first oil change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on first oil change within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i recently purchased a 2013 subaru wrx premium and was wondering when should i do the first oil change? the ...

Smile first oil change

i recently purchased a 2013 subaru wrx premium and was wondering when should i do the first oil change? the dealer i brought it from put a sticker on the car saying that it should be down at 3500 miles but the maintenance schedule says the first one should be done at 7500 miles.
    which one is it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

break in is until 1000 right? ive never owned a new car but i would change it after break in.

Registered User Jonney Knuckles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    break in is until 1000 right? ive never owned a new car but i would change it after break in.
    I just hit 1000 miles on my '13 WRX and lan on doing an oil change this weekend, then again at 3k miles..

yea break in is at 1000 miles Book says to just keep the rpm under 4k and no hard acc and decl

also is my engine anEJ257 or an EJ255?

I Support ClubWRX
    I did my oil change at 3500 miles just like it says in the addendum to the manual. You can change the oil at any time if you have spare money to throw away.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Interval for N/A engines is 7K mls. For the turbos it's 3500 miles. And synthetic oil...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Since 2011 the latest bulletins from Subaru standardize the 7500 mile change with synthetic for turbos. That said, during break-in your engine will load up the oil with a variety of different things - including tiny metal shavings from the internal parts that are making their first regular contact. The 3000-3500 mile change is a great idea, and the last time you will need to do it earlier than the 7500. I did 3000, 7500, then 7500 for each remaining interval (15000, 22500, 300000, etc).
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Is it easily doable on own? How much do dealer charge? How many qt needed?

I Support ClubWRX

first oil change

Quote Originally Posted by luckyone.666 View Post
    Is it easily doable on own?
    Yes, but keep the receipts for both the oil and the filter for warranty purposes.

How much do dealer charge?
    As much as they can. Ring and ask, they vary.

How many qt needed?
    Maintenance info and capacities are in your owner's manual.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i just bought a 2013 premium as well, and my dealer set up 2 free oil changes for us. the fist on being one month after the purchase date. i will probably only have close to 1k miles at that time.

Because it is a brand new engine I changed my oil at 1000km and then went with the regular schedule of 6k, 12k ... etc

I just purchased a 2013 WRX with a maintenance program up to 45k miles included into my financing. (talked them down super low on the service contract cost, got 40% off) It includes all the synthetic oil changes, tire rotation and maintenance service's listed in the book such as one at 7.5k 15k 30k ect.

What is included with the service contract is synthetic oil and oil filter change at 3750, 7500, 15,000 and every 7500 miles after that up to 45k.

I talked to the service adviser manager and said I feel a lot more comfortable doing one at 1k after break in. He said can do it if I want to pay out of pocket but with full synthetic oil and new tolerances of the new engines it isn't necessary. I checked my oil at 1.5k and it still looks new and didn't go down at all. The color and smell has not changed.

He said some customers that have the maintenance plan will bring it in between the 7.5 mile intervals if they beat on it real hard. Lets say you go on a long trip up in high altitude in mountains and get stuck in heavy traffic for 4 hours like going up to lake tahoe or if bring it out to track or whatever.

On my 2011 Outback I had synthetic put in at 500 miles, then at 3000 miles. Then I was changing it around every 5k miles. Looking back at it I think it was just a waste of money and time. I am confident with full synthetic that first change at 3750, next at 7500 and every 7500 after that will be sufficient. I will save money on changes, time to spend changing it and its better for environment. Back on my older subarus I would change it myself every 4-5k miles using full syntetic and a K&N oil filter but the prices in synthetic have went up a lot in last 5 years.

Some will disagreed like I did when I had my 2011 Outback but in the end i think it comes down to personal preference. Some will do changes every 3k using full synthetic. Im going to go with the 3750, 7500, 15,000 and every 7500 after that unless I bring it to track or beat on it really hard then will have one done in-between if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jling0311 View Post
    i recently purchased a 2013 subaru wrx premium and was wondering when should i do the first oil change? the dealer i brought it from put a sticker on the car saying that it should be down at 3500 miles but the maintenance schedule says the first one should be done at 7500 miles.
    which one is it?
    Last edited by SantaCruzMntsWRX; 12-05-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Lots of chat online about the 3750 vs 7500 mile OCI's with the 11+ models. If you check your maintenance book it indeed states 7500 OCI's but if you check in the notes it also states 3750 miles for severe use. This includes a list of driving conditions like sort trips, cold weather driving, aggressive driving, etc..

So in other words, unless you do mostly all highway cruising like grandma you need to stick with the 3750 mile OCI's unless you have a UOA proving otherwise in your particular situation.

Personally, I dumped that thin Subaru oil at 1000 miles for some German Castrol and will continue to use it.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

The factory installed oil filter is a bit difficult to get off, but other than that, the oil change is relatively easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyone.666 View Post
    Is it easily doable on own? How much do dealer charge? How many qt needed?
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast