Another convert to the family OR new baby dictates a new car....

This is a discussion on Another convert to the family OR new baby dictates a new car.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Still doing final shopping to find the right deal, but my search parameters of 1) vehicle with 210 + HP ...

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar

Another convert to the family OR new baby dictates a new car....

Still doing final shopping to find the right deal, but my search parameters of 1) vehicle with 210 + HP 2) room for a baby seat behind me 3) room for dogs in car but away from baby for short trips 4) fun to drive but can use as commuter and 5) AWD . I ended up with about 2 other options and the WRX. So the WRX was the only vehicle that made the final cut.

Currently am looking to get a base or premium level 5 dr. Only real features I "need" are arm rest extension, fog lamps, roof rack and becoming a distant desire is the All Weather package. Colorado driving and a daily commute into Denver....

Current vehicle needs to go for a number of reasons, primarily doesn't allow for a rear facing car seat behind an adult and need to be able to keep the dogs off the kiddo.

05 Volvo S60R. AWD Turbo manual. Love driving it but she just doesn't fit the life any more...

ignore the no grass, I wrapping up landscaping the yard and will put grass in once winter is done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sell baby, buy upgrades. Sell wife, enjoy life.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Get a hatchback for sure. You can put the dogs back there and they will be unable to bother the baby unless they jump the seat. I have a 1.5 year old son and both his car seats fit fine right behind the drivers seat. Volvo's are nice cars. Why not get a Volvo station wagon? How reliable has your Volvo been?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

og, I have been under - impressed with the reliability of the car. I love the look of the wagons and the luxury features of the car, but simply tired of the constant little things that have to be fixed on it and the cost of each fix. Stupid stuff like $1500 for a headlight and $500 per corner for the electronically controlled shocks. Some features are awesome, just tired of the constant drain.
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 11-28-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: removed the 1 from the shock price.

Welcome!

I'd definitely look at the hatch.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

My wife and I are looking to start a family. I'm coming from a much smaller car than you (Miata) and I went with the hatch for the versatility factor. Have fun!

Re: Another convert to the family OR new baby dictates a new car....

I would take the fog lights off the "need" list, they don't work very well. With that said, definitely go with the hatch. The 08+ models have plebty of space in the back seat. I have 3 kids (out of car seats) and they all fit fine back there. If I ever felt like letting my hound dog in the back, he'd fit.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by AmateurX; 11-29-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I have 2 kids (3 and 2 years old) in baby seats. The hatch is great (minus the issue I have), and I fit a new dishwasher in packaging back there with the seats down, but there are rear anchor points for the car seats (we HAVE to use them in MA - something about keeing the kids safe in the event of a crash...) that make the hatch kind of useless with 2 seats in the back. 1 might not be so bad, but if you have a large dog even 1 anchor will cramp his style in the back hatch area.

But with the rather large Aero car seats, both my kids (both just about 36" tall) can extend their legs and kick the back of my seat, but they have leg room if they want to just sit like normal kids. They did kick the back on my seat one time before we had a 'discussion'.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 11-30-2012 at 05:21 AM.

I know the rear seats in the S60 aren't very big, but I'm surprised you can't fit a rear facing seat on the passenger side. That doesn't take care of the dog problem though, which will definitely require a hatch or SUV.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yep, if the rear facing seat is installed, the passenger seat has to be completely forward which only allows seating for someone with no legs...

Good to hear about 2 little ones and the ability to get dogs in the hatch. We only have midsize dogs for now, not planning on getting big monsters, like 60 lb max.

Can anyone expand on the "fog lamps aren't very good"? I will search around to see what else has been posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Yep, if the rear facing seat is installed, the passenger seat has to be completely forward which only allows seating for someone with no legs...

Good to hear about 2 little ones and the ability to get dogs in the hatch. We only have midsize dogs for now, not planning on getting big monsters, like 60 lb max.

Can anyone expand on the "fog lamps aren't very good"? I will search around to see what else has been posted.
    I think the problem most find is that the fogs are not aimed properly from the factory.. Nothing you can't do yourself though... I believe.. Not sure on that yet.

Registered User Jonney Knuckles's Avatar
    I just bought a new '13 WRX hatch and I have a 2 year old god-daughter and two 75 lbs dogs. The dogs are a little cramped in the back area and i can hear them hit the back when I do a slight 2nd gear pull but my god-daughter loves it and tells me to do it again. But she also has a forward facing seat behind the passenger seat with no problems with leg room for either her or my passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I have the Limited with HIDs. I'd heard the fogs weren't aimed properly, so I messed with the adjustment screw, all the way on both directions. I didn't notice a significant difference. Bottom line: i can't see them when they're on, ever.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me