WRX Horror Stories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Horror Stories within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm shopping for an 09+ WRX (non-STI). I've figured that much out. Riddle me this... You hear a lot ...

WRX Horror Stories

So I'm shopping for an 09+ WRX (non-STI). I've figured that much out. Riddle me this...

You hear a lot of WRX/STI horror stories. People blowing pistons, clutches getting burned within the first 10k miles, transmission issues, etc. I know that the 2008 WRX is one to avoid because of squishy suspension and the older WRX engine (pre-refresh).

Is there validity to these stories? What goes wrong, typically, that spurs these horrific tales? I come from the turbo VW world, so I'm not a stranger to unreliability :facepalm: but for Project WRX, I want to really "get it right" and not buy "the wrong model year" or whatever.

Comments, thoughts, stories, and angry retorts are all welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You bought a WRX. You bought the wrong car for a project.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Meaning, are the ones that go bad typically modded?

Sorry, I know I'm a subie n00b.

Find a 2010.

First off, what kind of project are you looking into? What are your goals?

The transmissions on any WRX aren't notoriously strong...and usually can handle power up to around 300whp, that is of course if you don't abuse it. Don't go launching like an idiot or slamming gears around.

2009 MY had a run of production vehicles that had some internal engine issues that would occur in the first 10k-30k miles or so. Those usually included late 2008 build date models. Many of these had the engines replaced under warranty from Subaru and are now fine. But of course, it's still possible some may still be around which haven't been replaced. And the later build date models for 2009 don't encounter the same problems.

Clutches get burned cause most people can't figure them out and a lot of people try to learn on these. For every clutch burned, there's hundreds of people that haven't had an issue.

But if you're interested in a project, as with any car, be ready to pay to play. Subarus are certainly much more reliable than almost any VW out there, simply cause we don't have electrical problems, or the older owners don't herrafrush/stance the **** out of these cars like the newbs are starting to do (why kill the handling characteristics of a car thats made to handle nicely?)...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Well, my '09 is no horror story, and has had none of the aforementioned issues. I will blame driver abuse/neglect for 99% of the problems.

"Every modder needs a helper. That's why I got a Subaru." (Sorry guys, hehe!)

OK I need to clarify. Quite frankly I'm not interested in a project. I called the buying process "Project WRX" because I make up names for everything.

Now that said, I bought my VW GLI as a project, and I am just over the lowrider stance scene that VW has become. I want a fun stock car that I can do visual mods on.

Thanks for the input. I was guessing the same thing about the clutches. Probably a lot of young kids get these, and have never driven stick before...
    Last edited by thebanker; 12-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.

You should be fine.

In your search though, just do your best to find a one owner, stock WRX that has a good documented maintenance history and you should be fine. If you aren't planning on doing anything huge, you'll be fine. Just take care of it like you would with any car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
    , and I am just over it, and the lowrider stance scene that VW has become.
    Ahh... a breath of fresh air. I heartily agree with you sir!

Here's my take on online stories: They are true, but for every horror story, there are going to be hundreds of others who have never had a problem. People don't usually post on the forums: "I drove my car today, and not one eventful thing happened". For what it's worth, my car (a 2003) has been bulletproof. Keep up on regular service and maintenance intervals (as you should for any car), and Subarus will run great.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Ok cool. I'll report in with the build dates of the various cars I look at for the full evaluation.

I love the 03's, I wish they still made them look like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
    I love the 03's, I wish they still made them look like that.
    Rep'd for that! Bugeyes ftw!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, Bugeyes are the best.

Now rep me
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Don't be leeching my rep, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Ahh... a breath of fresh air. I heartily agree with you sir!

Here's my take on online stories: They are true, but for every horror story, there are going to be hundreds of others who have never had a problem. People don't usually post on the forums: "I drove my car today, and not one eventful thing happened". For what it's worth, my car (a 2003) has been bulletproof. Keep up on regular service and maintenance intervals (as you should for any car), and Subarus will run great.
    I drove my car today, and not one eventful thing happened.

Common sense and maint. are key to avoiding issues in most any vehicle.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

My gas pump bill is a horror story...
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast