Mods for newbs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mods for newbs within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Upgrayedd Attachment 109904 Amazing. I would face plant them bewbs so hard. Originally Posted by Rambo Whoa, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post

Amazing. I would face plant them bewbs so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Whoa, a little NWS warning would have been nice there. Good thing my boss isn't around...
    It is SFW...shows no nips
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Amazing. I would face plant them bewbs so hard.
    She is amazing. Kate Upton has a couple Youtube vids that are totally worth checking out as well

hellloooooooooo nurse!!

--Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Question for anyone:

Which is smarter to buy, what are the differences between a catted and catless DP?

Re: Mods for newbs

Well a cat less will offer the least restrictive flow after the turbo.. But I'm sure just like on many other cars, you need to turn off the o2 sensor code for the cat readings.

Also, echeck would come into play with going cat less...unless they don't do a visual inspection to see if it's there. Then you should be good.

Unless the o2 isn't extremely sensitive to the absence of a cat. Then you may be able to leave the code set to report...

Fyi, im more used to fully custom tuning software,(HP Tuners), other car is a 99 grand prix if anybody didn't catch it in the name haha so I'm used to full tables and tens of thousands of frames of data lol

So this is definitely new to me on how the ap works. So if i said anything wrong then I would appreciate if someone could correct me

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    Unless the o2 isn't extremely sensitive to the absence of a cat. Then you may be able to leave the code set to report...

Fyi, im more used to fully custom tuning software,(HP Tuners), other car is a 99 grand prix if anybody didn't catch it in the name haha so I'm used to full tables and tens of thousands of frames of data lol

So this is definitely new to me on how the ap works. So if i said anything wrong then I would appreciate if someone could correct me
    It's not the O2 sensor that will be your concern, boost creep (in this circumstance) is caused by the lack of back pressure and the effective pressure difference pre-turbine and post-turbine. I won't get into the details unless you are curious.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It's not the O2 sensor that will be your concern, boost creep (in this circumstance) is caused by the lack of back pressure and the effective pressure difference pre-turbine and post-turbine. I won't get into the details unless you are curious.
    No go ahead and explain. I crave any extra knowledge I can. I just think it's odd how most turbo engines respond better to a full flowing 3" downpipe... So if you would, continue.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    No go ahead and explain. I crave any extra knowledge I can. I just think it's odd how most turbo engines respond better to a full flowing 3" downpipe... So if you would, continue.
    Don't say I didn't warn you...

Boost creep occurs when the flow of exhaust is unable to bypass the turbine. This may be due to an insufficiently large wastegate or due to the wastegate's inability to open fully, causing the exhaust to build pressure behind the turbine. As the pressure builds, the boost increases and the BCS is unable to regulate the boost effectively; the waste-gate is at maximum capacity.

As is the case with the movement of all standard fluids, the general flow will move from high-pressure to low-pressure. By removing the catalytic converter entirely, you have effectively increased the pressure differential pre-turbine to post-turbine (post-turbine now has less back-pressure). As such, the movement of the exhaust across the turbine and through the bypass will be more rapid than was the case with the stock equipment. If the wastegate was close to maximum flow with the stock equipment (as was the case with 2006-2007 WRX and the TD04L-13T), installing an aftermarket downpipe will increase the flow to the point of inducing boost creep. A downpipe with a high-flow cat may provide just enough backpressure to be resistant to boost creep. This cannot be tuned out. The methods of dealing with boost creep are as follows:

1.) Adjust the wastegate actuator arm (WGA) to a looser setting. This may allow the wastegate to open more fully, curbing boost creep. Be aware, however, if the WGA is loosened too much, the wastegate will remain partially open and the car will have a difficult time making target boost at anything less than WOT.

2.) If adjustment of the WGA is not effective, one can port and polish the wastegate. This allows for smoother/cleaner airflow through the wastegate and will reduce the chance of boost creep.

3.) When port and polish/enlarging the wastegate is not feasible, the next solution would be to install an EWG (external wastegate). External wastegates are much larger vs. internal wastegates (IWG) and should have no difficulty bypassing the necessary amount of air should the EWG be matched with the turbo.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Ok I gotcha.. So pretty much, these cars need a certain amount of back pressure where as other cars, it is mostly a myth.

So in a nutshell, being a driver of an '07 WRX, it would be smarter for me to go w/ a catted DP.

Thanks!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
    So in a nutshell, being a driver of an '07 WRX, it would be smarter for me to go w/ a catted DP.

Thanks!
    Likely a simple WGA adjustment would be sufficient to reduce boost creep, but be prepared to PnP the wastegate. Or you can go with a Catless DP and a used EWG for roughly the same price as a catted dp

Facebook me here

So it seems though, that this "boost creep" is an occurrence in relation to an internal wg. When an ewg is presented into the equation, it negates the effect of boost creep.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Likely a simple WGA adjustment would be sufficient to reduce boost creep, but be prepared to PnP the wastegate. Or you can go with a Catless DP and a used EWG for roughly the same price as a catted dp
    mind=blown

This is what I'm currently looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Invidia-Subaru...I3H8SHD7T2BXHT
    Last edited by Upgrayedd; 11-30-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: additional info

Not bad. That's catless though.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast