idle speed

This is a discussion on idle speed within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys i am now the proud owner of a 13 subaru wrx premium i live in nyc how long ...

idle speed

hey guys i am now the proud owner of a 13 subaru wrx premium i live in nyc
    how long should i warm up the car before taking off?
    and when i turn it on this morning the idle was at almost 1.5k rpm is that normal? (i have a bike where the idle is at 1.4k but when cold it'll reach up to 2k rpm. what is the idle suppose to be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My routine:
    Start car
    Choose radio/music
    Tidy up whatever is on the passenger seat
    Put seat belt on
    Go

Idle speed is based on coolant temp. The latest stock ROM I can find is from '09, but I'd guess your table would look similar:
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yes its normal, mine idles around 2k when its cold. Its usually safe as soon as it drops below 1k rpms.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Yep it's normal. You don't have to wait for your car to warm up completely. You can drive it just fine even when the idle is high. Just don't go beating on it or gunning it until it's up to operating temp. When you do start it, let it idle for a 20-30 seconds though at least to cycle oil through the engine (which is what Matt above eludes to by seatbelting, checking radio, etc.).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I second what Mikie13 said.

Until it's warmed up, keep both the rpms and load low. It will warm up faster if you wait 30 seconds and start driving easy.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune