Getting back in a Subaru

This is a discussion on Getting back in a Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I am about to purchase a 2013 WRX Sedan, not sure on color or trim. Leaning towards a limited... ...

Getting back in a Subaru

Hello,

I am about to purchase a 2013 WRX Sedan, not sure on color or trim. Leaning towards a limited... But the dealers said "well, haha they are lim-i-ted"... So I'm assuming he had no plan to locate one for me.

Anyway, I have a question that I have searched, but I am not satisfied with the results.
    I would like to know the "best way" if possible, to break in the 2013 wrx.
    With my previous cars, I usually shifted at 2k RPMs and started to slowly work my way up to redline with about 35-50% throttle after 1k miles on the car.

But what has everyone done in their own experience, and what would the best recommendation be for a proper and reliable break in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It says in the manual to keep the revs below 4500 and vary your speed...(no cruise control).

I took the approach to only put a light load on the engine for the first 500 miles or so. After that....would run it up to 4500 (maybe a hair more) and some low boost (5lbs max) until I got to 1000 miles.

I've got over 2000 miles on it now, and have still been taking it easy for the most part. Few redline runs, and a few 10lb + boost pulls.

Think common sense is the best method. Made sense to me at least. Maybe I am too easy on it, but just tried to be progressive with it and give it more load and rpm as the mileage increased.

Oh alright, that's not too bad. Thank you.

I agree with what you have to say, it makes sense to me.
    Seems safe, and I'm sure the engine will last as well.

You are right, there are lots of varying opinions on this. I've never seen any real empirical evidence to suggest that one way is significantly better than another, so I go by what the manufacturer of the car tells me to do.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Follow the manual...it's there for a reason. I'd also give it a bit of boost mixed in just so you are certain the boost system and turbo are up to par from the factory. Just don't go beating the hell out of it like some of the morans (morons) suggest who show up here and leave while butthurt after 4 posts.

Welcome and congrats on the pending purchase!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thank you very much everyone, this is all extremely helpful.

I must say though, I am no supporter of the "motoman" hard break in procedure.
    That's just ridiculous, I recommend reading it of you are in for a good laugh.

Thank you for the warm welcome as well, it's nice to be on a forum with some civilized and/or well educated enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by durp View Post
    Thank you very much everyone, this is all extremely helpful.

I must say though, I am no supporter of the "motoman" hard break in procedure.
    That's just ridiculous, I recommend reading it of you are in for a good laugh.

Thank you for the warm welcome as well, it's nice to be on a forum with some civilized and/or well educated enthusiasts.
    Glad to have ya!

Though, you may find that there is an uncivilized side to the regulars here too, especially if you partake of the chat feature...

Conversations tend to degenerate into "bewbs" and "because racecar" frequently
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"