 2008 wrx need opinions

This is a discussion on about to buy a 2008 wrx need opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So ive got a 2008 WRX im looking at, it has 90,000 miles, however they are only asking ,000 for ...

about to buy a 2008 wrx need opinions

So ive got a 2008 WRX im looking at, it has 90,000 miles, however they are only asking $14,000 for the car. So i guess my question is: are 2008's reliable? and should i worry about that kind of mileage? is it good that they put that many on the car in a short period of time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is the car stock? Doing a compression test would be a great place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by STiZzle2010 View Post
    Is the car stock? Doing a compression test would be a great place to start.
    The only thing that isn't stock is the intake, not sure what brand it is.. thanks! Is the 08 a bad year for WRX?

If the intake isn't stock, then there needs to be a tune as well. No tune, no deal.

Otherwise, 90k is a lot of mileage for 4 years, but it's not absurdly so. What are your plans for the car? How long do you intend to keep it? Would you be buying it outright, or financing it (I would be hesitant about financing a car with close to 100k miles, that's just personal), do you have access to a service history?

If it is advertised as stock and clearly has an aftermarket intake...keep looking.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by daveion2002 View Post
    Is the 08 a bad year for WRX?
    The worst.
    No BS.
    Plus at 90k you're looking at major maintenance(timing belt for one)
    Last edited by UEDan; 12-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.

^This
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    If the intake isn't stock, then there needs to be a tune as well. No tune, no deal.

Otherwise, 90k is a lot of mileage for 4 years, but it's not absurdly so. What are your plans for the car? How long do you intend to keep it? Would you be buying it outright, or financing it (I would be hesitant about financing a car with close to 100k miles, that's just personal), do you have access to a service history?

If it is advertised as stock and clearly has an aftermarket intake...keep looking.
    It wasn't advertised as stock. Yeah it is, mostly highway miles its a one owner and i have service history that looks really good. Why was this such a bad year? I'm coming from a 2001 BMW which was the biggest pain in the ass ever so I don't want to end up with another pain.

It is considered a bad year because:
    1. The next year saw an increase from 224 hp to 265, so it is retroactively comparatively worse.
    2. Subaru softened up the suspension to try and make it more comfortable, I guess to attract more customers. Instead it alienated the performance buyer base.
    and 3. The styling is considered by many to be quite bland.

Again, you need to find out if the car was tuned. If it has an aftermarket intake and was not tuned or tuned improperly...you don't want that car.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 12-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    It is considered a bad year because:
    1. The next year saw an increase from 224 hp to 265, so it is retroactively comparatively worse.
    2. Subaru softened up the suspension to try and make it more comfortable, I guess to attract more customers. Instead it alienated the performance buyer base.
    and 3. The styling is considered by many to be quite bland.

Again, you need to find out if the car was tuned. If it has an aftermarket intake and was not tuned or tuned improperly...you don't want that car.
    Thats a substantial difference in HP what was the difference? Ohhh okay i thought there were major mechanical issues, like with my bmw for example the vanos going bad or it dumping all its collent haha. Thanks for the info Ill find out if it was tuned.