low torque while taking turns...or too much! Help....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on low torque while taking turns...or too much! Help.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't know about the other years, but if you have a 2013 WRX you'll know what I mean. Taking ...

I don't know about the other years, but if you have a 2013 WRX you'll know what I mean.

Taking corners while a douche is on your ass:

1st option: Neural around the corner and rev matching 2nd Gear at 15-25ish mph after the corner is complete. (This is what I do and its wrong)

2nd option: Dropping 3rd in the turn lane and then bogging down around the corner..gross.

3rd option: Being a boss and rev matching 2nd as your making the turn. (Putting it in 2nd as your turning the wheel as opposed to before)

4th option: Rev matching 2nd in the turn lane at high RPMs (sounds like the engine is working really hard) Fun to do sometimes, but not practical for everyday driving.

I think the true way would be (Option #4), but matching just seconds before turning the wheel...if that's the correct way I'll start practicing, but it's so damn hard when someone is 3 feet in front of you. Rev Matching at a braking car makes me anxious to say the least + it's still too fast for 2nd IMO (For everyday driving)

Either way any comments are appreciated...I know someone has the answer!!

Regards,
    BlackonBlack

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Select the gear for the turn before the turn if you are are on a track or worried about upsetting the car like on a loose or icy surface. Otherwise for day to day driving It really doesn't matter what option you choose, but I would not bother with rev matching in what sounds like bumper to bumper traffic. A missed shift or botched heel toe resulting in an accident is not worth having power out of the turn. If you are in third before the turn and under 20 after I would just shift after the turn day to day.

I Support ClubWRX

Stress has a way of accumulating, it's insidious. I don't think any of the choices matter, it's traffic on a public road.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Re: low torque while taking turns...or too much! Help....

I'll double clutch heel toe into 3rd or 2nd depending on speed. Adds a little joy to my commute =)

Posted from a fone.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOnBlack View Post
    I don't know about the other years, but if you have a 2013 WRX you'll know what I mean.

Taking corners while a douche is on your ass:

1st option: Neural around the corner and rev matching 2nd Gear at 15-25ish mph after the corner is complete. (This is what I do and its wrong)

2nd option: Dropping 3rd in the turn lane and then bogging down around the corner..gross.

3rd option: Being a boss and rev matching 2nd as your making the turn. (Putting it in 2nd as your turning the wheel as opposed to before)

4th option: Rev matching 2nd in the turn lane at high RPMs (sounds like the engine is working really hard) Fun to do sometimes, but not practical for everyday driving.

I think the true way would be (Option #4), but matching just seconds before turning the wheel...if that's the correct way I'll start practicing, but it's so damn hard when someone is 3 feet in front of you. Rev Matching at a braking car makes me anxious to say the least + it's still too fast for 2nd IMO (For everyday driving)

Either way any comments are appreciated...I know someone has the answer!!

Regards,
    BlackonBlack
    5th option: Slow down and pull over as much as you can letting said douche pass. Be a sensible human being who doesn't put the lives of others at risk.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Don't slow down ahead of time, as you approach the corner drop it to 3rd ~4500rpm (no brake).. at the last second jam on the brake hard, heel toe to 2nd ~5000rpm, sharply turn in aiming directly for the apex. There's a balance in braking where the weight shift will aid in traction to the front wheels, but not so much that the rear lifts and slides. As you pass the apex of the corner go from hard on the brakes to hard on the gas. You can carry more speed out of the corner if you enter at a steeper angle allowing you to get on the gas harder with more room to exit the corner.

Remember that the tires only have a certain amount of grip, whether that is being used for braking, cornering, or accelerating. The harder you're braking or accelerating generally the less traction you have for cornering (although like I said, the weight transition while braking aids in traction to the front wheels helping to prevent understeer).

Follow my advice and one of four things will happen.. you will leave the tailgater in the dust.. you will crash.. or they will carry too much speed into the corner trying to follow you and they will crash. I guess if they're a bad ass they might pass you mid corner in full drift and burn your bumper with an epic fireball as they disappear down the road ahead of you (but that doesn't happen often).

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Don't slow down ahead of time, as you approach the corner drop it to 3rd ~4500rpm (no brake).. at the last second jam on the brake hard, heel toe to 2nd ~5000rpm, sharply turn in aiming directly for the apex. There's a balance in braking where the weight shift will aid in traction to the front wheels, but not so much that the rear lifts and slides. As you pass the apex of the corner go from hard on the brakes to hard on the gas. You can carry more speed out of the corner if you enter at a steeper angle allowing you to get on the gas harder with more room to exit the corner.

Remember that the tires only have a certain amount of grip, whether that is being used for braking, cornering, or accelerating. The harder you're braking or accelerating generally the less traction you have for cornering (although like I said, the weight transition while braking aids in traction to the front wheels helping to prevent understeer).

Follow my advice and one of four things will happen.. you will leave the tailgater in the dust.. you will crash.. or they will carry too much speed into the corner trying to follow you and they will crash. I guess if they're a bad ass they might pass you mid corner in full drift and burn your bumper with an epic fireball as they disappear down the road ahead of you (but that doesn't happen often).

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    5th option: Slow down and pull over as much as you can letting said douche pass. Be a sensible human being who doesn't put the lives of others at risk.
    This. Letting yourself get excited by an idiot behind you will encourage you to race. This leads to injury to yourself and others or the attention of the police. Play with your car when you're not under any pressure to "win" and do it where it's safe.

Option 6:
    Get the car and the driving skills to leave any tailgater in the dust easily. I have to say it's quite a nice feeling.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Option 6:
    Get the car and the driving skills to leave any tailgater in the dust easily. I have to say it's quite a nice feeling.....
    Option 6 is not as easily attainable for most people.

Re: low torque while taking turns...or too much! Help....

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    SWIM, just tried this to the. Works great in the rain(take THAT TSX!).... so I've heard from SWIM....

Posted from a fone.

Just do your own thing....it really depends on the corner.

I rev match on downshifts all the time. Not to be confused with heel/toe....just a blip between gears to minimize clutch wear.

Thing to remember is that if he's tailgating you and hits you from behind, he's at fault. You have just as much right to be on the road as anyone else. I won't bog or race the motor of my vehicle because of some idiot with no patience.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    SWIM, just tried this to the. Works great in the rain(take THAT TSX!).... so I've heard from SWIM....

Posted from a fone.
    I'm confused, so...

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I have no idea what this thread is talking about.

Who cares about the guy on you. Let an asshat be an asshat. You don't have to do or prove anything.

Take a turn normally. Downshift and rev-match into 2nd or even first depending on speed as you approach said turn, brake in and clutch in when necessary, turn in and accelerate as normal.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Option 7: Flip the asshat the bird, heel-toe down into second, then get a new wife.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.