My new WRX feels Huge

This is a discussion on My new WRX feels Huge within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm pretty sure I could fit a refrigerator in it. Ok, maybe a mini-fridge. I also feel like I'm as ...

My new WRX feels Huge

I'm pretty sure I could fit a refrigerator in it. Ok, maybe a mini-fridge. I also feel like I'm as high up as an SUV! Ok, maybe I exaggerate. Ok, I am coming from an '08 Mazda MX-5 that was my daily driver. Life changes (first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes family planning) warranted the move to this station wagon.

After placing my order in the first half of October it finally arrived. Kudos to the dealer and salesman for not installing the front plate and giving me a voucher to get it inspected after I figure out how to mount the plate without drilling holes. I may try to make my own tow hook mount one, but until then I will come up with a temporary non-drilling solution. I'm not dropping $70 on a license plate holder. The car arrived with 4 miles and I received it with 6.

I will miss her. This was the hardest car to leave behind at the dealer :

Someday I will again own a 2-seater rear wheel drive roadster. I will truly miss driving around with the top down...year round and to the ski mountains. It was practical, really, it was. I could fit a laundry basket in the trunk, a snowboard on the luggage rack, and a bike rack on the trunk. The bonus was I never got asked to be a car pool driver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axrYo.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the new car! I'm just the opposite. I feel super low to the ground after coming from a 1990 F250.

I agree on the size. Im 6'6" and can comfortably get 2 car seats in the car. Manual and turbo 4banger is an automatic must have for the family man.
    Jason
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue 5dr-- TurboXS Catback, Forcewerks Front Lip, STI STS, 20% tint, 18x9.5 +34 Miro 398 with a 255 tire.
    1987 Ford Mustang 5.0-- Stock S/D 5.0, 150 nitrous, full drag suspension, 2900lbs with me in the car.... hanging tires since 2005. 11.97 @ 115mph with a 1.54 60ft

I felt the same way coming from my 06 Honds S2000.

Funny thing is that I never realized how small the S was until I traded it for the WRX.

With this car there is more body roll, but the suspension is pretty darn good right out of the box.

The other thing is that in the S...if you were going fast...you knew it. In the WRX, I've been going waaaay faster than I thought I was several times. Easy to get into trouble....lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Our other two cars are a Ford Ranger and a minivan, so my 2002 wagon on Prodrive springs feels like a Polaris missile on days when I drive it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Congrats on the WRX

I traded a 4 door JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Sport Soft Top in on my 2013 WRX, complete difference all around
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats and welcome!
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

So far, I like the suspension on this car. Especially for a car of this size and weight. It's amazing how the size of a previous car effects the feeling in this car. It feels almost as big as my wife's Forester! I'm just not used to having much of a car behind me anymore. Part of the reason for the hatch was better visibility out of the back. Personally, I'm not sure I would enjoy driving a sedan with a high trunk...where is the end of the car??

I agree with the comment regarding speed. I didn't need to go fast to have fun in the Miata...at least until I added better sway bars and suspension components. I find myself watching the tach, primarily because the manual says not to take it over 4000 RPMs (unless it's an "emergency"). I feel like when I hit 4000 RPMs the car is just getting going and wants to take off. Before I knew it I was quickly in speeding ticket territory.

Quote Originally Posted by TimboAA View Post
    I find myself watching the tach, primarily because the manual says not to take it over 4000 RPMs (unless it's an "emergency"). I feel like when I hit 4000 RPMs the car is just getting going and wants to take off. Before I knew it I was quickly in speeding ticket territory.
    Happened to me as well. You'll get used to it, and then want to mod! It's inevitable...
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Mods on this car will be light. I hope. Only future plans are sway bars and end links for now. Now to find a winter tire/wheel setup!