WRX-7 new subaru owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX-7 new subaru owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, just bought a 2013 wrx premium. first subaru for me. i've owned many cars, 87 300zx turbo, 2 ...

WRX-7 new subaru owner

Hello everyone, just bought a 2013 wrx premium. first subaru for me. i've owned many cars, 87 300zx turbo, 2 t-bird SC's, mark viii lsc and 4 rx-7's. the rx-7 is hands down my favorite toy. i still have an 88 turbo II with 40k that takes up my garage space.

anyway i'm really looking forward to learning about the wrx and will like to slowly modify it as time goes on. these seem a little more technical to modify then my 80's rx7s. it's starting to get cold up here in the north east (rhode island) i look forward to taking a few pictures of the "wrx-7" crew and posting them.

any helpful hints or words of advice on the break in (car is still under 100 miles) and modifications will be greatly appreciated. thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rx7 005.jpg  
    Last edited by scott01hickey; 11-29-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: adding text

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Welcome aboard. These are great cars, and based on the cars you've listed it should fit well with what you are experienced in. As far as advice, read around these forums and focus on the stickies - tons of great info there on everything from break-in to modding, with a variety of informed opinions.

BTW - love the '88 RX-7, and I'm glad you still are able to hold on to it. I had an '88 Anniversary Edition (the all white beauty) and loved it. Great looking car with terrific handling and all the RWD turbo fun you could ask for. Drove it for years ... until the first kid came along - not much room for a baby seat in there.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Welcome man. And thats a pretty car you got der

Quote Originally Posted by scott01hickey View Post
    anyway i'm really looking forward to learning about the wrx and will like to slowly modify it as time goes on. these seem a little more technical to modify then my 80's rx7s. it's starting to get cold up here in the north east (rhode island)
    Welcome and congrats!

Given that you are in Rhode Island, first piece of advice...you'll be needing some different tires for winter! These cars come with summer rubber stock, and they are worthless in winter weather. In fact, beyond worthless to the point of dangerous.

Many of us have two sets of wheels for this very reason.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

thank you for the words of advice, its sad that my car has under 100 miles on it and i've already put new "snow" tires on it. so silly.

welcome! fellow Rhode Islander here with a built 06 sti

The car before my WRX was an 86 rx-7. I still miss it but this car is quite fun in a slightly different way. Do not get rid of that immaculate FC.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome both cars are very nice
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

thanks jeremy, i dont plan on getting rid of the 7... not for long time.

chris - hi nice to meet a wicked awesome ri member!

new question:

the turbo and bov in my rx7 is a very loud and prominent sound in the cockpit, granted the rx7 is not stock and my wrx is, however i cant hear anything in the wrx. i have read that there is an air intake silencer on older model sti's and wrx's. does my 2013 wrx also have an air intake silencer that i can remove or is this only on the older models?

here is another picture of my rx7's. a few teaser photos until i can get them with the wrx.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails car 052.jpg  
    Last edited by scott01hickey; 12-06-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added text

the turbo and bov in my rx7 is a very loud and prominent sound in the cockpit, granted the rx7 is not stock and my wrx is, however i cant hear anything in the wrx. i have read that there is an air intake silencer on older model sti's and wrx's. does my 2013 wrx also have an air intake silencer that i can remove or is this only on the older models?
    Yes, I believe it's located on the right hand side behind the front bumper. There's a how-to in one of the stickies on taking it off. I believe you can either take off your bumper and remove it that way, or if you remove your airbox/intake you can get to it? I've also heard you can take it out without taking the entire bumper off and just reaching in through the right wheel well after taking a couple push clips out. Hope that helps and I'm sure some of the other members could shed more light on the matter. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my '13, so I've been doing a lot of reading here on the forum about these types of things and learning about the car as well!

Welcome! I love your RX's, both are beautiful cars. I had always wanted a twin turbo Z as well, but all passed me by in affordability back in the day.
    There is a silencer on the stock air box that is easily removed and will increase the intake and turbo noise slightly. No cutting is required, it can easily be put back on should you need to and it doesn't require a retune. It is located in the right fender well, but you only have to take the airbox out to remove it, which is a bolt and a screw. I just did it on my 09 STi yesterday.
    I replaced my BOV for the same reason, the stock WRX/STi is very quiet and I wanted to hear some turbo noise! Most of the guys on the forum don't seem to think too highly of replacing the BOV, but there is a pretty good section on it.
    I personally love the sound and it did seem to help with the throttle response. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Yes, I believe it's located on the right hand side behind the front bumper. There's a how-to in one of the stickies on taking it off. I believe you can either take off your bumper and remove it that way, or if you remove your airbox/intake you can get to it? I've also heard you can take it out without taking the entire bumper off and just reaching in through the right wheel well after taking a couple push clips out. Hope that helps and I'm sure some of the other members could shed more light on the matter. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my '13, so I've been doing a lot of reading here on the forum about these types of things and learning about the car as well!
    thanks, i've read that thread but i think they are talking about a different generation then ours. maybe ill take the inner fender cover off and just look for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    Welcome! I love your RX's, both are beautiful cars. I had always wanted a twin turbo Z as well, but all passed me by in affordability back in the day.
    There is a silencer on the stock air box that is easily removed and will increase the intake and turbo noise slightly. No cutting is required, it can easily be put back on should you need to and it doesn't require a retune. It is located in the right fender well, but you only have to take the airbox out to remove it, which is a bolt and a screw. I just did it on my 09 STi yesterday.
    I replaced my BOV for the same reason, the stock WRX/STi is very quiet and I wanted to hear some turbo noise! Most of the guys on the forum don't seem to think too highly of replacing the BOV, but there is a pretty good section on it.
    I personally love the sound and it did seem to help with the throttle response. Enjoy!
    thank you, thats all i needed to hear. looks like i'll be spending saturday morning at the shop this weekend. i think my wife wants me to do some christmas shopping too! oh well...

thanks, i've read that thread but i think they are talking about a different generation then ours. maybe ill take the inner fender cover off and just look for myself.
    I'm not sure which thread you were reading but there should be a 2011/2012 modification sticky with this and other popular modifications and should apply to our generation. Forgot which section the sticky is in but I imagine it wouldn't be very difficult to find.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no intake silencer on 3g WRXs. But there is an intake silencer on 3g STIs & Foresters.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast