Buy a 2013 WRX or wait for the new model?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buy a 2013 WRX or wait for the new model? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, As if you haven't guessed, I'm new here. I don't have a WRX yet, but want one very ...

Buy a 2013 WRX or wait for the new model?

Hey everyone,

As if you haven't guessed, I'm new here. I don't have a WRX yet, but want one very bad and will use my Xmas bonus as a down payment for a pearl white Premium 5 door.

I just read, however, that they are revamping the entire car. Downsizing the motor to decrease fuel consumption while keeping the horsepower the same or slightly better and redesigning the exterior.

I wanted to get your opinion as to whether I should wait or not until it comes out.

I need a hatchback because I need the room. I have a mountain bike racing team and I need the additional room to go to different mountain bike trails and race. I need the space. My Doberman also needs the lift gate so he can jump in the back. I like a car that's super fast, fun to drive, and can also be used for my hobbies and my dog.

Anyone have any idea if what they plan on doing with the size of the car, interior and exterior?

Thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by Thumper07; 11-30-2012 at 11:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper07 View Post
    Downsizing the motor to increase fuel consumption while keeping the horsepower the same or slightly better and redesigning the exterior.
    My hope is that they'll decrease fuel consumption. If so, this is a step in the right direction in my view.

I wanted to get your opinion as to whether I should wait or not until it comes out.
    Since you are asking, you don't need a car. If you needed a car yesterday you'd have gotten one already. Time is on your side. So is money. They don't want the cars, they want the money. Since you have the money and don't need a car, if I were you I'd wait.

Anyone have any idea if what they plan on doing with the size of the car, interior and exterior?
    There are several speculative threads. Nothing concrete stated in them though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

SDGR,

Thanks yes that was a typo, I meant Decreasing.

No, I don't NEED a car. I currently have a 2012 Ford Edge 2.0 turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper07 View Post
    SDGR,

Thanks yes that was a typo, I meant Decreasing.

No, I don't NEED a car. I currently have a 2012 Ford Edge 2.0 turbo.
    I suspected as much. This is all my personal opinion, but it might be useful because there are many people on car fora that will say the opposite, so you're getting what could be a rarer view: I like money. In fact I like money more than cars. I'd rather have money than cars. So, I'd wait. The longer I keep the money, the better. Just me.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Re: Buy a 2013 WRX or wait for the new model?

You will probably be waiting a while. I highly doubt the new platform will be released as a MY2014 vehicle. MY2015 seems much more realistic.

ha ha "I like money" reminded me of the movie Idiocracy. Half the people I talk to say "Get it now because models are always changing and getting better so no matter what year you buy they will always come out with a better one after you buy it" and the other half say "you have a brand new car, put your money in the bank"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by raceoholic330 View Post
    You will probably be waiting a while. I highly doubt the new platform will be released as a MY2014 vehicle. MY2015 seems much more realistic.

and you would know this how, exactly?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Fact of the matter is, no one knows what changes will be made. The only real stipulation you made was that you require a hatchback. The way I see it, there are a couple possibilities. The redesign will include a four door hatchback model, or it won't. Now on to your options and their ramifications:

Buying the car now: You know you can get a hatch. If you can afford the lower gas mileage buying now, then you can plan to continue affording it. If the redesign comes out and it's all that you dreamed of and more, you can trade in your 2013 for it, and you will then have payments for x extra years.

Not buying the car now: You don't know for sure that the redesign will fit your requirement of space. Alternatively there are other 4 door hatchbacks that are "super fast, fun to drive, and can also be used for my hobbies and my dog" to an extent similar to the wrx (mazdaspeed3, focus st, to name a couple) that will most likely still be available in their current forms. Or Subaru could still offer a 4 door hatch that will fit your needs.

A bunch of dudes on the internet can't make this decision for you, especially given the fact that no one really knows what the redesign will be like. I swear to beer if I see one more thread of someone claiming they have an idea of what the next wrx will look like, and then posting that ugly camo test mule that used to be proclaimed all over the interwebs as the BRZ tester 3-4 years ago, I may have to drink some whiskey to calm my nerves.

Weigh your options as I outlined them above, accept input from others and yourself to add to those thoughts, then make a choice. Finally, I would argue that one more piece of important information in this decision process is this: how important is AWD to you?

Ok I'm done.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Wow. well said
    - 2011 WRB STI

Cobb stage II tune ~ Invidia TBE * Cobb Intake

My first suggestion is to buy an STI - maybe a few years old and stock.

Second, with the '13 you know what you are getting and the '08+ generation WRX has proven a great value that makes good power.

I am sure the newer generation will be great too but who knows. You can always wait a little and maybe find a good '12 or '13 around next fall anyway if you decide that is the way to go.
    2012 WRX 5 door WRB

Protune, Cobb Airbox, Cobb DP, SPT Exhaust, Short throw, DBA 4000 slotted rotors, Hawk Racing Pads, Goodridge lines, Whiteline front and rear bars and endlinks.

Buy now if you like it and think the car is awesome. The WRX/STI are great vehicles and the only minor complaints besides waiting are a ****ty sound system and thin paint. Go for a test drive and ask yourself why wouldn't you buy it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

and you would know this how, exactly?
    I can tell the future, didn't you hear? But seriously, the typical evolution of a new car platform takes a long time from conception to production. I have a hunch that Subaru wants to keep 2014 the year of the Forester. If Subaru does not unveil a new WRX/Sti within the next few international auto shows in early 2013, the new one won't be a 2014 model.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.